First bike ? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

First bike ?

This is a discussion on First bike ? within the MT-09 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; Originally Posted by Banzeta I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First bike ?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzeta View Post
    I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 years then a Yamaha DT125R for 4 years but got rid as I got fed up with taking my CBT every 2 years ( been driving a car for 37 years). I'm half decided on either the MT07 or MT09, I'm swaying in favour of the 09 as I don't want to outgrow it quickly as I feel I may do with an 07 and at some point my wife will be coming out on the back and thought the 07 would be a bit small. I class myself as a sensible driver/rider but my main concern is will it be too big and powerful for a first 'proper' bike? Any advise and views would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I was in this position a year or so ago. I went with the MT09. I’ve been very happy with it, and have not done any engine based mods as a result. My only advice, if you cannot test ride before purchase, would be making sure you drive off the lot in ‘B’ mode. The acceleration ramp is smooth, as well as is gear changes. Enjoy!

Member #
    Go easy on the FZ09/MT09 until you get used to it is my advice it can be a handful...

SSL
    Member #
    I was in the same position and pick MT09 (FZ09). Love it. Like people said, these is B mode to reduce power if you want. I flushed ECU and now A mode is so smooth that I do A all the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I didn't read the previous pages, but I wanted to lay out my experience.

For my first bike I got a Yamaha Virago 750 that wasn't running and was beat up a bit. Only had to do the carbs to get it running right. I paid $500 for it and it was a great entry into the world of motorcycling. Buying something cheap and getting it in tip top shape was both financially and mechanically rewarding as an entry into motorcycles. It had a good amount of power but being more of a cruiser type it was easy to learn on and comfortable. Once this bike had some major mechanical issues, I sold it off and bought my FZ09 a year later.

The FZ09 is worlds different. The power is intoxicating. Still a comfortable seating position. As a less experienced rider than most, the FZ09 can be a bit of a challenge until you get used to it. I have a 2017 and I cherish the ABS and TCS as a newer rider. This being my second year of ownership, I definitely feel comfortable on it now.

If I could go back, I wouldn't change anything about how I got into motorcycling. Loved that first bike, and especially love the FZ09.

Also, take a basic rider skills course. In Ohio, you get to skip the riding test at the BMV if you take a course and pass it. The skills and techniques you learn are invaluable. Understanding counter steering and target fixation could save your life.

Member #
    I think someones first bike should be whatever they want it to be. Everyone has a different level of skill when they start out and different habits when it comes to riding so it's not all cut and dry as to how one particular bike will suit someone from another. You could have someone who has ridden for years and ends up crashing when getting on a new bike, or you could be brand new to riding and possibly never go down getting on a powerful bike. That being said I don't think there's any issues with someone using an 17+ fz/mt 09 as a beginner bike. Being that it has a lower seat height and the ability to up the traction control as well as put it in B mode makes it very user friendly for new riders but it is up to the operator to ensure that is how they use it when learning to ride. I'd much sooner recommend the 09 over any heavy, slow braking Harley on the market...

I also think it's important that any new rider takes a riders course and I'm also a big believer of putting crash protection on your bike. At the end of the day it really comes down to attitude meaning you have to respect what you choose to ride and no matter what motorcycle that is you better be ready for all the cagers on the road.
    BigBri likes this.

Member #
    Just to add 2 cents as someone who started on the FZ-07 and moved up to the FZ-09 only because it was stolen:/

The 07 is a great machine. Never felt that the bike was holding me back in any way. It had plenty of go when needed, easy to lean over and dig deep in the corners, confident brakes and 200mi range on regular. Two up was never an issue for me and my wife, and I am solid 200+ lbs. There is no doubt that the FZ07 will make you a better rider, and I appreciate the 09 a lot more because of my skill development on the 07.

The 09 is not a small step up from the 07. Would I personally start on the 09? No, not a chance for me and I consider myself a quick/responsible learner. Sure it has been done, but what I learned on the 07 I wouldn’t trade for any of the “more” you get from the 09. My recommendation is to find a nice used 07, ride it for two+ seasons, and when you finally find the throttle stop on the 07 move up to the 09 🙂

Great problem to have! I’m sure you’ll love both these great bikes.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzeta View Post
    I'm about to turn 50 years old and I've decided to take my bike test. I had a scooter for 3 years then a Yamaha DT125R for 4 years but got rid as I got fed up with taking my CBT every 2 years ( been driving a car for 37 years). I'm half decided on either the MT07 or MT09, I'm swaying in favour of the 09 as I don't want to outgrow it quickly as I feel I may do with an 07 and at some point my wife will be coming out on the back and thought the 07 would be a bit small. I class myself as a sensible driver/rider but my main concern is will it be too big and powerful for a first 'proper' bike? Any advise and views would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Congrats for making the jump!!

The Fz class in my opinion are really not the type of bike for dual passengers honestly.. either the 07 or 09 will be PLENTY of power. Consider a Gold Wing or the FJ models, powerful with style.

Member #
    I think the fz-09 and 07 are a more sport oriented bike best suited for solo riding. The passenger accommodations are minimal at best and I really cant imagine anyone being comfortable on the back for much more than short jaunts. You may want to really think about the type of riding you expect to do and go from there. If passenger comfort and capability are important than I believe there are other better suited rides. Take some demo rides if you can and also have your wife at least sit on the back of different bikes to get a feel for seat comfort and peg to seat distance...both the 09 and 07 are rather cramped and the passenger area of the seat leaves much to be desired.

Member #
    there is also the option of the " sport touring" version of the FZ09/07 you could consider if a pillion is important on longer distances.

Member #
    The op hasn't been back since the day he posted the thread. Think we're wasting time responding to his question.
    Last edited by superspirit; 04-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Moto26 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links