Good exhaust less loud than M4?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Good exhaust less loud than M4? within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I just got a 2014 FZ-09 and it came with an M4 exhaust. The thing is a bit too loud. My neighbors might not like ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By vcyclenut
  • 3 Post By willbs

Thread: Good exhaust less loud than M4?

mpn
    Member #

I just got a 2014 FZ-09 and it came with an M4 exhaust. The thing is a bit too loud. My neighbors might not like it. Can anyone recommend a less loud but still good-sounding exhaust?

How is the Akrapovic? I've watched a few YouTube vids and I like the Ak sound, but it's not clear to me just from a video how much quieter it is.

BTW, I have tried the baffle (stock w/ the M4 I believe), and that then made it too weak... a different baffle is maybe an option is any one has had success with that.
    Last edited by mpn; 07-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mpn View Post

BTW, I have tried the baffle (stock w/ the M4 I believe), and that then made it too weak... a different baffle is maybe an option is any one has had success with that.
    I'm not sure what you mean by it made it to weak? It was too quiet? Or did you notice a reduction in power? I have the M4 slip on and I bought the optional Q4 stage 2 baffle which is longer, it does make it a little quieter, and in my opinion the combination of
    Wearing earplugs and the quieter baffle I think it sounds perfect and I haven't noticed any reduction in power it's still wheelies like mad.

Member #
    you didn't say if your M4 is a slip on or full system

The akrapovic with db killer inserted has a great sound and makes great power

the db killer on the Akro exhaust only costs 1 hp

I have great deals on the akrapovic combined with my flash

https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p69/..._Packages.html
    Lake Abilene likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

mpn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregpow View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by it made it to weak? It was too quiet? Or did you notice a reduction in power? I have the M4 slip on and I bought the optional Q4 stage 2 baffle which is longer, it does make it a little quieter, and in my opinion the combination of
    Wearing earplugs and the quieter baffle I think it sounds perfect and I haven't noticed any reduction in power it's still wheelies like mad.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Yes, I meant too quiet. The power seems fine.

Per vcyclenut's question, I believe it is the slip-on, since the pipe behind it is metallic rather than black. https://m4exhaust.com/yamaha/yamaha-...fz-09-2014-17/ But how do I tell for sure? I can post a pic later.
    Would the stock baffle be more or less quiet than all of the different Qx/stage baffles?

Member #
    if it's too quiet with baffle in then just drill a hole in the baffle until you get the sound you want, start with 1/8, then 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 etc or 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm
    vcyclenut, Lake Abilene and 93MT09 like this.
    Currently:
    2016 Yamaha FZ-09
    2001 Ducati 996

Previously:
    1982 Kawasaki KZ-750
    1988 Harley Davidson FXRS-SP
    1997 Ducati CR-900
    2001 Ducati ST4
    2006 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Member #
    I just got a 2014 FZ-09 and it came with an M4 exhaust. The thing is a bit too loud. My neighbors might not like it. Can anyone recommend a less loud but still good-sounding exhaust?

How is the Akrapovic? I've watched a few YouTube vids and I like the Ak sound, but it's not clear to me just from a video how much quieter it is.

I got the M4 RM1 full exhaust with the Q7 stage 1 baffle and it`s perfect. Without the baffle I need ear plugs or I get mind numbing headaches lol.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by willbs View Post
    if it's too quiet with baffle in then just drill a hole in the baffle until you get the sound you want, start with 1/8, then 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 etc or 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm
    How well does this work? I got the M4 RM1 with Q7 baffle and find it`s a TAD too quiet but without is WAY too loud. Will it still have a nice tone to it or will making a small hole add a whistle or something?

Member #

you've tried the baffle in the M4 and it was too weak...what do you mean? sound, power? I have a 2015 that had an M4 slip on with it's standard baffle in, wasn't too weak sounding or loss of power. if you want something quiet, then go back to stock and get a flash to perform with the set up. youtube and or cell phone videos are not going to help with getting good sound to compare any system, best to meet up with other folks with different set ups for true sound. I have an Arrow without the baffle, sounds great to me and I don't care about other folks due to the Harley infestation around me.

Sponsored Links