DDM 55W HID Install, suggestions please
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on DDM 55W HID Install, suggestions please within the Yamaha FZ-09 Guides and How-To's forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; As we all know the low and high beams on our bikes suck, the passing beam feature is more of what I call my turn/apex ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DDM 55W HID Install, suggestions please

Member #

As we all know the low and high beams on our bikes suck, the passing beam feature is more of what I call my turn/apex beam. 95% of the time I ride when its dark out and use the passing beam trigger so I can see where I'm going mid turn!

I recently bought a DDM 55W HID Hi/Low kit and have installed the exact same kit on my DRZ SM in the past, which I'm pleased with the performance. I plan on installing the latest kit in the 9 this weekend however I would like some suggestions on where to stash the ballast and controller that is out of sight and not on the side of the tank. Maybe on the inside of the frame rails, etc? I've searched for a detailed install here and beyond with no luck. Anyone here done this same mod and willing to offer up some tips and maybe even a detailed install guide with pictures?

Thanks!

Member #
    I haven't installed a HID, what are the dimensions of the ballast? Maybe put it in the left side fake air scoop? This how-to tells you how to get in there.

https://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-...e-balance.html

Or is that what you meant by "the side of the tank"?

phasterthanyou likes this.

Member #
    2 3/4" X 4", quite big.. Thanks for the link on the tank removal. An yes, trying to avoid mounting in the air scoop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hmm, hard to imagine a place under the tank for something that big. Have you looked under the seat? There is space in front of the battery, under the front of the seat. I don't know, does that cause a problem with wire length?

phasterthanyou likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    Under seat mounting would almost for sure cause issues with wire length Bob, although I'm not familiar with his specific model/brand. Most of the HID ballasts have pretty short wires from the ballast/igniter to the bulb socket....usually around a foot or so in length.

I put in a Cree LED light on my bike and mounted the ballast/power supply under the triple tree, using the horn mounting bracket, and relocated the horn to the left fake air intake. I had to make a little aluminum mounting plate for it, and got the idea from FJRider, who did a write up on it.

https://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-...ification.html
    v2Bob, phasterthanyou and RBC like this.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Lead Intermediate Instructor (Retired)

Member #
    I think I found the perfect realestate, under the seat in between the battery and the tank, inside the tray. I test fitted the ballast and hi/low controller and they would fit snuggly in there. I would have to extend a total of 7 wires, and run them on the inside of the frame rail and follow the path of the cables out to the headlight. Seems like this will be the cleanest install. I wonder if extending the wires from the ballast to the bulb will be a problem? Anyone?
    I'll probably start tackling this on Monday after my weekend rides. With the tank off I have no excuse not to have Nick flash the ECU! So I'll most likely send that out Tuesday after the HID install.

Member #
    The only thing that would cause a problem with the tray is a Power Commander as they designed all of the cable lengths for it to go in the forward tray. Ask me how I know? I had a Fuzeblock in that very spot.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DNFDOUG View Post
    The only thing that would cause a problem with the tray is a Power Commander as they designed all of the cable lengths for it to go in the forward tray. Ask me how I know? I had a Fuzeblock in that very spot.
    No plans for a PC any time soon, so I should be good... As long as extending the wires from the ballast to the bulbs isn't an issue. i.e., shorting the bulb, melting wires, etc.. I suspect its a non-issue, however worth asking you guys.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    Isn't the wiring that goes from the ballast to the bulb a heavily insulated wire on your HID setup? If I remember correctly (and lately that's not always the case), when the HIDs are turned on there is a high voltage applied to the bulb to strike the arc...something in the neighborhood of 4000 Volts for a split second. Regular automotive type wire doesn't have the insulation value needed to sustain that high voltage I'm thinking.
    RichBaker likes this.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Lead Intermediate Instructor (Retired)

Member #
    DDM 55W HID Install, suggestions please-imag0807.jpg
    Well, glad I asked! Here's shot of the connections I will have to extend. The appear to be no more than something like a 12v 16 gauge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links