FZ-07 Fuel tank capacity proof
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on FZ-07 Fuel tank capacity proof within the FZ-07 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-07 category; I was browsing a Euro MT-07 forum...and an owner actually removed the gas tank and drained it dry. He then bought a measuring device to ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: FZ-07 Fuel tank capacity proof

Member #

I was browsing a Euro MT-07 forum...and an owner actually removed the gas tank and drained it dry. He then bought a measuring device to measure liters...and filled the tank to the top. It took exactly 13 liters...or 3.43 gallons of gas. Yamaha advertises 3.7 gallon gas tank capacity. Just goes to show you how much these manufactures LIE about everything. Don't ever believe the advertised weight....horsepower... torque....or tank capacity on any new motorcycle. It's always bullshit.

Just thought I would share.
    ridetofish likes this.
    2015 FZ07 Mods > Traxxion Dynamics AK20's with 8.5k springs.....Traxxion Dynamics revalved and resprung stock shock...Evotech Rad guard..Evotech rear axle sliders...Evotech front axle sliders ...Rizoma frame sliders....Arrow Thunder exhaust .... EJK fuel controller.........Bridgestone BT 016 Pro tires...Givi windscreen...Driven hand grips....Emgo turn signals.....Radial master cylinder....Speigler braided steel brake lines....EBC V pads rear....EBC HH Pads front....Nelson Rigg tailbag.

Member #
    Most of the press releases are marketing data and not actual specifications of the bike.

I recall a motorcycle magazine that dug through the marketing data for a selected motorcycle and found the torque and HP data was "slightly off" by how the mfr calculated it to compensate for temperature, humidity, elevation and so forth and then further investigation revealed that the HP data was taken from the rear wheel on the dedicated test machine (read optimized or hopped up for testing purposes) and the resulting HP data was "adjusted" for "projected driveline losses" where an estimated amount of power was added back on so the mfr could claim HP/torque* where the "*" referred to "corrected HP at the crankshaft" in small print at the bottom of the marketing print ad.

As I recall the actual rear wheel HP that was actually detected by several different magazines was off by more than 25% of the mfr's claimed HP...
    CD599 likes this.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Member #
    Convenient that it was off by a full, even liter.

For all we know, some engineer just gave the internal volume of the tank right from the CAD system without accounting for the fuel pump volume...or the expansion volume that remains inaccessible without modifying the filler neck.

Either way, good information.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Who cares.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DNFDOUG View Post
    Who cares.
    No .. 'who' is on first. I can't figure out 'what's' on second.
    DNFDOUG and JohnnyC4 like this.
    2015 FZ07 Mods > Traxxion Dynamics AK20's with 8.5k springs.....Traxxion Dynamics revalved and resprung stock shock...Evotech Rad guard..Evotech rear axle sliders...Evotech front axle sliders ...Rizoma frame sliders....Arrow Thunder exhaust .... EJK fuel controller.........Bridgestone BT 016 Pro tires...Givi windscreen...Driven hand grips....Emgo turn signals.....Radial master cylinder....Speigler braided steel brake lines....EBC V pads rear....EBC HH Pads front....Nelson Rigg tailbag.

Member #
    I make comments like that to see who can appreciate sarcasm and who is dead serious. You passed this time, but I am still keeping you on a short leash.
    Rocky_MTN_FZ09 and valvestem like this.

Member #
    I wouldn't trust one guys test results without more information, and knowing how accurate his measuring device was? Did the guy use an proper volumetric measuring instruments or a cheap measuring cup he picked up at Ikea???

Plus fuel volume is effected by ambient temperature. If he measured the volume on a hot day that will effect his "test" results.

Metric table:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc....g/lm00129.html

And does he live in a Country that has emission standads that require something like the California Evap Canister? and did he really get every drop out of the tank before he filled it? or was some fuel still left in reserve?
    Last edited by Rocky_MTN_FZ09; 09-14-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    Desert Rat likes this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_MTN_FZ09 View Post
    I wouldn't trust one guys test results without more information, and knowing how accurate his measuring device was? Did the guy use an proper volumetric measuring instruments or a cheap measuring cup he picked up at Ikea???

Plus fuel volume is effected by ambient temperature. If he measured the volume on a hot day that will effect his "test" results.

Metric table:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc....g/lm00129.html

And does he live in a Country that has emission standads that require something like the California Evap Canister? and did he really get every drop out of the tank before he filled it? or was some fuel still left in reserve?

This guys test just confirmed what all of us FZ07 owners already knew. You can't get 3.7 gallons of gas in the tank no matter what country you live in. And yes...I said his tank was off the bike...upside down...and drained BONE dry.

You can't be serious about ambient temperature. There is no way possible that temperature would make a 3/10ths of a gallon difference. Thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by CD599; 09-14-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Member #
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........I've put 3.4XX gal at fill up a couple times.

Maybe I only had what's in the lines left?!

I know my Honda 919 was right "on the money" as advertised.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........I've put 3.4XX gal at fill up a couple times.
    This is about the capacity of the FZ07.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links