Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range. - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range.

This is a discussion on Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range. within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Originally Posted by BMcEL The idea is to not put yourself in a situation where 11 miles is the difference between walking and making it. ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcEL View Post
    The idea is to not put yourself in a situation where 11 miles is the difference between walking and making it.
    Guess this means staying on the interstates. No thanks. I rather modify my bike to go where I want to than modify my journey for the bike.
    motorock likes this.
    When I was fast, motorcycles were slow.
    Now motorcycles are fast and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle, unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
    Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966.

Junior Member 2 wheels and a motor's Avatar
    Member #
    My usual ride is 133 miles from home to work and then 133 miles back home. I rode home the other day using "Standard" and "A" modes. The route I rode home was mixed 45 mph- 80 mph. I ended up averaging 46.3 mpg. I was thrilled! I have approx. 1,200 miles on my machine. I run premium unleaded. Stock tires. In general, I have been running about 100 miles before looking for fuel station, just to be on the safe side...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1duckyboy View Post
    Guess this means staying on the interstates. No thanks. I rather modify my bike to go where I want to than modify my journey for the bike.
    Yep, only interstates have enough gas stations for an FZ. That extra 11 miles is really going to expand your horizon.
    2008 YZ450F - Supermoto (build)
    2014 YZ450F - Offroad/MX
    2014 FZ-09 - Street

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcEL View Post
    The idea is to not put yourself in a situation where 11 miles is the difference between walking and making it.
    Every drop counts, every mile walked too. Sometimes, s**t happens.

Member #
    Sometimes you need to squeeze those extra miles out of every tank fill, since there is not a lot of gas stations along the way.

Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range.-long-ride.jpg

That equals 144 miles through the mountains. There is one gas station at about the half way point at the intersection of highway #11, which may or may not be open???

So you best take a couple of these along just in case.

Name:  fuel-bottles.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  7.7 KB
    ryderjay and 1duckyboy like this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    Looks like sightseeing at the same pace as all the cagers would be the best way to do the parkway and have plenty of gas left in the tank. No matter how you ride it, it's a beautiful route.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheels and a motor View Post
    My usual ride is 133 miles from home to work and then 133 miles back home.
    Yikes! They must be paying you REALLY well or you love where you live...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by motorock View Post
    Every drop counts, every mile walked too. Sometimes, s**t happens.
    If you have to rely on that extra drop to get you there, you were asking for trouble to begin with. Shit happens less than sometimes to those that plan ahead a little.

Where are you guys frequently riding that doesn't have a gas station every 100-120 miles? And if you're in this situation often enough to worry about wringing a few extra miles out of the tank, wouldn't a different bike with longer range maybe have been a better idea? Me no comprende.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_MTN_FZ09 View Post
    Sometimes you need to squeeze those extra miles out of every tank fill, since there is not a lot of gas stations along the way.

That equals 144 miles through the mountains. There is one gas station at about the half way point at the intersection of highway #11, which may or may not be open???

Extra fuel is never a bad idea, but in that situation it would be easy enough to call ahead to the gas station at the half way point and make sure they're open.
    2008 YZ450F - Supermoto (build)
    2014 YZ450F - Offroad/MX
    2014 FZ-09 - Street

Member #
    The problem the gas station at the half way mark is that it is best to leave at the crack of dawn to do this run in the mountains. The gas station is not a regular open 24 hours gas station, it's an RV service station at a small Resort and it has limited hours. So when you leave, the place isn't open and once you hit the mountains cell phone service is very limited. So it's nice if it is open when you get there, but it's always best to not rely on it being open.

It can also be bad for having run out of gas, if they had a huge run of RV's stopping for gas, lol. We have seen that happen a few times in the past, hopefully they have upgraded the service station since the last time I went through there.

The weird thing is Google Maps doesn't even show there is a service station there?????

Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range.-half-way-point.jpg

As for a big touring bike with a big gas tank, what's the fun in that? lol

Seriously though, right now I have no interest in something like that, a tail bag and a few fuel bottles and you are good to go. There are so many great spots to stop and take in the scenery where you can top up your tank.

Fuel efficiency thread - Please post mods to increase fuel efficiency and tank range.-scenery1.jpg
    Last edited by Rocky_MTN_FZ09; 04-15-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    1duckyboy, motorock, Foz and 1 others like this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_MTN_FZ09 View Post

Name:  fuel-bottles.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  7.7 KB
    +1 I've got two 1.5L of those. Doesn't equal the 3.25 gal aux. tank on my Bandit 1200 but they'll give me 30 miles. It's all about the ability to go where you want when you want and with the FZ the fun comes along. Some people who haven't done it don't get it.
    motorock and Rocky_MTN_FZ09 like this.
    When I was fast, motorcycles were slow.
    Now motorcycles are fast and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle, unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
    Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links