Problem with start/stop slider on right hand switchgear !
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Problem with start/stop slider on right hand switchgear ! within the MT-09 Street Tracker ABS forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; Only done about 1895 miles and she has been away for most of the winter etc but used her the other day and the engine ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NCost
  • 1 Post By Wirral Biker

Thread: Problem with start/stop slider on right hand switchgear !

Member #

Only done about 1895 miles and she has been away for most of the winter etc but used her the other day and the engine management light illuminated.
    Turned out it was the start/stop red slider on the right hand side of the switchgear was not fully returning to correct centre position.
    I have WD40'd it but local dealer tell's me it is a known problem.
    Have sent a nice letter to Mr Yamaha asking for a replacement 'good gesture' etc etc. Bike is about 6 months out of warranty.

Never had any luck with bike manufacturers so watch this space !

Member #
    So, all paperwork ( up to now !! ) done and dusted....but seem's quite a few of these switches have failed and there seem's to be a backlog wait of approximately 8 week's !! ( All coming from Japan as
    none in GB )
    Nothing approved in writing just yet, but still fingers crossed. Bike can still be used and great support from dealer so far.

Member #
    You might try CRC QD electronic switch cleaner. Use the spray aggressively. Then move the switch back and forth several times. After that I use a compressed air can and liberally spray the switch as you move it through it's range. I also use both spray cans in my ignition switch to keep it clean and also to remove debris from my brake pads as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    So do you basically just have to slide the switch back manually after starting it? Another member had a recent problem that caused his starter relay to go out. I think he found out that the spring was just too weak in there.

All of these stories want me to replace the switch all together with the old rocker style kill switch and push button start!
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    I took mine apart and cleaned the switch w/ electrical contact cleaner. There was an abundant amount of grease in the housing...Yamaha over did it on greasing the contacts and it creates resistance for the switch to move back, so much so the little (weak) spring they use couldn't overcome the resistance. Now that I've done that it is returning back on its own.
    Prior to cleaning it, it stayed in the start position while I let the bike run for 15-20 minutes and burned out my starter relay. This is what led me to taking it apart.
    fz9-tx-guy likes this.
    https://designcostello.com/

2017 Yamaha FZ 09
    2016 BMW FG800GS
    2012 Yamaha FJR
    2009 Yamaha FZ1
    2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600
    1986 Yamaha FJ1200
    1982 Yamaha YZ 125
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750
    1974 Yamaha MX 125
    1973 Yamaha GTMX 80

Member #
    Mine works fine, just doesn't fully return to the centre. When I pulled in the clutch lever the engine management light came on !!
    I can simply manually push the switch back to it's correct position but would like it replaced etc as only 1950 miles on the speedo now!
    Out around North Wales on her tomorrow so we'll see how things materialise. Thanks for the feedback ( I'll open the switch if Yamaha refuse the good will gesture
    but obviously don't want to mess about with it until I have their answer )
    ridetofish likes this.

Member #
    Well, I'll doff my cap to the staff at yamaha's customer services department, they have been fantastic.
    They sent a special order to my Chester dealer with a new switch and I have the bike booked in this
    Thursday for the new switch to be fitted.
    Now that IS exemplary service.

Member #
    Doesn't hurt to ask...
    '92 Bandit 400
    '18 MT-09

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirral Biker View Post
    Only done about 1895 miles and she has been away for most of the winter etc but used her the other day and the engine management light illuminated.
    Turned out it was the start/stop red slider on the right hand side of the switchgear was not fully returning to correct centre position.
    I have WD40'd it but local dealer tell's me it is a known problem.
    Have sent a nice letter to Mr Yamaha asking for a replacement 'good gesture' etc etc. Bike is about 6 months out of warranty.

Never had any luck with bike manufacturers so watch this space !
    Hi, 2017 XSR900 here ...5000 miles and happened last week. I have disassembled the switch wiped off all the grease from the sliding part and put a new lithium grease spray....works perfect now.

Sponsored Links