Time to Upgrade. Cartridges and Shock
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Time to Upgrade. Cartridges and Shock within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Thinking about going with Adreani Cartridges and a Nitron shock upgrade. Anyone do either of these mods (doesn’t matter what brand) and can tell me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Time to Upgrade. Cartridges and Shock

Member #

Thinking about going with Adreani Cartridges and a Nitron shock upgrade. Anyone do either of these mods (doesn’t matter what brand) and can tell me if it’s worth it or not on the 2017? After riding my friends Speed Triple R it kind of spoiled me and once I got on my bike it made me realize how a good suspension is supposed to feel. His bike made me feel way more confident and it was like riding on rails almost. Super smooth and planted.

Someone hype me up and tell me to pull the trigger!

I have heard good things about the Adreani cartridges but don’t know much about the Nitron shocks. I talked to the shop and it sounded like they are really good quality!

He also offers Ohlins and K Tech. Apparently Ohlins got bought out and is being made in Thailand now.

K tech is $500 , Ohlins is $600 and Nitron is $700
    Cartridges are $650 and labor will be around $400

Member #
    if you have the cash to go with the brand names, then go that route...I have a '15 and rebuilt the left leg, both forks had four shims removed, new springs and oil. the rear got a 2009 ZX10R shock. world of difference than stock pogo set up.

Member #
    Have you tried to adjust the stock components by setting your correct sag and rebound? Depending on weight, rider skill and application (race, canyon, commute) many 09 owners can get away with making the stock suspension work to an acceptable level for them. Failing that - all of the brands you have mentioned are quality products and you really cant go wrong with any of them. Out of the brands you have listed i would personally go with the Andreani cartridges and an Öhlins shock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolephant View Post
    Thinking about going with Adreani Cartridges and a Nitron shock upgrade. Anyone do either of these mods (doesn’t matter what brand) and can tell me if it’s worth it or not on the 2017? After riding my friends Speed Triple R it kind of spoiled me and once I got on my bike it made me realize how a good suspension is supposed to feel. His bike made me feel way more confident and it was like riding on rails almost. Super smooth and planted.

I have heard good things about the Adreani cartridges but don’t know much about the Nitron shocks. I talked to the shop and it sounded like they are really good quality!

He also offers Ohlins and K Tech. Apparently Ohlins got bought out and is being made in Thailand now.

Get together with Nick....he was pretty much the first one to do any suspension work on this bike ..you won't be able to beat his service plus he is a member and supporting vendor of this forum.

not to mention being a one hell of a nice guy...

https://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto
    shamrock likes this.
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Member #
    I have the Andreani front cartridge kit and works great with the Ohlins rear YA335 ! Great prices on these going on now ... https://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-...christmas.html
    King-Of-Bee's

Member #
    I've got Andreanis and Nitron. The shock is excellent, at least as good as the Ohlins I've used. The cartridges are also very good, but comp valving is a bit stiff for our rough roads. It's tolerable, and would be great on decent roads.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Thank you for the input. Our roads are meh in South Carolina. Can they tune the cartridge kits to not be as harsh I suppose? What did the upgrade feel like compared to stock? I bet its way better and like riding a speed triple rs or something in terms of road feel. I'm super excited to bring this bike to the next level..

the shop I'm dealing with "Fast Bike Industries" in north carolina has a good reputation and he said Nitron is really good.

Member #
    Yes the cartridges are compression and rebound adjustable for a much better feel and ride !
    King-Of-Bee's

Member #
    I have a Nitron rear and stiffer springs in the front. Better than stock and budget friendly.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolephant View Post

You have to understand what you're paying for when it comes to a new suspension. Is it worth it to get a completely new shock? Or just to have the stock suspension properly sprung to your weight. I can tell you right now you're not going to get a thing out of base-model name-brand shocks other than better valving and maybe more adjustment range. Again, I'm referring to these base model shocks you're looking at vs. something like a DDS or TTX. You gotta ask yourself how much better is the valving? It might be a ton better... but that might be placebo and in part due to a proper spring rate. IMO, I would have the rear shock re-sprung to your weight and then definitely go with cartridges. The damping on the forks is just awful. If the rear shock can't be tuned to provide decent ride frequency even after the right spring then for sure upgrade. I think the valving on the rear shock is good for me (hard street but no track riding) but that's only with stiff 85-95 Nm springs.

I would say K-tech and Ohlins are so neck-and-neck in terms of perf. just go with whatever is cheapest. Nitron is usually pretty pricey but I think Nitron is #1 in quality. If you hold and Ohlins in 1 hand and a Nitron in the other you'll be shocked to think, based on feel & appearances, the Nitron is a better shock. They have REALLY nice build quality and I'm sure they can be just as good as Ohlins once properly tuned. They're really popular in the EU where they're founded and that's kind of their downfall here in the states because they don't have too many US dealers and therefore knowledge of the systems is limited when you go to have them rebuilt. I'm sure they're not super trivial but there's a good chance that some of their parts that need replacing are geometry-specific and might require special order (which could take weeks to get).

Someone else mentioned the Stoltec Moto kit; that's also a really budget friendly kit to improve the stock forks without going crazy. It's going to provide a little bit better damping but get you properly sprung which is most important. Stoltec also offers GP Suspension cartridge kits. From what I hear, those are AMAZING kits for the price. I considered getting them for my track-only sportbike but they remove the nitrogen charged part of the fork that makes it so great (not a concern here in the FZ department). Ended up going with an Andreani kit instead so I can vouch their stuff is great. I would say just get the Andreani kit!
    Last edited by ddipaola; 12-03-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links