Pulsing front brakes
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Pulsing front brakes

This is a discussion on Pulsing front brakes within the Yamaha FZ-09 Guides and How-To's forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Hey all, i asked this question earlier as part of my introduction post, but i figured i'd make an actual post in this section to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulsing front brakes

Member #

Pulsing front brakes

Hey all,

i asked this question earlier as part of my introduction post, but i figured i'd make an actual post in this section to have a more on topic conversation.

I purchased my '17 FZ 09 this weekend, and everything was awesome on my ride home (about 200kms). Last night i went out for a short ride and started to feel the front brakes pulsing when coming to a stop as if the rotors were warped. Same feeling as a warped mountain bike rotor if anyone knows how that feels?

Some members said to check the bobbins on the rotor, though im unsure what im looking for. Should there be any movement/play in the rotors/bobbins? they all felt 100% tight with no movement at all when i checked them this morning before heading out for work. (i compared them to my ER6N and they felt the same)

It would seem odd for the rotor to be warped if they felt perfectly fine on the ride long ride home. I don't have a stand to prop up the front wheel to spin and check for true-ness, so unsure of any other ideas there.

My next idea is to take off the caliper and clean/scuff up the pads and rotors and see if that changes anything.

Any other info would be great! thanks!

Member #
    Where are you feeling the pulsing?
    Is it through the entire bike, in which case Iíd ask how you know itís the front not rear.
    Or is in in the lever?
    Assume itís not the feeling of the ABS kicking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    its causing the whole bike to pulse forward and backwards as i come to a stop, as if the brake is grabbing harder and softer. It happens when i use front only so i know it must be the front. I assume soft-medium braking coming to a stop shouldnt be engaging the ABS? never felt this on my ER6N ABS

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Correct if itís a properly functioning ABS.
    The sensor on the wheel is pretty sensitive to bending. Do you feel any level of pulsing in the brake lever? Iím not saying this is the problem, just a potential.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Playjuryst View Post
    Correct if it’s a properly functioning ABS.
    The sensor on the wheel is pretty sensitive to bending. Do you feel any level of pulsing in the brake lever? I’m not saying this is the problem, just a potential.

Thinking now I cant remember..id have to take it out for a test, but I dont think so. mostly just in the bike/fork compressing. but its felt throughout the whole bike so i probably feel it to some degree in the bars/lever.

Member #
    Could be a warped rotor but also could be some glazing on the rotors (my sons 701 suffered the same problem). It is possible the previous owner has used something to clean the bike that has affected the rotor surface. I would definitely give the rotors a clean with brake clean and steelo before spending any money. Also check the front wheel is properly mounted. loosen the front axle bolts including the pinch bolts, then tighten the main axle bolt, then the left side pinch bolt, then very slightly tighten the right side and bounce the front suspension a bit to force the right side fork to take its correct position, then tighten the right side pinch bolt.

You could also pull the pads and give them a gentle rough up as well with 120 grit on a flat surface. You should also re-bed the pads in with some hard braking between 140-30 kmh (that is, don't actually stop).

Note, a problem with checking for warped rotors is that you could find them slightly warped and might be tempted to replace them when the slight warp was not the issue.

Member #
    Also check for seized rotor buttons, it should be obvious if they're rusted. If the rotors are warped, that is more likely to be the problem than anything else.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    If it was ABS kicking in on you I think you'd know it as it would be a pretty harsh pulsing (at least it is in the cars I've been in with malfunctioning ABS sensors).

My guess is rotor/pad surface. How many miles are on the bike/rotors/pads? I'm thinking they just aren't fully bedded yet.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpppf View Post
    If it was ABS kicking in on you I think you'd know it as it would be a pretty harsh pulsing (at least it is in the cars I've been in with malfunctioning ABS sensors).

My guess is rotor/pad surface. How many miles are on the bike/rotors/pads? I'm thinking they just aren't fully bedded yet.
    Yeah, I’m fairly confident it’s not abs. The bike has 8300kms and to my knowledge the PO didn’t replace the pads and rotors. I’ll do a full brake clean/scuff up the rotors and pads and see how that goes.

Are the buttons/bobbins meant to have any movement in them?

Member #
    The buttons or bobbins should not be tight. You can find video on YouTube on how to clean and free up the disc buttons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links