Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

First bike ?

15K views 39 replies 35 participants last post by  sdshawn 
#1 ·
I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 years then a Yamaha DT125R for 4 years but got rid as I got fed up with taking my CBT every 2 years ( been driving a car for 37 years). I'm half decided on either the MT07 or MT09, I'm swaying in favour of the 09 as I don't want to outgrow it quickly as I feel I may do with an 07 and at some point my wife will be coming out on the back and thought the 07 would be a bit small. I class myself as a sensible driver/rider but my main concern is will it be too big and powerful for a first 'proper' bike? Any advise and views would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#28 ·
I think the fz-09 and 07 are a more sport oriented bike best suited for solo riding. The passenger accommodations are minimal at best and I really cant imagine anyone being comfortable on the back for much more than short jaunts. You may want to really think about the type of riding you expect to do and go from there. If passenger comfort and capability are important than I believe there are other better suited rides. Take some demo rides if you can and also have your wife at least sit on the back of different bikes to get a feel for seat comfort and peg to seat distance...both the 09 and 07 are rather cramped and the passenger area of the seat leaves much to be desired.

#31 ·
I used to ride a little yamaha RT180 enduro bike back in the day. Then I took that motorcycle safety foundation motorcycle skills course. There I rode, I think, a Honda Rebel 250 and got my license. I only tell you this to give you some background on my experience. I purchesed my FZ09 a few years ago as my first street legal bike. I will say that the FZ09 is a great motocycle. I enjoy riding it. That being said, looking back, I think that maybe the 09 was a little too much for me when I started. To be totally honest, it's still too much bike for my skill level. It is nothing like the RT or the Rebel I had been on before. The only real way I can describe this bike is twitchy. It's got that throttle by wire stuff and it's very sensitive to the twist of the throttle. I hope to grow into it in the future of course, but I'm old now and not as bold. I probably will never grow into it and that's fine. I know my limitations. The thing to remember about riding is that there is a balance between Rider Skill and Motorcycle Ability. Think about it this way. If you bought a corvette, you could take it on on Sunday drives and never push the vehicle to it's limits. Do that and you'll be fine driving it in most situations. But if you've never driven a corvette before and don't know your own limitations then it can, and probably will, get you into serious trouble.

I really enjoy my 09, its fun, not too flashy, and has way more power than I will ever need.

#33 ·
I sold a guy my Suzuki RF900R and it was his first ever motorcycle. He had never ridden a bike of any kind so you all know exactly what happened in the alley behind his house.
Before the sale I had "the talk" with him but men will be men and we all eat shit because of that.

#34 ·
As a 61 year old 21 year old and a relatively new owner of a SP-09 - I can more than relate to OldSchlPunk on this, I love my 09 but with it's twitchy throttle and bucket load of pace it is, as stated a handful of psycho speed!
A motorcycle rider of some 50 years I have seen many developments/changes in both dirt and road bikes and can not say that I haven't loved every bike I've ever owned or for that matter ridden, but some require a little more care and respect than others, from my point of view, given the fact you are only quite new to the obsession, Unless you are 6'2" + and 110 kg, I would go with the 07, I test rode a new HO last year and it was a blast,(I only purchased my 09 because it was shoved in my face as a demo) More than enough manageable power for any rider with a great sound and range of optional bling, up to you of course but not sure that too many riders would outgrow a nicely fitted MT-07 in a hurry they are light and agile and with a few tweaks, a weapon to be contended with!
Good luck with your venture and ride safe!

#36 ·
Just started riding my new MT09 at the age of 52, having ridden tamer bikes for years. It was intimidating at first, but anyone with an ounce of maturity can grow into it quickly.

It helps to have a newer model, with the improved throttle mapping. Start in "B" mode, keeping it under 6,000 rpm for awhile. Use the two-finger clutch method (or better yet install a quickshifter) to maintain handlebar control during hard acceleration. Learn to keep a relaxed grip on the bars, using your knees to grip the tank. And don't be afraid to stand on the pegs dirt-bike style for low-speed situations.

I've only logged a couple thousand kilometers but am growing to love this bike. It's like an Iron Man flying suit that gets more exciting every time you strap it on. Just buy one.

#37 ·
Just went through this myself at 59 YO this year. Been riding a 250 Ninja and a 1100 cruiser for the last 5 years after a LONG break. I got the MT 09 two months and 1200 miles ago. Relevant questions:
How long a break? This isn't your first bike, but if you are DECADES rusty it may matter (a little).
How often are you planning to ride two up? If it is OFTEN, please consider something better suited for her comfort.
Do you have serious self control issues at 50? If so then reconsider carefully.
Did you feel like you "outgrew" your DT 125? If not and it was still fun, why would you "outgrow" the MT07?
I considered a 650 when I got my cruiser as it was enough to do what I wanted, but I listened to advice and got the 1100. It still does all I want, just better. (and more expensive:initial cost, gas, and insurance).

(IMHO) the MT07 will do all you want and is cheaper than the MT09 (insurance!). But the MT09 will do it better: The MT09 has TCS modes, throttle control modes, and blazing acceleration when you want it. But it is a pussycat when you don't. Just set the TCS and throttle modes wisely and don't be an absolute idiot. The 2019 does not have the twitchy throttle the 2017 and earlier had.
Having said all that get what you want, consider my questions, and don't be afraid of either one of them. I had no problems, but my 25 YO daughter is just learning on my 250 Ninja; neither MT is for her. A different beginner?...maybe. My younger son who has been commuting on the Ninja for years had no problem on his MT09 test ride and was comfortable in trying ALL modes despite my suggestion. He didn't get the front wheel off the ground accidentally. The beast is tame- until you don't want it to be. Then it is an absolute hoot if you want it.

#38 ·
An 09 is fine, but are you? It's light, goes well, brakes well, handles wellish. You have age on your side for common sense. But some of us, not mentioning any names, but he's sitting close to this keyboard, are almost as silly as they were at 16.
If you think you can restrain yourself from nailing it at every opportunity, go for it. But use B mode till you get used to it.

#40 ·
I'm your age just turned five O
Been riding all my life on 2 wheels .

I scaned through all the previous post and agree with most. I would not buy the 09 with what you said you had as past bikes .

I have not ridding a 07 but at 75 hp is plenty of ponies to get your feet wet in a bigger bike .

The 09 I would say would something you move up to after if and when you get bored with the 07.

Call it a stepping in stone , chances are your wife will not ride with you that much anyways.

Power to weight between bothe bike is probably not huge , to be honest I think the 07 sounds a lot better with the twin , especially if you pipe it they sound amazing.

So IMO pick up a great deal on a used 07 ride it and if it's not making you smile sell and pick up an 09.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.