How to install APE CCT. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

How to install APE CCT.

This is a discussion on How to install APE CCT. within the Yamaha FZ-09 Guides and How-To's forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Originally Posted by tinygiant A new engne cover gasket came with the CCT? Wow, them's some good folk at APE! It comes with the CCT ...

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: How to install APE CCT.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tinygiant View Post
    A new engne cover gasket came with the CCT? Wow, them's some good folk at APE!
    It comes with the CCT gasket only, not the side case. Might be a good thing to get one while you wait to get your CCT. Mine didn't break and I reused it.
    MoFZio likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for taking the time to make this post, excellent job!
    marthy and MoFZio like this.

Member #
    Thanks Marthy

Jay
    marthy and Travis like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks Marthy!

Pretty easy and straight forward, I would add that it would be good to have of stubby allens to make accessing the #5 allen that hold down the cct easier.

Thanks again
    marthy and smotley7601 like this.
    James

Member #
    What are the major differences between the APE and the fizzer cct fix?

Member #
    Yes XJ, I had to cut one off a bit to have better access to the adjuster.

The Fizzer kit does a great job on keeping the hydraulic adjuster to back off, good band aid on a poor design.

The APE CCT is a good old school adjuster that will never fail. Just a long bolt that rest on the cam chain guide and it never move unless you decide otherwise. LOL

Just to do the math here, I change mine on my FZ6R 3 time now in its 46K miles life. Once it start to get noisy, it goes out and get replace by a new one. At $75.00 a pop is quite a lot of money for something I shouldn't have to replace in the first place. Time will tell how good the Fizzer kit will be but for about $90.00 you can fix the problem once and for all. Some here have to park their bike for weeks if not months because they are waiting on Yamaha to bring an upgrade... I rather spend the $$$ and ride.

YAMAHAZONE...
    Ronnie Ronsta likes this.

JSP
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marthy View Post
    Yes XJ, I had to cut one off a bit to have better access to the adjuster.

The Fizzer kit does a great job on keeping the hydraulic adjuster to back off, good band aid on a poor design.

The APE CCT is a good old school adjuster that will never fail. Just a long bolt that rest on the cam chain guide and it never move unless you decide otherwise. LOL

Just to do the math here, I change mine on my FZ6R 3 time now in its 46K miles life. Once it start to get noisy, it goes out and get replace by a new one. At $75.00 a pop is quite a lot of money for something I shouldn't have to replace in the first place. Time will tell how good the Fizzer kit will be but for about $90.00 you can fix the problem once and for all. Some here have to park their bike for weeks if not months because they are waiting on Yamaha to bring an upgrade... I rather spend the $$$ and ride.

YAMAHAZONE...

What is this bit about???

IMPORTANT: WHEN REPLACING ANY HYDRAULIC OEM TENSIONER WITH A MANUAL TENSIONER, IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THE OIL PASSAGE THAT SUPPLIED THE OEM TENSIONER IS BLOCKED OFF. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN A LOW OIL PRESSURE SITUATION.
    -Jay

You call it facial hair... I call it AWESOMENESS escaping through my face!

Previous Bikes: 09 Rebel 250, 09 FZ6R, 09 R6, 11 FZ8, 02 Bandit 1200S

Member #
    Some bike have CCT issues, timming chain bouncing around until the oil psi load the cam chain tensionner. Yam are on their 3rd version already... The fizzer kit is simply a M6 set screw, nut and plastic washer that keep the adkuster from backing off. Work well but doesn't fix a defective CCT.

What happen is the screw that preload inside the oem cct back off and the tensionner loose his tention at start up. And some get worst than others. Was the same with some FZ6 back in the days from what I heard.

The APE adjuster is a manual adjuster. You need to keep an eye on it but if the chain start to be noisy at start up all you need to do is had a little bit of preload and lock it up again for thousand of worry free happy miles.

The APE tensionner was design to cover the oil passage inside the bore where it fit.
    Last edited by marthy; 07-30-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    River likes this.

JSP
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marthy View Post
    Some bike have CCT issues, timming chain bouncing around until the oil psi load the cam chain tensionner. Yam are on their 3rd version already... The fizzer kit is simply a M6 set screw, nut and plastic washer that keep the adkuster from backing off. Work well but doesn't fix a defective CCT.

What happen is the screw that preload inside the oem cct back off and the tensionner loose his tention at start up. And some get worst than others. Was the same with some FZ6 back in the days from what I heard.

The APE adjuster is a manual adjuster. You need to keep an eye on it but if the chain start to be noisy at start up all you need to do is had a little bit of preload and lock it up again for thousand of worry free happy miles.

The APE tensionner was design to cover the oil passage inside the bore where it fit.
    Thanks..
    marthy likes this.
    -Jay

You call it facial hair... I call it AWESOMENESS escaping through my face!

Previous Bikes: 09 Rebel 250, 09 FZ6R, 09 R6, 11 FZ8, 02 Bandit 1200S

Member #
    Nice detailed write up Marthy,

Am I wrong in thinking that the original CCT design was intended to utilize the oil passage in order to increase tension on the chain as the engine speed increases? A dynamic tensioner so to speak?

With the APE tensioner it seems that the timing chain receives a consistent amount of tension regardless of the engine speed or engine temp.

Perhaps Yamaha wanted to avoid a consistent amount of tension on the timing chain in order to avoid pre-mature wear due to the way the timing chain metal expands and contracts during its heat cycles?

The Ape design seems simple and straight forward, why would Yamaha choose to go a more complex route utilizing the varying oil pressures created while the engine is running?
    #60 2014 FZ-09 'Graves Spec #001' Build Page
    1994 Yamaha Blaster YSF-200
    1997 Ducati 748
    2005 Ducati Monster S4R (part-out)
    2001 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track / Street (wrecked)

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links