Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? within the FZ-09 News forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 News category; Yes, it’s all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?

Sponsored Editorial Content
    Supporting Member
    Member #

Yes, it’s all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and some BMW Boxers, need the clutch – or at least a little clutch – for nearly every shift. Most sportbikes only need you to use the clutch to pull away from stops and for the shift from first to second gear.

At slow, around-town speeds, we mostly use at least a little clutch to shift anyway; you don’t need to pull the lever all the way in every time you use it. But if you’re steadily accelerating, and especially at WOT (wide open throttle), you’ll find that after second gear, if you roll the throttle closed just enough to unload the driveline, for just a split second, with your toe pressing on the lever, then third gear will slip right in without using the clutch at all. Fourth, 5th and 6th will slip in even easier since the gaps between them are increasingly smaller. Done smoothly, it’s no harder on your gearbox than using the clutch.
    Read more about Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? at Motorcycle.com.

Member #

Great to know!!!!

I actually noticed this on my 17" FZ09. It was never done intentionally but I noticed a few times, when my foot would accidentally nudge the shifter it would pop up a gear. And it would happen smoothly as though it was designed like that. Always made me worried/scratch my head if I broke anything. Great to know. So does this mean that it acts as a quick shifter (minus 1-N-2)?

Member #
    Eh, I prefer to pull in the clutch just past the disconnect point and then shift and let it go. On a light clutch like the the FZ engine its pretty easy to do.
    Rocky_MTN_FZ09 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I hardly use the clutch for up and down. For sure, 1st to 2nd then the rest no clutch... too wide a throw. The foot has to be under the lever but no load. The chain has to be loose but too loose and the shift won't be clean. Too many miss-shifts the chain is too loose. Blip for downshifts. The main word here is 'timing.' No timing, you clan the gears and once you hear it bang gears, pull the clutch in and let it drop into gear, don't chase it, don't rev it. This is an old style formula 1 gearbox that hasn't changed since inception. Seamless has an updated 'syncro-mesh' kind of helper gear.

Member #
    I blip the throttle on downshifts without the clutch most of the time, if timing is right it is much smoother than using the clutch. Usually partial clutch pull on upshifts. I miss the old 2smoke dirtbike days of just holding her WFO and pulling up on the shifter...Woohoo!
    -Akra full exhaust
    -Vcyclenut flash
    -Graves block off plates
    -billet rear sets
    -billet rear reservoir
    -Evotech rad guard
    -Antigravity battery
    -Rizoma bars
    -Gilles adjustable risers
    -LED front signals
    -Motodynamic sequential rear light
    -Yoshi fender eliminator
    -Evotech pillion removal kit
    -Driven Racing Halo gas cap
    -Luimoto seat cover
    -Spiegler front and rear braided brake lines
    -KT Moto HID headlight with Halo.
    -K Tech Razor R shock and Racetech gold fork valve

Member #
    If you go to the link it will show the entire picture with the text at the bottom.

Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission?-clutchless-shifts.jpg

The barrel-shaped sensor on this BMW S1000RR’s shift linkage tells its ECU when to cut the spark for a split second and allows superquick clutchless shifts – the same thing you do by rolling off the gas.

Sure a quick shift might be handy if you are racing, but even then it's better if it allows up and down shifting. For the street, once you get the hang of it, you can easily do clutchless shifts. So save your money and just learn how to shift properly. Plus I would hate to see what happens when the quick shift fails during hard acceleration and a wide open throttle....ouch!
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #

3/4 clutch lever

I also found the 3/4 clutch levers, instead of the full-size clever that come stock from the manufacturer, help tremendously in refining that fine point between a little clutch and full clutch. A cheap performance upgrade since you can adjust the point the clutch grabs to your hand size.

Member #
    It's easy to learn how to clutch-less shift, and here is a good video that explains how to do clutch-less up and down shifts.

Last edited by Rocky_MTN_FZ09; 11-03-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    MoFZio and parkmeister like this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Homebrewer29
    I've been out of the motorcycle world for about 18 years. What is a 3/4 clutch lever? I already hate the clutch lever and the location of the horn button on my new FZ09.

Member #
    It's just a shorter lever, search ebay you'll find them all day. There are also really short, which I don't like, but some do.. search fz09 levers,

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links