Wierd gear indicator issue
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Wierd gear indicator issue

This is a discussion on Wierd gear indicator issue within the MT-09 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; Hi first time poster here. I normally fix my own stuff and search as much as possible but this has me stumped. My gear indicator ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wierd gear indicator issue

Member #

Question Wierd gear indicator issue

Hi first time poster here. I normally fix my own stuff and search as much as possible but this has me stumped. My gear indicator works as intended with my kickstand down. When I lift the kickstand the gear indicator goes away and the dash displays N and QS. I have a quickshifter installed which doesn't work since this started. I can ride the bike just fine and all the modes operate as they should but gas mileage is down a bit. When riding the N and QS lights persist. Any suggestions? I don't suspect the gear sensor because the kickstand is cutting out the indicator. I have checked every fuse on the bike and done a power drain test on the battery with nothing wrong.

Member #
    What happens when the bike is in gear and you put the stand down ?

Member #
    everything operates as normal as far as the kickstand safety is concerned. in gear with kickstand down the bike won't start. in neutral with kickstand down and it starts. with the seat off, when I push down the kickstand, I can hear a relay clicking. I've tried unplugging my QS with no change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I had a gear position sensor fail but the only thing that happened is the gear number didn't show in the cluster ,I don't know what you have going on .

Member #
    I'm getting a little help on another page. It's too late tonight to go try it but I'm going to unplug my quickshifter and reinstall the factory blockoff plug back to the harness. Maybe that triggers the harness to behave the way it should.

Member #
    Yeah definitely a wiring bug it sounds like. I'm ignorant when it comes to quick shifters and such. Do you have a link to a wiring diagram or anything for how the QS gets wired in? Might be able to spot some problem areas on what could cause these issues if I can see a schematic.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    I have the same issue I think I answered on your Facebook post, I order second hand Gear position sensor but it didn't help
    I have the wiring diagrams from the Haynes service manual maybe someone here in the group can explain more

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    Last edited by hfl358; 02-08-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Member #
    I'm going to look into the relay I was talking about. I think it's the flasher relay. When you put the kickstand up it clicks. Strikes me as weird that relay would operate even with the bike not running.

Member #
    The relay would be working correctly if the key is “on” without the engine running. If the relay contacts change with the key off, the coil would be incorrectly hot wired somehow energizing it to turn on. The kickstand switch should only energize the relay coil when the ignition is on. If it happens with the ignition off, the kickstand switch is getting power and sending it to the coil from the wrong source. Whether it’s via the quickshifter or not is irrelevent. The voltage source should be switched power. The only places where there should be power with ignition off are the battery, the emergency flashers and the input connection on the keyswitch. Unswitched power could also be wired to the battery for things like your battery charger, but not any internal electrical circuit components.

You also speculated that the switch you’re hearing might be for the emergency flasher. There shouldn’t any kickstand connection with the flashers.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 02-09-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    I keep reading and it says it might be related to the starter circuit cut-off relay
    Images attached
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links