new product: speedometer correction rings for ABS models
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on new product: speedometer correction rings for ABS models within the Flashed by vcyclenut forums, part of the Vendors category; Sourced from kevin shipping from USA for faster delivery and cheaper shipping https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p118...%2FMT_07_.html...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By vcyclenut
  • 1 Post By 2nerkid
  • 1 Post By 2nerkid

Thread: new product: speedometer correction rings for ABS models

Member #

Sourced from kevin shipping from USA for faster delivery and cheaper shipping

https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p118...%2FMT_07_.html
    ridetofish likes this.

Member #
    What are these used for exactly? Or rather, what causes the speedo to need correction?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    What are these used for exactly? Or rather, what causes the speedo to need correction?
    Yamahas - and the rest of the Big Four, as well as many other moto brands - are programmed to read your speed optimistically. If you're on a stock bike showing 80mph, chances are you're really doing about 75. Which is great if you're a ticket magnet, but bad if you care about accuracy.

(Note: most cars do this as well but usually to a far lesser degree. Generally about 4-5% optimistic)

What I'm curious about is this: from what I've read, while the stock speedo is calibrated to read 6-8% optimistic, the odo is calibrated a little more accurately at somewhere around 1-2%. Will these correction rings affect how mileage is read? Full disclosure, I know next to nothing about motorcycle odometre readings and how they're measured - I assume it's extrapolated from the same data that the speedometre uses.

But assuming I'm right on both accounts, if the stock odo is 1-2% optimistic and reads from the speedo rings to get its data, won't using these correction rings 'correct' them to read 3-4% pessimistically (less mileage than actual)?
    blackfireball5 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nerkid View Post
    Yamahas - and the rest of the Big Four, as well as many other moto brands - are programmed to read your speed optimistically. If you're on a stock bike showing 80mph, chances are you're really doing about 75. Which is great if you're a ticket magnet, but bad if you care about accuracy.

(Note: most cars do this as well but usually to a far lesser degree. Generally about 4-5% optimistic)

What I'm curious about is this: from what I've read, while the stock speedo is calibrated to read 6-8% optimistic, the odo is calibrated a little more accurately at somewhere around 1-2%. Will these correction rings affect how mileage is read? Full disclosure, I know next to nothing about motorcycle odometre readings and how they're measured - I assume it's extrapolated from the same data that the speedometre uses.

But assuming I'm right on both accounts, if the stock odo is 1-2% optimistic and reads from the speedo rings to get its data, won't using these correction rings 'correct' them to read 3-4% pessimistically (less mileage than actual)?
    Correct, I did put up a post here a while back. https://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...x-mods-21.html
    Last edited by kevxtx; 02-14-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    2018 MT09SP: Full Woolich Race tools & tune, up/down QS, launch control, pit lane limiter, Shorty clutch lever, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere, Akra Carbon, R1 front 320mm wave brake rotors, full set Hell brake lines, MT07 Wave rear rotor, R1 tail tidy with 2016 rear axle, R1 indicators, modified ABS rings.

Member #
    Thanks for doing the legwork!
    vcyclenut likes this.

Sponsored Links