Oil feed to clutch basket and plates problem...
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Oil feed to clutch basket and plates problem... within the MT-09 Forum forums, part of the Yamaha MT-09 category; Good morning all, ok im sure this has been covered plenty can some one possibly explain how the clutch and clutch plates get oil?It does ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil feed to clutch basket and plates problem...

Member #

Good morning all, ok im sure this has been covered plenty can some one possibly explain how the clutch and clutch plates get oil?It does not come from it been submerged in oil basket sits way to high, next there is no oil feed hole at tip of gearbox clutch drive shaft, like on some other model bikes that get oil from gearbox that runs inside shaft and out to basket.... Reason is this is my 2nd clutch basket with a crack, before any one asks its a Mt09 they wheelie off throttle LOL as every one here knows' so yes i do wheelie every now and then....BUT on inspection i have found plates to be dry i mean dry dry one or two spots here and there.
    Which leads me to believe there is a lack of oil to some units that have been sold' ive been covering the internet and have come across alot of feeds,posts, so on regarding this issue of snapped plates and cracked or broken baskets...
    Any info would be awesome.. Thank you

Member #
    sub'd
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    OK if there's,an oil shortage your friction plates are probably glazed and your steels are probably blued , which I doubt,an easier theory to prove would be the basket is junk so it breaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yeah possible on the basket as the MT is a budget bike, and i dont mean that in an ugly way... My plates are ok just no oil, in between the carbon on the plate it has a slight blue color, steel plate you wont believe me not blue at all so im kinda lost,, when i removed everything i noticed hardly any oil inside the basket or on the basket so on.... So how the hell does oil get into the basket and onto plates? I guess its a mystery this 1 of mine.

Member #
    It covers it in the service manual. Shows the oil gallery's but right off hand I don't remember but the passages are there! Next time at a Yamaha shop as the service manager if you could take a peek at it ... that is if you don't own one ...when I installed my slipper clutch I will say it's not dripping wet like I have seen on other bikes !
    Last edited by abe57; 10-09-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Caylib likes this.
    King-Of-Bee's

Member #
    I would suggest this system is for two reasons....the bike will accelerate faster without a fully immeresed clutch and the clutch is mounted fairly high so a full oil bath would need a fair bit of oil....my 2cts worth anyway...and for what it is worth I would suspect the lack of sufficient oil is the main reason for so many failures....dont forget when you wheelie the oil gallery may end up being starved of oil. Maybe a coating of oil before the clutch is re-assembled?
    Caylib likes this.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Member #
    I'm not an engineer so I can't tell you if there's a oil issue ,I can tell you if you upgrade the basket and the plates there's no more oil issue.....
    Caylib likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cw09 View Post
    I'm not an engineer so I can't tell you if there's a oil issue ,I can tell you if you upgrade the basket and the plates there's no more oil issue.....
    If you are talking about replacing the the basket with a new factory one it is the same there has been no upgrade to it the part number is the same from though out all the years !
    Caylib likes this.
    King-Of-Bee's

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by abe57 View Post
    If you are talking about replacing the the basket with a new factory one it is the same there has been no upgrade to it the part number is the same from though out all the years !
    No I'm talking about upgrading to the extreme basket and Barnett's plates

Member #
    The better clutch can probably withstand a harder life
    Caylib likes this.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links