Valve adjust advice - tighter side of spec
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Valve adjust advice - tighter side of spec within the Yamaha FZ-09 Guides and How-To's forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; So I'm doing my 2nd valve check. First was done at 11k and I'm now at about 31k. I did the first early due to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blkbrd
  • 1 Post By LouG

Thread: Valve adjust advice - tighter side of spec

Member #

So I'm doing my 2nd valve check. First was done at 11k and I'm now at about 31k. I did the first early due to all of the posts about them getting tight, but maybe I got it done too early and the exhaust valves weren't done moving.

Regardless I've got three exhaust valves that are a hair tight (0.22mm, 0.24mm, and 0.24mm). I'll re-shim those, but my question is on the intake side. Five out of six are measuring at 0.12 or 0.13... While I'm in there is it worth trying to get those closer to 0.18 or something more in the middle or on the higher side of spec?

For those curious here are all of the measurements. 2014 with roughly 31,000 miles.
    EX: 0.27, 0.26, 0.22, 0.24, 0.24, 0.28
    IN: 0.12, 0.13, 0.13, 0.14, 0.13, 0.12

ex spec 0.26-0.30
    in spec 0.11-0.20
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    Me personally...I wouldn't bother. It's within spec.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    dcpppf likes this.
    2015 Matte Grey FZ-09 --- Oxford Heated Grips --- Spiegler S/S Brake lines --- OES Frame Sliders --- OES Front Axle Sliders --- GYTR Rad Guard --- GYTR Windscreen --- Racetech Gold Valves --- Racetech Fork Springs --- ZX6R Rear Shock --- Rizoma Action LED Turn Signals --- Tripage Gold LED Headlamp --- E-Bay Pazzo Knockoff Levers --- Termignoni Carbon Exhaust --- Power Commander 5 --- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator --- Ivan's ECU Flash --- Shad Comfort Seat -- GYTR Quick Shifter

Member #
    I'm leaning more towards that too; esp after reading more on the topic this morning. I was under the assumption that valves in general only stretched and so clearances would only ever shrink, but sounds as though things aren't that simple.

if anyone has some info/links to a good read on the topic I'd be all ears.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Inlets aren't prone to burning, so being on the tight side of spec gives you slightly longer valve duration.
    dcpppf likes this.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LouG View Post
    Inlets aren't prone to burning, so being on the tight side of spec gives you slightly longer valve duration.
    And longer duration essentially equates to more air getting sucked in, right? Does the ECU account for this and increase fuel too, or is the mix just a bit leaner? Bit off topic, but I don't know a lot about the capabilities of ECUs in general... carbs are nice and simple.

I'll probably leave them alone unless someone has good reason not to. Maybe if one was way out of whack I'd try bringing it closer. I found the paperwork from the shop who did the first adjustment and all but one were 0.14 or 0.13mm 20k miles ago. So they've barely moved at all.

For anyone who may be curious... Here are the numbers from the service back in January 2016 at 11k miles:
    BEFORE
    EX: 0.16, 0.22, 0.17, 0.22, 0.22, 0.23
    IN: 0.14, 0.14, 0.14, 0.16, 0.14, 0.13

AFTER
    EX: 0.30, 0.27, 0.27, 0.28, 0.27, 0.28
    IN: 0.14, 0.14, 0.14, 0.16, 0.14, 0.13 (no adjustments made)

Member #
    Yes, volumetric efficiency improves, but only very slightly if you're talking about hundredths of a mm less clearance. It's within spec, so the ECU etc copes.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Sponsored Links