Best tire for dry, fast road use only - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Best tire for dry, fast road use only

This is a discussion on Best tire for dry, fast road use only within the FZ-09 Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Just go with the Mich Road 5's and call it done. A great tire for all conditions and you won't be looking for more grip. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Best tire for dry, fast road use only

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Just go with the Mich Road 5's and call it done. A great tire for all conditions and you won't be looking for more grip. Pricey, but you should get two seasons out of a set.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetofish View Post
    Just go with the Mich Road 5's and call it done. A great tire for all conditions and you won't be looking for more grip. Pricey, but you should get two seasons out of a set.
    Yeah, will either be these or the Corsa III.

As it happens, done 850 miles on the OEM rubber now and I have no real problems with them.
    Of course, I don't know what the improvement will be without trying the other tyres out on exactly the same bike...

I will stick with them now - spring is here and summer approaches and they were okay in the wet anyway.
    ridetofish likes this.
    2019 Yamaha MT-09 SP
    Matching solo seat cowl
    Billet levers
    Carbon frame infil
    Fender extenda

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPainRing View Post
    I am running Dunlop Q3+ and dry road traction is excellent. Have not ridden them in the rain. I am guessing based on current wear that the rear will not make it much past 7-8K miles.
    7-8K out of Q3+? I would be happy to get 3K out of that tire..... I cant get 8K out of any tire let alone a pure sport tire
    ridetofish and 2thdr like this.
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with the Michelin PR's? I had a set of PR4s that I eeked 8k out of. Been riding Dunlop road smarts ever since. Got about 11k on this rear with more to go.

I can't speak much to performance, but just wasn't thrilled with the lifetime.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    I'm with LouG, Metzeler Roadtec 01's. Perhaps the most underrated tire out there. If it ever warms up here, I'll be starting my third season on them. The rear has 75%, the front has 85% remaining. Not for the track, but otherwise the best tire I've ever used.
    Crosshairs and LouG like this.
    1965 Triumph Bonneville, 1968 Honda Cl350, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Yamaha XS650, 1999 Triumph Legend TT, 2004 Kawasaki Z750S, 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008.5 Yamaha FZ1, 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpppf View Post
    Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with the Michelin PR's? I had a set of PR4s that I eeked 8k out of. Been riding Dunlop road smarts ever since. Got about 11k on this rear with more to go.

I can't speak much to performance, but just wasn't thrilled with the lifetime.
    Honestly, I come from a time where I lived with getting a measly 2500 miles out of a rear tire. I was going through 3 sets a summer. So getting 6000 miles out of a PR4 was a treat. I switched to Metz M7rr but I prefer the profile of the Pilots. Sounds like you have reasonable expectations and the OEM tires will suffice for the time being. Enjoy the ride and keep safe.
    Crosshairs likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshairs View Post
    7-8K out of Q3+? I would be happy to get 3K out of that tire..... I cant get 8K out of any tire let alone a pure sport tire
    Me too! The one time I tried them, I got about 2700-2800 miles on the rear and less than 5K on the front....but I do like the way they stick, especially dropping the rear down to 25-26 psi cold.
    Crosshairs likes this.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Lead Intermediate Instructor (Retired)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    Me too! The one time I tried them, I got about 2700-2800 miles on the rear and less than 5K on the front....but I do like the way they stick, especially dropping the rear down to 25-26 psi cold.
    Running Q3's under inflated may make them stick but it also shortens their life. But I do understand the need to do so if on the track.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshairs View Post
    Sounds like my guess is overly optimistic!

Member #
    Metzler m7, great dry grip and they work well in the rain. Roadtec 01 if you want more mileage.
    LouG likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links