Tires
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Tires

This is a discussion on Tires within the FZ-09 Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; For the guys that have run Michelin Road 5's and Michelin Pilot Powers...... I am trying to decide which one to get. I have watched ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By meinschaft
  • 2 Post By shamrock
  • 1 Post By LouG
  • 1 Post By scotts09

Thread: Tires

Member #

Tires

For the guys that have run Michelin Road 5's and Michelin Pilot Powers...... I am trying to decide which one to get. I have watched videos and searched here alot and narrowed down to these two. My favorite riding is the twisties and have taken the stock tires to the edge and they are sticky enough once heated up real good but I have 2500 on them and the middle is at the wear markers. I have ran the Pilot Powers on my old bikes (GSXR 750, R1) and trust them very well but I am curious about the Road 5's ( for Mileage) if I would be as confident in them on the edges? I seen youtube video where guy on MT-09 saved highside on the Road 5's which kinda scared me away from them but thought I would ask here to the peeps that ride the MT-09! Any replies with experience on these tires would be appreciated!

Member #
    Give these a try and you won't have to worry about wet pavement or hustling the twisties on the edges of your tires. And the mileage will surprise you.

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/produ...res/roadtec-01
    scotts09 and dcpppf like this.
    1965 Triumph Bonneville, 1968 Honda Cl350, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Yamaha XS650, 1999 Triumph Legend TT, 2004 Kawasaki Z750S, 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008.5 Yamaha FZ1, 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Sounds like you want to "sport" ride on sport touring tires.
    Of course you can but give it some thought anytime you go charging into a corner because sport touring tires don't stick like real performance tires.
    Of course "one mans ceiling is another mans floor" so if I were you I would be asking my riding buddies not random people you don't know.
    Mileage is one thing but running tires hard to the edge is something else.
    scotts09 and Evol like this.
    "There is a grey blur and a green blur so I try to stay on the grey one"-------Joey Dunlop

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by meinschaft View Post
    Give these a try and you won't have to worry about wet pavement or hustling the twisties on the edges of your tires. And the mileage will surprise you.

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/produ...res/roadtec-01
    Thanks for the reply, I will look into them!

Member #
    I've never had PR4's let go and I believe the 5's are stickier on the edges. Maybe I'm a slow rider but my chicken strips are more like a chicken pin stripes.
    scotts09 likes this.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Sounds like you want to "sport" ride on sport touring tires.
    Of course you can but give it some thought anytime you go charging into a corner because sport touring tires don't stick like real performance tires.
    Of course "one mans ceiling is another mans floor" so if I were you I would be asking my riding buddies not random people you don't know.
    Mileage is one thing but running tires hard to the edge is something else.
    Thanks Shamrock..... I dont ride real fast and its just the back tire to the edge not front but I think your right I should stick to the sport tire for the kind of riding I like to do. I have just heard on the internet lol that the new "sport touring tires" were very good but I dont know anyone who rides with them so thats why I thought I would come here and seek advice and thanks for the comment because if they dont stick as good as the pilot powers I dont want them. Just gonna have to ease off that throttle a lil bit on the straits lol as the middle is the only thing worn.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LouG View Post
    I've never had PR4's let go and I believe the 5's are stickier on the edges. Maybe I'm a slow rider but my chicken strips are more like a chicken pin stripes.
    Thanks LouG, I dont consider myself a fast rider either. I think its just due to my lack of technique. I dont hang off at all so the back tire generally is all the way out to the edge. Before the MT09 I had a GSXR-750 and R1 before that one and the Pilot Power was always my go to so I am probably gonna try those out on the MT09 this go around and if I wear them out quickly I may try the Road 5's. Again thanks for the reply bro!
    LouG likes this.

Sponsored Links