First bike ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

First bike ?

This is a discussion on First bike ? within the MT-09 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 years then a Yamaha ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First bike ?

Member #

First bike ?

I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 years then a Yamaha DT125R for 4 years but got rid as I got fed up with taking my CBT every 2 years ( been driving a car for 37 years). I'm half decided on either the MT07 or MT09, I'm swaying in favour of the 09 as I don't want to outgrow it quickly as I feel I may do with an 07 and at some point my wife will be coming out on the back and thought the 07 would be a bit small. I class myself as a sensible driver/rider but my main concern is will it be too big and powerful for a first 'proper' bike? Any advise and views would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Member #
    My advise would be not to get the 09 as a first bike, but it seems that you do have some experience with smaller machines. Maybe test ride one if you can. The problem with this engine and new riders is the INSTANT power delivery. I'm sure it's overwhelmed many people at times over its lifespan.

It's not like this beast can't be tamed, but this bike has been and still is a lesson in throttle smoothness. This all being said, I absolutely love this bike, mainly for its engine.

If you're thinking of 2 up riding, and set on the triple, would the Tracer 900 be a better fit?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    2015 Matte Grey FZ-09 --- Oxford Heated Grips --- Spiegler S/S Brake lines --- OES Frame Sliders --- OES Front Axle Sliders --- GYTR Rad Guard --- GYTR Windscreen --- Racetech Gold Valves --- Racetech Fork Springs --- ZX6R Rear Shock --- Rizoma Action LED Turn Signals --- Tripage Gold LED Headlamp --- E-Bay Pazzo Knockoff Levers --- Termignoni Carbon Exhaust --- Power Commander 5 --- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator --- Ivan's ECU Flash --- Shad Comfort Seat -- GYTR Quick Shifter

Member #
    As said the 09 is a handful if you are not experienced....not saying you aren't but the 07 should be good even with a pillion. Whichever way you go get a better seat....the oem main section is crap I cannot think what a pillion would have to put up with on that tiny bit behind it.
    Last edited by Steve H; 04-13-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    The 09 is a great bike. However, there are other choices for your present criteria. The 07 is a strong candidate, but there are also many manufacturers that could better fill your needs. If you outgrow them and end up with an 09, you’ll just appreciate it all the more. If you start with the 09 and it proves to be too much, that could be a very negative experience. You’ll get plenty of personal opinions on this, but you need to put the time in researching all of the possibilities, looking at their specs, reading reviews, looking at them up close and, most importantly, riding them. You should include your wife in this journey, since the wrong choice could totally turn her off to future rides. Too bad I didn’t follow my own advice more often in the past.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it curious that you've waited all these years to finally start riding a proper road bike, but you fear you will "quickly outgrow" something like an MT-07. What makes you feel this way? Do you have experience on anything bigger than a scooter that tells you you're ready for a 900 triple? It seems the very fact that you're posing this question here is evidence that you probably are not.

I would go along with the advice to go test ride the 07, and you will likely discover it's more than enough for you at this time. Besides, there's nothing that says you can't trade up in a couple of years if you feel the need...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it curious that you've waited all these years to finally start riding a proper road bike, but you fear you will "quickly outgrow" something like an MT-07. What makes you feel this way? Do you have experience on anything bigger than a scooter that tells you you're ready for a 900 triple? It seems the very fact that you're posing this question here is evidence that you probably are not.

I would go along with the advice to go test ride the 07, and you will likely discover it's more than enough for you at this time. Besides, there's nothing that says you can't trade up in a couple of years if you feel the need...
    I appreciate what you are saying, I've wanted a 'proper' bike since I got rid of my 125 but due to personal reasons i was unable to. I've sat on an 07 and although its obviously bigger than my old 125 it still felt a little on the small side for a bike I would want to keep for a few years.
    Thanks for your comments.

Member #
    It may be worth considering a bike that feels physically larger, while still having a more friendly engine (let's say ~650cc twins). I've owned 2 different Kawasaki Versys 650s (2011 and 2015 LT) and I think that bike would satisfy being beginner-friendly, fun to ride even with many years experience, and very good for passengers (my wife liked it much more than the FZ09).

As for engines, a 650cc 2-cylinder will generally go just about as fast as an 850cc 3-cylinder, it's just not going to accelerate as quickly. If you do go for the MT09, ride in B-mode (calmer throttle map) for a while so you don't kill yourself.

Trust your gut though. If the MT07 feels too small/cramped, it likely is (for you).
    2017 Matte Silver (Puig touring screen + CustomLED integrated tail light + LighTech front signals + Kaoko throttle lock + Yamaha comfort seat)

Member #
    Even the -07 is light years from what you experienced on that DT125. Physical size tells you nothing, it's that kick in the pants you'll get when you twist the throttle. Like mentioned earlier, go test ride some bikes, several, the results will be eye opening. The overall bike experience has changed/improved amazingly in the past 20 years.

At this point, you don't know how much you don't know. Keep your mind open and be willing to ask yourself some very serious questions.

I don't want to sway you away from the 09, it's a helluva bike and very flexible. Coming back into riding, you have to be careful choosing a bike that can write checks that your skills may not be able to cash. While you don't have the reflexes you had at 20, I'm guessing you have developed your sense of self-preservation many of us were lacking at that age. (In other words, stupid hurts)

Good luck in your quest, feel free to continue asking questions. There are plenty here that have years of experiences on many other bikes and are always willing to help in any way they can.
    BattleBornBike and Tigershark like this.
    '92 Bandit 400
    '18 MT-09

Member #
    Put into perspective, a 1972 Kawasaki 750 2 stroke triple was 74 HP......exactly the same as the MT 07 and that was considered scary fast at the time,even dangerous. The wheelbase on the MT07 is 1" shorter than the MT09. You're thinking that it'll be a good idea to jump up to a 115 HP bike from a 17 hp bike because you'll outgrow the 74 HP MT07? Do you have any clue what 115 HP feels like versus 17 hp ( I checked the specs on you 125). Good Luck.
    Tigershark likes this.

Member #
    In all honesty, the 750 was dangerous. Light-switch power curve, brakes that didn't and a frame that flexed badly. You could ride around the problems. The one I rode scared the hell out of me.
    '92 Bandit 400
    '18 MT-09

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links