Can Am Ryker - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Can Am Ryker

This is a discussion on Can Am Ryker within the Other Bikes forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; that might be an option for my wife. She wants a scooter with a Sidecar and at least this thing would be safer than what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Can Am Ryker

Member #
    that might be an option for my wife. She wants a scooter with a Sidecar and at least this thing would be safer than what she wants.

Member #
    Re troops comment on the Niken. My brother road tested one and was mightily impressed, especially at its rough road stability. But the weight and seat width eliminated it..
    The bugger did buy an 09SP though.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    [QUOTE=WebbyRides;861096]My only concern is not really reliability, but factory and design issues.

Consumer Reports did a survey online. 11,000 subscribers reported on more than 12,300 motorcycles from model years 2008 to 2014

The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:
    1) Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
    2) Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
    3) Kawasaki (15 percent)
    4) Victory (17 percent)
    5) Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
    6) Triumph (29 percent)
    7) Ducati (33 percent)
    8) BMW (40 percent)
    9) Can-Am (42 percent)

I saw this before and it's all pretty much what I would have expected except for BMW. With reliability issues that are actually the worst for a "true motorcycle", why do they get all the love that they do?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Maybe BMW owners are super picky, and a smudge on the paint or a mirror out of adjustment is considered a "failure"?
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Owning a motorcycle and turning a wrench/maintaining it kind of go hand in hand for me. Not only do I love the thrill of riding but I love working on my bike too. When I look at that list I start to wonder how much this relationship of owning and maintaining a bike grows apart as you get towards the bottom. I could see this being a major contributing factor to more reliability issues.

Member #
    These Can-Am things look wickedly amazing. Love to have a go on one.

However, I would never own one:

- I'd feel a bit of a knob

- You'd still get wet in rain

- Not the same cornering experience

- Am in the UK - I'd miss being able to slyly sift through traffic due to a motorcycle's narrowness
    LouG, BSHARP and Moto26 like this.
    2019 Yamaha MT-09 SP
    Matching solo seat cowl
    Billet levers
    Carbon frame infil
    Fender extenda

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterBurnet View Post
    I saw this before and it's all pretty much what I would have expected except for BMW. With reliability issues that are actually the worst for a "true motorcycle", why do they get all the love that they do?
    I got to try the S1000XR in October. I have never ridden a more buzzy bike. From 5,000 RPM (a normal operating rpm around town and the highway) all the way to redline the whole thing vibrated intensely. My old 2007 CBR600rr was smoother by a looooong shot. If it were mine I would have taken it back and exchanged it immediately. When I got back I asked the salesman if he's sure that this year of XR I was on had the "fix" in place to stop the buzzing from the older models, and he assued me this one was fixed. I can't imagine how bad the old ones were then.

If I spent my hard earned $19,000 on a BMW and it buzzed that bad I'd be filling out every online form telling people to stay away.
    LouG likes this.
    Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/webbyrides

Current Bike:
    2017 Yamaha FZ-09

Past Bikes:
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2015 Honda CBR500r

Member #
    Happy with my BMW. I post on the GS section of ADV riders and the most common required service posts are bikes pushing 100k miles that have generally seen a lot of hard off-road miles. The number one problem I‘ve heard about were the big touring models blowing drive shafts. Of course, all bike makes have their share of issues.

The entire report may be legitimate, but I’ve always thought Consumer Reports generally full of shit. They seem to give the highest marks to the most popular all american purchases. Their reviews are pretty superficial as well. Actually, they remind me a lot of paid motorcycle reviewers. My best source on cars and bikes has been going to the related forum and searching their service posts. I’ve never bought anything based on a high consumer report rating.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 04-04-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    I usually feel any report that is "consumer reported" is going to be flawed, but I think that Consumer Reports did more research.

ORIGINAL STUDY: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm

BREAKDOWN OF STUDY: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm

That breakdown gives me a bit better feelings about the study and its usefulness. It's good knowing that it just wasn't 1 question of "did it fail". They dove into comfort, what system is going to go wrong, and the average cost of the repairs. So it looks like they did get into true "failures", and not just a scuff on a BMW gas tank.

I also find it odd that all Japanese bikes won first place. I could see maybe Honda being first place if someone in a Honda forum posted a thread and said "hey guys, let's all fill this out giving Honda 5 stars so we win!", but that doesn't explain how ALL Japanese bikes won first place. I feel it's a little more than coicidence.

The part that I believe to be true is "Owner Satisfaction". Harley had a reported 26% failures but some of the highest owner satisfaction. To me "owner satisfaction" is a completely useless measurement. For instance, buying a Harley gets you into the elite American cruiser club. Also, if I'm spending $40,000+ on purely a toy and I've had a failure I'd look foolish if I said "I'm not happy". No one likes to admit they made a mistake worth that much money, so you tell yourself that you're happy to justify the high purchase price and brand loyalty.

In that sense that metric is pointless. You get to be a part of a club, so of course you're happy....... even if the $45,000 bike is in the shop 1 week after you bought it and the repairs took 7 weeks, so you lost 7 weeks of riding to have it fixed (true story of my riding buddy). He said he's still happy with his purchase. He lost 1/2 of his riding season, still had to pay insurance for 2 months, but he loves it. Goes to show that you still want to "keep up apearances" and not bad mouth your bike brand.

No Harley guy is going to talk to another Harley guy and say "Ya, I shouldn't have bought a Harley, I'm not happy". That simply doesn't happen in American culture as no other cruiser guy will ever relate to that statement.

Also, on that breakdown page they give a special shout out to Can-Am.
    Last edited by WebbyRides; 04-04-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/webbyrides

Current Bike:
    2017 Yamaha FZ-09

Past Bikes:
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2015 Honda CBR500r

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links