Akrapovic install/foot peg mount questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Akrapovic install/foot peg mount questions within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Currently installing the full carbon/stainless system on my 2017. Ran into a small problem when fitting the new muffler bracket behind the right foot peg ...

Thread: Akrapovic install/foot peg mount questions

Member #

Currently installing the full carbon/stainless system on my 2017. Ran into a small problem when fitting the new muffler bracket behind the right foot peg bracket, that lower rear bolt was VERY hard to tighten...felt like the threads were being stripped, but they weren't. Is this all because of the factory loctite? I cleaned it off the bolt, but there was still some left inside the bolt hole threads and I didn't think that would be nearly enough to make this bolt that hard to turn. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it necessary to clean out all the factory loctite and use new loctite, or is it ok to come back to that later on since I have it tightened up and just want to get to the test ride?I haven't seen in the akrapovic instructions anything about loctite, but do you guys recommend using loctite on other hardware for this install? I am torquing everything to spec.
    And is there any harm that can be done to the bike taking it on 1 or 2 short rides/commutes without the ECU flash done yet, with the baffle removed from this exhaust? I know it's going to be very lean, but if it's best to get the ecu done before riding it at all I will do that.

Member #
    The manual has those bolts at 20 N-m (14 lbf-ft) and does not specify thread locker. Maybe a previous owner put loctite on?

I recently installed on a 2019 and the bolts went easy. If you were cross threading the bolt, I think it's 10mm, it would be seriously hard to turn with a 3/8 drive ratchet. Not like slightly more than turning by hand, but rather it'd be unreasonably hard to turn for a bolt that size.

Member #
    It's the bolt that uses a 12 mm socket , the rear set's lower bolt. I got this bike brand new, and there was heavy duty dark green-blue loctite on this bolt. It was almost unreasonably hard to loosen, and tighten. The 14mm nut right in front of it was hard to break loose too, for putting in that Akra muffler mount. If anyone knows about this bolt being hard to turn from the factory please let me know

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    https://youtu.be/-jGHAJH9JDk

This video I found shows it at 5:40. I checked the bolt again, not stripped. But I think it looked slightly crooked from applying so much pressure to it so that must be why it's still hard to turn. This may not be necessary but I want to get a new bolt and maybe clean up the threads in the frame with a tap at some point since a few of the bolt threads looked a little "squared off" up close. Would y'all do the same or just leave it alone?

Member #
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the two bolts for the muffler. The RH lower rearset bolt does have green loctite on it.

Sponsored Links