Notice to FZ/MT-09 2017-19 owners buying a full exhaust!
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Notice to FZ/MT-09 2017-19 owners buying a full exhaust! within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I’ve got a 2018. Put on a full Akrapovic and thought like most of you send off the ECU to be flashed. The system is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Notice to FZ/MT-09 2017-19 owners buying a full exhaust!

Member #

I’ve got a 2018. Put on a full Akrapovic and thought like most of you send off the ECU to be flashed. The system is lean already and adding the exhaust will lean it further so naturally we send off the ECU to a bunch of tuner heads that have been improving FZ/EuroMTs since 2014. Those improvements were indeed spectacular because Yamaha’s stock mapping was poorly implemented in many ways. Tuners came to the rescue. However, the Yamaha engineers fixed those issues starting with the release of the 2017 models, MT/MT 07,09,10. If your ECU serial # ends in -10 DO NOT REFLASH ECU when you add a FULL EXHAUST from some outfit using maps developed for the old pre-2017 firmware. You will lose all your torque and HP.
    If you take your bike to the dyno guy and he doesn’t know this bike well and doesn’t ask if you have added the AIS block-off kit. Run!

The old firmware (pre2017) allowed FlashTune software to turn off AIS (Air Injection System). New Firmware blocks that ability. I don’t care if you spend all day on the dyno the exhaust sniffer will read lean when it is not.

BOTTOM LINE. You want exhaust fine. Put it on. Do NOT send your ECU in for a tune without first testing if with the stock ecu first. If you are so concerned about leaning conditions. Run it and check your plugs after 100 miles. If the electrode insulators or a light cocoa color. Don’t touch a thing.
    2018 Yamaha MT-09
    1986 Yamaha Virago 1100 Special Edition
    2008 Yamaha YZ 450Fcc
    2006 Yamaha YZ 250cc
    2002 Yamaha YZ 250cc

You don't quit riding because you get old - You get old because you quit riding...

Member #
    Thanks for the info as these recent tuner posts are timely for me. I have a 17 fz09 and just bought but have yet to install the FT kit. My bike came with an m4 exhaust that pops like crazy and I was looking at disabling the AIS and maybe tuning the maps a little and dropping the fan on temp.

From what I'm reading now it seems AIS and O2 can't be disabled on a 17+. Is there really a point for installing the FT kit or should I just return it? Would I be better off installing block off plates and if I did would I need a tune?

Member #
    vcyclenut, Ivan, and fuelmoto are probably the only people to deal with for flashing your ECU. Especially fuelmoto since they have this specific bike and do real time tuning. Proper research is key. Thanks for the write up though, this should open some eyes.
    Last edited by HyperNakedPimp; 06-03-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    2017 Yamaha FZ-09Modified

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    If you fit a full system you should always get a baseline AFR run on a dyno. Unfortunately plug readings are no longer a good guide with unleaded fuel.
    marthy likes this.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
    I’ve got a 2018. Put on a full Akrapovic and thought like most of you send off the ECU to be flashed. The system is lean already and adding the exhaust will lean it further so naturally we send off the ECU to a bunch of tuner heads that have been improving FZ/EuroMTs since 2014. Those improvements were indeed spectacular because Yamaha’s stock mapping was poorly implemented in many ways. Tuners came to the rescue. However, the Yamaha engineers fixed those issues starting with the release of the 2017 models, MT/MT 07,09,10. If your ECU serial # ends in -10 DO NOT REFLASH ECU when you add a FULL EXHAUST from some outfit using maps developed for the old pre-2017 firmware. You will lose all your torque and HP.
    If you take your bike to the dyno guy and he doesn’t know this bike well and doesn’t ask if you have added the AIS block-off kit. Run!

The old firmware (pre2017) allowed FlashTune software to turn off AIS (Air Injection System). New Firmware blocks that ability. I don’t care if you spend all day on the dyno the exhaust sniffer will read lean when it is not.

BOTTOM LINE. You want exhaust fine. Put it on. Do NOT send your ECU in for a tune without first testing if with the stock ecu first. If you are so concerned about leaning conditions. Run it and check your plugs after 100 miles. If the electrode insulators or a light cocoa color. Don’t touch a thing.
    You're correct and incorrect at the same time. Yes FlashTune does not have the ability to disable the AIS or O2 sensor on the 2017+ fz09. But that does not mean tuners are unable to. Woolich software currently does have the ability to disable both AIS and the O2 sensor on 17+ fz09s. And many tuners are currently offering Woolich software for later years fz09s. I also am not sure if they changed the fueling on the 17+ fz09, but highly doubt they did. So IMO i would still recommend getting a tune for 17+ fz09s to get more fuel with a new exhaust. I would just recommend a tuner using woolich software and not flashtunes.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tplayer100 View Post
    You're correct and incorrect at the same time. Yes FlashTune does not have the ability to disable the AIS or O2 sensor on the 2017+ fz09. But that does not mean tuners are unable to. Woolich software currently does have the ability to disable both AIS and the O2 sensor on 17+ fz09s. And many tuners are currently offering Woolich software for later years fz09s. I also am not sure if they changed the fueling on the 17+ fz09, but highly doubt they did. So IMO i would still recommend getting a tune for 17+ fz09s to get more fuel with a new exhaust. I would just recommend a tuner using woolich software and not flashtunes.
    My main point is do not reflash without knowing and riding the bike with a new full exhaust first. Not only did going back to the stock mapping give me back all my horsepower and torque the popping was reduced as well. 2018 MT-09 with Akrapovic Titanium alloy exhaust with Carbon fiber cannister. Bolt it on and leave it alone. Industry standard is FlashTune. Most maps are based on it and older versions of the Yamaha ECU firmware. Don't know Woolich if they are getting it right these days great, but get the word out for God's sakes. I had a well respected high level race tune outfit in southern California total F up my ECU for the reasons I mentioned. They can't babysit every new firmware change that comes out of Tokyo. So I'm just saying make one change at a time. Don't assume things based on standards us old guys lived by on carbureted bikes or early injected bikes. It just doesn't apply.

PS. On the AIS. If you don't physically put in the block-off plates you are kidding yourself. Dyno is going to smell that air. Why take the chance.
    2018 Yamaha MT-09
    1986 Yamaha Virago 1100 Special Edition
    2008 Yamaha YZ 450Fcc
    2006 Yamaha YZ 250cc
    2002 Yamaha YZ 250cc

You don't quit riding because you get old - You get old because you quit riding...

Member #
    Akrapovic says on their website that their system is designed to work with the stock fuel map. Mine runs great without a flash.

Lately I've been reading of more problems from people using FlashTune, things you wouldn't expect. Dunno. Over the weekend, I read of some issues some racers found that took them out of races because they couldn't work around the issues. IIRC, it was related to Yamahas (R6's).

Other tuners seem to be having a better time of it.
    '92 Bandit 400
    '18 MT-09

Member #
    The point of this article should be when seeking tuning, go to a reliable source. There is alot misinformation in this thread now. 1st, a Flashed ECU removes all factory programming/parameters so the tuner of choice can rewrite the ECU. This will allow them to turn on/off whatever they need. Not sure who told you AIS and O2 cant be turned on/off but, this is incorrect.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperNakedPimp View Post
    The point of this article should be when seeking tuning, go to a reliable source. There is alot misinformation in this thread now. 1st, a Flashed ECU removes all factory programming/parameters so the tuner of choice can rewrite the ECU. This will allow them to turn on/off whatever they need. Not sure who told you AIS and O2 cant be turned on/off but, this is incorrect.
    There is definitely some misleading information about how flashing your ECU works. In regards to 2017+ bikes I don't believe you can actually disable the AIS but you can disable the engine code from disconnecting the AIS so your check engine light isn't on. You also can't disable O2 sensor on the XSR900 but you can disable/run closed loop on mt-09/tracer. I don't care how reputable a shop might be, if they don't have much experience working with particular bike models you're not going to get a great result. Some race shop in California might know your standard inline 4 bikes inside and out but it's not going to run like the triple in our bikes.

I've yet to hear anyone on this forum, facebook, or reddit complain about having their ecu flashed by vcyclenut or Ivan. This is why it's important to do your research and see who has the most experience with flashing ECUs for your particular model. R6realtor just had his new MT-09 ran on the dyno by vcyclenut and after playing around he said vcyclenuts standard tune gave the best results. If that doesn't get the point across about someone knowing what he's doing, I don't know what will.
    marthy and vcyclenut like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by astcyr View Post
    There is definitely some misleading information about how flashing your ECU works. In regards to 2017+ bikes I don't believe you can actually disable the AIS but you can disable the engine code from disconnecting the AIS so your check engine light isn't on. You also can't disable O2 sensor on the XSR900 but you can disable/run closed loop on mt-09/tracer. I don't care how reputable a shop might be, if they don't have much experience working with particular bike models you're not going to get a great result. Some race shop in California might know your standard inline 4 bikes inside and out but it's not going to run like the triple in our bikes.

I've yet to hear anyone on this forum, facebook, or reddit complain about having their ecu flashed by vcyclenut or Ivan. This is why it's important to do your research and see who has the most experience with flashing ECUs for your particular model. R6realtor just had his new MT-09 ran on the dyno by vcyclenut and after playing around he said vcyclenuts standard tune gave the best results. If that doesn't get the point across about someone knowing what he's doing, I don't know what will.
    Fuelmoto is also a great place, they have there own 2017 fz09 that they tune/test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links