Gas tank scratched by gas nozzle on the inside
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Gas tank scratched by gas nozzle on the inside within the MT-09 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; Hey guys i recently purchased a mt09 SP and went to get gas but the gas station attendee scratched my gas tank with the nozzle ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By gm1992
  • 2 Post By OldSchlPunk
  • 6 Post By billnoroville
  • 2 Post By ChesterBurnet

Thread: Gas tank scratched by gas nozzle on the inside

Member #

Hey guys i recently purchased a mt09 SP and went to get gas but the gas station attendee scratched my gas tank with the nozzle on the inside while pouring the gas i am not sure if it will rust or how to repair it any advice ?
    Tried to atach a photo but something is wrong with the site so i put google drive link with the photo of the gas tank
    IMG_E2020.JPGhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1lbf...ew?usp=sharing
    dcpppf likes this.

Member #
    The inside of the tank is raw metal. Like any other bike with a steel tank, it will be fine as long as you keep the tank full while in storage during the off-season.
    fz9-tx-guy and shamrock like this.
    '92 Bandit 400
    '18 MT-09

Member #
    And I thought I worried about scratches on my bike....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchlPunk View Post
    The inside of the tank is raw metal. Like any other bike with a steel tank, it will be fine as long as you keep the tank full while in storage during the off-season.
    Thanks on the info will not loose any sleep over it i keep my bikes full with gas during winter should not have problems . I was abit worried because every bike i have had before this one was used and has some scratches and rust in that same area but also was not kept with a full tank during winter by the previous owner .

Member #
    my 2 cents on rust in tanks.

Even if almost full, condensation can get into any tank that goes through warm and cold cycles. Water will separate and sit at bottom of tank and rust it. Best run it enough to add fresh gas about every month. Or use additives in winter if sitting a lot.

Member #
    Sell It
    billnoroville and hANNAbONE like this.

Member #
    I noticed the same thing on my bike when I got it in 2014 (second owner). Over the last 5 years it hasn't started to rust, but it has always been a concern of mine. Was hoping there was some better insight here as far as a permanent fix.

I ride basically year round if there is no snow/ice on the ground. so I go through tanks pretty frequently, but other than that I've done nothing special to avoid rusting. Hopefully that eases the mind a bit for you as well.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    Quick ,close the cap nobody will be able to see it .

Member #
    Like Chester said: "Sell it!" Preferabley to me for next to nothing. It's worthless now!
    And Cw09 - yes!
    Once I siphoned some gas out of thy FZ and when I pulled the hose out of the tank I noticed that the sharp burr on the bottom of the tank restrictor was carving a nice ribbon of plastic from the hose and deposting it into the tank. Not wanting to gum up the fuel injector, I pulled the tank and the fuel injector and while I was at it I used a Dremel to cut the restrictor out. (A bit of a chore, but got it done pretty nicely)
    Have never regretted it. So much easier to gas the bike up. Like the 'olden days'
    A no brainer if you ever take the fuel injector out of the tank, if you ask me.
    Go ahead, just ask me!

Sponsored Links