Stuttering engine at cruising speeds *** SOLVED ***
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Stuttering engine at cruising speeds *** SOLVED *** within the Yamaha FZ-09 Common Problems/Issues forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I love my bike, but this year it developed a problem that ruined my entire season. Symptoms: My 2014 FZ-09 has 30 000km on it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stuttering engine at cruising speeds *** SOLVED ***

Junior Member tim.pigeau@gmail.com's Avatar
    Member #

I love my bike, but this year it developed a problem that ruined my entire season.

Symptoms:
    My 2014 FZ-09 has 30 000km on it and started stuttering while cruising around 30% throttle. It was getting worse as time went on. The stutter was becoming more frequent, under more riding conditions and was becoming violent. The bike was also starting on the 3rd or 4th pull instead of the normal 1st pull. It got so bad that is was happening in low speed situations. Once, it happened in the middle of a busy intersection during a left hand turn... only my angel and willpower kept me up. Disconnecting the battery or unplugging the ECU would improve the situation for a while, but after 50 km it was back.

The process:
    I asked my Yamaha dealer to look into it during my maintenance service and they said it was bad gas (which ticked me off). Later they told me it was plugs, (which I had changed the day before myself). So I started cruising the forums to find a solution. I changed the air filter to a K&N and did the plugs. Then I did a reflash through VcycleNut. It didn't fix the problem. Then I replaced the injectors and tightened the throttle cable. While these all improved the bike, they didn't fix the underlying problem.

The Solution:
    Finally, I decided to check all of my electrical connections. When I checked the connectors for the Accelerator and Throttle Position Sensors, I found condensation inside. I cleaned them out with electrical contact cleaner, let them dry and put it all back together. Low and behold, no stutter, jerking or hiccups. On top of that, 150km on, the bike is running smoother and starts 1st pull. My guess is that the APS and TPS must have been sending bad readings to both the throttle actuator and ecu. The actuator was opening and closing according to bad signals and the O2 sensor was reading rich as a result. The ecu was probably leaning the bike out based on the O2 data. Probably why it got better when I disconnected the battery. As the emissions data is rewritten in the ECU, the bike is returning to its normal fueling. Unfortunately it took the entire riding season to discover.

Recap:
    Clean the electrical connectors for the APS and TPS to fix the problem. I plan on doing it every spring.

P.S. The VcycleNut flash greatly improved the bike. They have excellent customer service and maintain prompt correspondence throughout the process, it is also a cheaper alternative to throttle commanders and O2 deletes. Also, the manual states 1/4" play in the cable, that is WAY too much. Tighten to where its comfortable. (No wonder my right hand was always tired an numb.)
    Woof, LouG, Evol and 7 others like this.

Member #
    Great info....thanks for sharing.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Member #
    Well that is the best news I have read in weeks.

My ECU is off to Vcyclenut for a reflash soon.

Like you I exhausted my dealer resources on getting a solution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I would suggest that you apply dialectric grease after cleaning the connection to help prevent the problem from recurring...
    Last edited by abe57; 10-12-2018 at 04:40 AM.
    Woof, ridetofish and LouG like this.
    King-Of-Bee's

Junior Member tim.pigeau@gmail.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Yeah. I'll do that when winterizing it. I'm pretty sure the condensation got in there during winter storage.
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 (Red): VcycleNut flash, K&N air filter, MRA Double-Bubble windscreen, Kaoko throttle lock

Member #
    Mind pointing out which connections it is on the parts fische so us lazy people don't have to go digging in the service manual?

Member #
    #11 and #13 in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Woof and valvestem like this.
    2015 Matte Grey FZ-09 --- Oxford Heated Grips --- Spiegler S/S Brake lines --- OES Frame Sliders --- OES Front Axle Sliders --- GYTR Rad Guard --- GYTR Windscreen --- Racetech Gold Valves --- Racetech Fork Springs --- ZX6R Rear Shock --- Rizoma Action LED Turn Signals --- Tripage Gold LED Headlamp --- E-Bay Pazzo Knockoff Levers --- Termignoni Carbon Exhaust --- Power Commander 5 --- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator --- Ivan's ECU Flash --- Shad Comfort Seat -- GYTR Quick Shifter

Member #
    Can you highlite them in red so us really lazy gits dont have to try and spot them...
    blkbrd likes this.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by blkbrd View Post
    #11 and #13 in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Cheers!
    valvestem likes this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Several years ago some overzealous rinsing put water into my APS.
    The code showed up right after the wash job.
    I was in denial for a couple of weeks until it totally quit out in the middle of nowhere!
    After I replaced it I cut the old one apart and found this---------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    valvestem likes this.
    "There is a grey blur and a green blur so I try to stay on the grey one"-------Joey Dunlop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links