Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

need some tire bead breaking ideas??

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  saksittb 
#1 ·
Got my new tires and trying to get the old ones off. I got proper spoons to do it but wow these beads are TIGHT. more so than car tires. Any trick to breaking the beads on these tires.

I been using a heat gun to warm up tire and trying to break the bead and cant get it. The tire is too wide (Rear) for the vice trick? I was thinking of trying the board on it and carefully driving truck on it to break the bead but any other ideas. I have a Harbor Freight tire changer not bolted down anywhere but I may try to find a pallet or something to bolt that to so I can use the bead breaker portion on that if I can again find something to bolt the damn thing too.

Just looking for other recommendations or tricks other people have used.

Thanks!!!!

#2 ·
What are you trying to use currently? Just curious.

You can get real creative with a floor or bottle jack in a pinch. I contemplated trying a bottle jack on the rubber but under the truck hitch, but never did give it a shot. I know a lot of folks will use a 6' 2x4 and wedge it under a truck frame and use that to push a shorter 18" section of 2x4 to break the bead. But that usually takes a friend and is pretty sketchy.

I wish I had pics of what I fab'd up handy because I can't find the link that inspired it. I went to home depot and bought some square steel tube and a short el bracket. Ended up cutting/drilling and mounting my wedge to a stud in my shed and it works like a charm. Breaking the beads on the FZ used to be an utter nightmare.

I was thinking that the lip of the tire sat on one of the "legs" of the HFT changer when you used the bead breaker though. Will it not "pinch" from both sides or does it just push against the floor?

this one looked pretty cut and dry haha.

Reactions: 2wheelgnnr
#3 · (Edited)
ok maybe your right on the HF tire changer and I can do that. NOw Im just heating up tire to be pliable and using the spoon and a block of wood with my BRUTE strength to try and slip the bead off....

My brother suggested clamps...but I will the floor jack trick or the 2x4. I get how your doing the homemade bead breaker with the square tubing....works like using the HG bead breaker... but yes it seems the HF will only break one side of the bead at a time. but thats ok. Thank for the ideas!! Those suckers are on there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not a bad idea here!!
I like it actually

and the jack idea

#4 ·
Yeah i tried clamps too on my first go around... no luck for me either. and yup that video is what i was trying to explain with the 6' long 2x4 haha. much more elegant than balancing it on top of a shorter piece of wood though lol. Nice and simple!

You're definitely on the right track with heat though. if you aren't dousing with soapy water I'd suggest that too. it's never worked well for me mounting a tire, but seems to help out for breaking the bead.

#5 ·
I use the motion pro bead breaker. Just go around the tire a few times and it breaks lose if you wet the tire really well. Sometimes you can't always get it to break in one spot and have to move a little and try again. I've also used a few 2x4's in the past to break the bead under the bottom of a car by using the car bottom as a platform (not driving or anything). Haven't had to do that with the correct tools. I did use the HF tire changer and IMO that thing is junk, so much easier to do it with the tire on the ground.

#8 ·
I use the motion pro bead breaker. Just go around the tire a few times and it breaks lose if you wet the tire really well. Sometimes you can't always get it to break in one spot and have to move a little and try again. I've also used a few 2x4's in the past to break the bead under the bottom of a car by using the car bottom as a platform (not driving or anything). Haven't had to do that with the correct tools. I did use the HF tire changer and IMO that thing is junk, so much easier to do it with the tire on the ground.
You watch your tone sir... Jk. with a few small upgrades (that cost double or triple the cost of the changer itself) I have had great luck with mine!

Reactions: gerdawg
#7 ·
I had the soapy water nearby for installation but Yeah I plan it douse it up with it on tonights go around.... Once you get it looks simple/good from there?!

Thanks all.

Gonna try the trailer hitch on truck as a leverage point with wheel on ground. then go to the floor jack truck if for some reason that does not work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.