Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Yamaha's Chance to Scramble The Scrambler...!!!

17K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Rocky_MTN_FZ09 
#1 · (Edited)
If this MT 07 comes to North America later this year on the heals of the New Ducati Scrambler (as seen below) it will truly be a Scrambler KILLER.:D

Yamaha is in a position with the MT07/FZ07 to really take the air out of the New Ducati Scrambler ballon.:cool:

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
A Ducati scrambler is no match for an FZO7 to start with. Those Scramblers compare to a cheap Moto Guzzi in performance.

#5 ·
The only thing I wish they did different would be a yellow & black front fender, like they did the white & black fender on the white version. Kind of like the Orange 09 would have looked even better with and orange front fender and rear side panels. But that is just me thinking more orange would have been better.

Reactions: Steve101
#7 ·
In my area too....Demand killing supply.:(

#8 · (Edited)
I know the Yamaha dealer I bought my 09 at has at least three 07's, one in each colour. They sold out of 09 last year, as I got the last new 09 in the City. One dealer had a couple demo bikes, but that dealer sucks.

So for for $7299 MSRP, plus about $250 shipping and $150 assembly, 5% GST tax and $4 a tire for tire recycling tax, they are selling for around $7,682.45. Which isn't to bad, as that is only $6,119.52 USD.

So if you don't mind a 6 hour flight and a 44 hour ride back, you could have one in no time Steve. But I am not sure if Yamaha Canada / USA is allowing someone from across the border to buy one and take it back???? I know some of the dealers say no warranty if you do that with a new bike. I know BRP is being even more strict with the Can-Am Spyders, ATV's, Side x Side's, Ski Doo's and Sea Doo's. Even if you live just south of the border in the USA and come up to Canada to buy one, they won't release the VIN Number so you can register it in the USA. You have to write a letter to BRP and ask them to release the VIN Number. Then you have to wait and see if they will release it.

About the only way they would release it is if you had a relative that lived in Canada and just bought something BRP. Then that Canadian relative died and left the BRP toy to you in their Last Will and Testament. Other than that, you are pretty much screwed, but I doubt the dealership would sell it to you in the first place. They are being so strict just to protect their dealer network, so people don't look for better deals across the border.

So no idea how Yamaha is dealing with across the border shopping on new unit sales? My guess is they say "Sure go ahead, but no warranty."

Reactions: Steve101
#9 ·
^^^ the next "round" of deliveries should hit in April or before and demand may lighten up as the 90+ degree days will be the norm and sales slow from the peak of the "Winter Season" when it's in the low 70's. That'll be a good thing as dealers know it gets deadly quiet (and Hott) during the summer and the 2016's will be arriving in the fall. I don't anticipate any problem finding new '07's for sale.

#12 ·
I thought you were pretty much decided on sticking with your 09. Here you are pining for an 07. Make up your mind man!
Also, I think there were two FZ07s at my dealer a month ago- maybe they still have it. Not too long of a ride from Florida! ;)

#13 ·
It's not that I prefer the '07, it's more I'm ready for a change after a year as I've known all along the '09 was more bike than I bargained for....

It's been three months since my injury and I've been trying to come back to a new bike that's maybe a bit easier for a less accomplished rider.:cool:

Is it my imagination or is the pic in my initial post on page 1 similar in appearance and upright riding style to the bike below...???

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

From where I sit, the bike and rider should be a good match in terms of ability and skills.

#11 · (Edited)
I looked into bringing a Suzuki SV650S from Canada into the US when they first came out. New bikes from another country have to be DOT and EPA certified for the USA before they can cross the border or be registered in the US. The factory has to certify through expensive testing that each model meets US standards and then they put stickers/stampings on the bike saying they comply before they can be sold here. Lights, noise and gas emissions, the ability to tune alter the fuel mixture via the instrument panel like the MT-09 plus who knows what may be different and good luck getting a letter from Yamaha saying the bike is US compliant.

As far as a Yamaha scrambler to compete with Ducati's, scramblers from Ducati, Truimph. Moto Guzzi et al are riding the nostalgia craze of the moment. I don't think a Yamaha scrambler will be able to tap into that craze as they didn't have a big four-stroke multi scrambler years ago so there nothing to anchor it to the old days and the skinny jeans and kale crowd probably won't seek it out. IMO Now if you throw in function, a Yamaha scrambler may come out on top.

#16 ·
Steve, just get the Ducati and call it done.
I'd get this model from this dealer: Scrambler Full Throttle - Florida Ducati Motorcycles Orlando | Melillimoto Sales Service

One of the best Duc dealers on the east coast.

To complete the regalia...
Get this jacket: Dainese Mike Leather Jacket - RevZilla

Then these boots: Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

Then this helmet: Davida Racing Helmet UK Made Esso Gunnarsson Ducati Guzzi Laverda Morini Moto | eBay

Find the gloves of your choice, get some skinny jeans and then tell everybody to kiss your sweet @$$.

#18 ·
Sorry, I only wear jackets with low collars.:p

Reactions: Lee Drew
#17 ·
I do believe ridetofish is trying to tell you something. And you're totally correct Steve. The MT-07 has it all over the Duc Scrambler. The ones who buy the Duc will buy fishes accessories����������

Hope your arm comes around to the level it was. Just give it time.

#21 ·
I'd pass on the helmet.

#25 ·
The knee-jerk comparison you see is the FZ 07 or the '09...???

#30 ·
love the ergonomics simulator posted in this thread, neat tool

#36 ·
We've moved from the ducati Scrambler & FZ07 to shoes and handbags.:mad:

Damn -- Focus:p

Is there anyone out there who's got the stones to say they'd consider buying the Scrambler before the FZ07...???

I'm in the process of trading my '09 for an '07 but see similarities between all three bikes; two wheels, offered in yellow, etc.

#37 ·
We are trying to tell you that the IS no comparison between a Scrambler and an FZ07. The Duck is slower than steaming diarrhea ...is overpriced...costly to maintain....and doesn't handle. You might not care about the handling part....but the two bikes are not comparable to each other. If you want a yellow FZ07 just take off the two plastic tank covers and have them painted yellow. The panels are cheap brand new. For Ducati parts...you'll need to get a bank loan to buy the special tools just to remove the wheels.

Reactions: alnbama
#41 ·
+ 100000000

#42 ·
On a Triumph forum that I read (I also ride a Speedmaster) there was a lot of action/discussion about the Triumph Scrambler vs Ducati Scrambler. How about an FZ-09 with a bit more clearance and a bash plate/some way to protect the headers/oil pan from moderate and some off road yet street capable tires? You'd have the ultimate scrambler. The '09 already feels like a hyper powered dirtbike anyway.

Orange or yellow color scheme would be awesome......

JW

If this MT 07 comes to North America later this year on the heals of the New Ducati Scrambler (as seen below) it will truly be a Scrambler KILLER.:D

Yamaha is in a position with the MT07/FZ07 to really take the air out of the New Ducati Scrambler ballon.:cool:

View attachment 14530

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.