AZ Apache trail has been re-paved
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on AZ Apache trail has been re-paved within the Southwest FZ-09 Owners forums, part of the FZ-09 Regional Forums category; I will be checking out the recently repaved Apache trail today. Google images was showing some Sept 2018 images and the rough road is now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AZ Apache trail has been re-paved

Member #

I will be checking out the recently repaved Apache trail today.
    Google images was showing some Sept 2018 images and the rough road is now gone, especially those nasty cracks that ran across the road every 10 feet that just slammed the suspension. If you call it up and get 2016 images or earlier, you can see how bad it had become.
    Best get on it before the heavy vehicles F it up again.
    fz9-tx-guy likes this.
    RichBinAZ
    2014 FZ-09 + Stoltec Shock
    2001 Triumph Bonneville
    1991 GSX1100G (the shafty Bandit)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    What a fine piece of road that is. Thanks for sharing the news.

Member #
    It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. There is even a new roundabout just after you get onto the trail from Idaho road.
    The ford at TF is still that lumpy old piece of concrete and the road after that has not been worked on. Though the surface seems weird and not as I remember it.

They are still working on it though and I came across people putting down corner speed signs in the road and then there is a paint striping truck going along with a caravan of pickups with flashing lights.
    I did not notice any of the curves being reduced in difficulty. Still blind and reducing radii deals, with patches of loose gravel in places because of the rain. And still no barriers to stop you sliding over the side.

Fun ride though. Ideal for a lightweight bike like the....
    ridetofish and fz9-tx-guy like this.
    RichBinAZ
    2001 Triumph Bonneville

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hey Rich, have you ever taken 288 up towards Young? Very nice ride and great scenery and photo ops. I spent a few winters in Mesa with my Bandit and did that road several times. There was a very short section of dirt then back to good pavement...if that dirt section is still there its fairly short and in good shape so dont turn back! Takes you up into the high country.

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.H4RY1iqKbaY
    fz9-tx-guy likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    [QUOTE=RichBinAZ;847612]It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. /QUOTE]

Well that there looks to be one of the best 15 mile stretches of motorcycling anywhere. What a cosmic experience it would be to have the whole 40 miles paved all the way to Roosevelt.
    I've always liked your part of the world. Well...at least when it's below 85F.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1216bandit View Post
    Hey Rich, have you ever taken 288 up towards Young? Very nice ride and great scenery and photo ops. I spent a few winters in Mesa with my Bandit and did that road several times. There was a very short section of dirt then back to good pavement...if that dirt section is still there its fairly short and in good shape so dont turn back! Takes you up into the high country.

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.H4RY1iqKbaY
    I have not done the 288 to Young, probably won't do it as the arthritis in my hands kinds of stops long distance riding now. I do remember taking the 60 out to the salt river canyon with a couple of guys. There are a couple of nice hairpin turns going down into that. I was on a 700 Intruder at the time and I remember going round the last hairpin on the way back grinding the right footpeg support all the way through the curve. (not hard, it grounded easily). Must have made lots of sparks cos when I got home I had a look and the support was ground half way thru. Fun.

I did take a 1250 bandit up to Flagstaff via Clints well/Mormon lake. Nice run, not a lot of traffic. Got all kinds of leg cramps on the way back, had to get off at one point... then 3 days later I couldn't sit down at work (cad jockey). That's when I knew my long distance days were over.
    RichBinAZ
    2001 Triumph Bonneville

Member #
    [QUOTE=ridetofish;847622]
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBinAZ View Post
    It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. /QUOTE]

Well that there looks to be one of the best 15 mile stretches of motorcycling anywhere. What a cosmic experience it would be to have the whole 40 miles paved all the way to Roosevelt.
    I've always liked your part of the world. Well...at least when it's below 85F.
    You wouldn't have liked yesterday then, it was 90F. But it is cooling off a bit now
    It would likely break the bank to pave it all the way - little problems like fish hill would make it quite costly.
    Don't you love those "crash barriers" - more like edge markers for a steep cliff.
    ridetofish likes this.
    RichBinAZ
    2001 Triumph Bonneville

Member #
    Rich this has nothing to do with the subject but you may find it helpful. Several yrs ago I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my left hip as well as an inflamed disc that was causing big time sciatica pain down my left leg. My doctor prescribed an anti inflammatory that was a game changer for me...allowed me to work pain free from the arthritis as well as getting rid of the sciatica issues. The relief was dramatic and immediate...pretty much over night! Its slow release that was to be taken daily but I find I can take it every 2nd or 3rd day and still be pain free. No cure for arthritis, but the pain causing inflammation is gone!
    This is how it is on my prescription bottle..."DICLOFENAC SOD SR 100MG"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBinAZ View Post
    I will be checking out the recently repaved Apache trail today.
    Google images was showing some Sept 2018 images and the rough road is now gone, especially those nasty cracks that ran across the road every 10 feet that just slammed the suspension. If you call it up and get 2016 images or earlier, you can see how bad it had become.
    Best get on it before the heavy vehicles F it up again.
    Good news!

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Wow, what a great road. You guys that live anywhere near there are super fortunate.
    Sadly it's so far out of my reach I can only dream of riding it but then I guess I think of Jessica Alba the same way!
    ridetofish likes this.
    "There is a grey blur and a green blur so I try to stay on the grey one"-------Joey Dunlop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links