Stoltec FPK Experience
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Stoltec FPK Experience

This is a discussion on Stoltec FPK Experience within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Hello all, I wanted to give you my feedback on the Stoltec Fork Piston Kit and ordering process. First let me just say that Nick ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By LeanTheMachine
  • 1 Post By dcpppf
  • 3 Post By PaulNYC
  • 1 Post By dcpppf
  • 1 Post By LeanTheMachine
  • 1 Post By Niner

Thread: Stoltec FPK Experience

Member #

Stoltec FPK Experience

Hello all, I wanted to give you my feedback on the Stoltec Fork Piston Kit and ordering process. First let me just say that Nick Stolten and his team were professional throughout. Great customer service and follow up communication. Now, on to the product. When I bought this bike I experienced the same thing everyone does, suspension that makes you feel like you're riding on a trampoline! My first steps were to get the correct spring rate in the forks and get a decent shock (I went with the Ohlins YA335) and that helped tremendously, but the damping in the forks still lacked significantly. Now I've watched the reviews too saying how much better the 2017+ forks are with the "80% more compression damping" etc, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's not! I went with a heavier fork oil to compensate temporarily while I looked for a budget friendly option, but of course that's still not getting it where it needs to be. I considered getting new cartridges like some of you have which is a great option and many manufacturers make great components, but at the end of the day I went with my last choice, the Stoltec FPK and I couldn't be more pleased with the result. After talking with Nick about my weight, riding style for this bike, and current setup he got a shim stack squared away for me and shipped out a kit within a day. The instructions were really detailed (and easy to follow if you don't have much experience) and the job was the same as any other revalve I've done except with the company I used to use I was always left to assemble the shim stack myself. I won't name names. Not the case here, it was pre-assembled and zip tied. So, once assembled I threw it in the chock and started adjustment and what do you know...I actually have a great range of adjustment now! Then, I took it out the next day and beat the snot out of it, and for aggressive street riding, I'm completely satisfied. The compression is much better at both high/low speed comp and the rebound is reigned in. The bike is steady in lean at speed over uneven surfaces, it holds it's line, I can wring it's neck and it's just compliant. It honestly feels like a quality bike now. This is what we all wish Yamaha had given us in the first place, but for the price of the bike I get it. Anyway, I hope that helps someone out that may be interested.
    shamrock, Niner and 2thdr like this.

Member #
    Deff interested in this. Been kicking around the idea since I want to change the fork oil soon (30k on oem fluid).

Sounds like you did the piston/revalving yourself... Would you tell a rookie in the fork world to do the "swap" program with stoltec or do you think there is enough info out there for one with little to no fork experience to get it done?
    LeanTheMachine likes this.
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    There's a great video on YouTube showing the full FPK install. Two Wheel Obsession shows it all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpppf View Post
    Deff interested in this. Been kicking around the idea since I want to change the fork oil soon (30k on oem fluid).

Sounds like you did the piston/revalving yourself... Would you tell a rookie in the fork world to do the "swap" program with stoltec or do you think there is enough info out there for one with little to no fork experience to get it done?
    Hi dc, it depends on your level of mechanical inclination I suppose. Are you a DIYer in other areas and kind of just "get" mechanical stuff? For example are you comfortable doing something like valve lash checks and valve shim replacements on the motor, change your own wheel bearings, that sort of thing? I'd say the level of difficulty falls in there somewhere. You'd also need to be a bit of a perfectionist to play around inside the forks, there's essentially no room for error when doing these jobs because you'll be drilling and filing and so on, but I don't mean to scare you away from it. Here's where you may want to start, there's a guy on here that calls himself "TwoWheelObsession" and he posted a video on youtube of this process and it's a really good one. It's around an hour and a half, watch it. When you're done there you'll know whether or not you're comfortable with this. Either way though my friend...change that oil! haha 30k is a lot and I promise you it's dirty in there. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have about specifics.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNYC View Post
    There's a great video on YouTube showing the full FPK install. Two Wheel Obsession shows it all.
    There you go, Paul knows!

Member #
    Ah thanks for the info. I'd made it about 40 min in to that video a while back. The heating with a torch to break things loose and filing stuff down definitely made me uneasy haha. I'm fine adjusting valves and other mechanical type stuff (top end rebuild on my dirtbike would prob be the most "in depth" I've gone). but something about how fine and precise the forks are scares me!

I'll finish twowheel's video and think hard on it haha. Odd's are I'll do it myself cause what better way to learn. Thanks for the review!
    Mods: under seat USB charger, complete OES slider/spool set, evotech rad guard, yoshimura FE, barracuda freccia turn signals (front and back), ASV shorty levers (black w/ gold adjusters), puig dark tinted sport screen, APE CCT, Tripage LED Pegs, Ohlin's rear shock, Akra Ti, gold/smoked stainless brake lines (front and back), PowerMadd hand guards

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpppf View Post
    Ah thanks for the info. I'd made it about 40 min in to that video a while back. The heating with a torch to break things loose and filing stuff down definitely made me uneasy haha. I'm fine adjusting valves and other mechanical type stuff (top end rebuild on my dirtbike would prob be the most "in depth" I've gone). but something about how fine and precise the forks are scares me!

I'll finish twowheel's video and think hard on it haha. Odd's are I'll do it myself cause what better way to learn. Thanks for the review!
    Awesome! I like that motivation, get in there and learn your bike! Just take your time, give yourself a weekend and make sure you have all the tools you need before you start and you'll be good to go. If you commit to doing it, keep us updated!
    dcpppf likes this.

Member #
    That Nick fellow knows a thing or two!
    Glad your 9 is a better fit for you as a result of this upgrade.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    That Nick fellow knows a thing or two!
    Glad your 9 is a better fit for you as a result of this upgrade.
    Yes he does! and thank you, it truly is. I also liked the fact that he's based about 40 miles from where I grew up haha the good old keystone state... small world.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNYC View Post

Sponsored Links