How to upgrade forks on a budget - guidance needed - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

How to upgrade forks on a budget - guidance needed

This is a discussion on How to upgrade forks on a budget - guidance needed within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Originally Posted by Crossbar1773 My 2 cents - I'd take Matt up on his offer. I have the intermediate setup and its "WAY BETTER" than ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How to upgrade forks on a budget - guidance needed

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar1773 View Post
    My 2 cents - I'd take Matt up on his offer. I have the intermediate setup and its "WAY BETTER" than stock. Matt is good to work with - He will set you up right, however you choose to do so.
    I also have the intermediate option and can confirm its WAY better than stock. Not only is all of the harshness of the stock for gone over the high speed impacts (seriously, the difference here blew me away) but brake dive is hugely reduced and the front of the bike now feels completely planted in the corners. This makes the bike hold a line much better which inspires a lot more confidence and allows you to pick your lines more accurately as you're not concentrating so hard on just trying to keep the bike on the road

I'm not sure how much better if at all any of the other options I was looking at might have been but they were all 3 times the price so for what I paid I'm a very happy customer !
    Crossbar1773 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepArmourMT09 View Post
    I'm not sure how much better if at all any of the other options I was looking at might have been but they were all 3 times the price so for what I paid I'm a very happy customer !
    I have to agree - Matt's intermediate setup is half the cost of the Andreani fork cartridges with fix. The majority of the other aftermarket front fort cartridges are 3 to 4 times more expensive than the intermediate option. Never had other aftermarket fork setups on the FZ, but i am a happy camper with Matt's setup for sure.

You are right deeparmour, the harshness of the stock is gone over high speed impacts, my other favorite part of the setup is how the rebound adjustment is corrected in the intermediate setup. You can really feel the rebound difference due to drilling the rebound orifice to 2 mm from 1.5 (OEM).

How to upgrade forks on a budget - guidance needed-20170923_105300.jpg

Cant speak for the stoltec rebuild, others are happy with that as well.
    Last edited by Crossbar1773; 10-05-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    2015 FZ-09 - current bike
    2013 KLR 650 - Sold
    1978 KZ 400 - Purple Rain - Sold
    2010 Hyosung gt250 - Sold
    And many off road bikes and 4 wheelers in earlier years

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar1773 View Post
    I have to agree - Matt's intermediate setup is half the cost of the Andreani fork cartridges with fix. The majority of the other aftermarket front fort cartridges are 3 to 4 times more expensive than the intermediate option. Never had other aftermarket fork setups on the FZ, but i am a happy camper with Matt's setup for sure.

You are right deeparmour, the harshness of the stock is gone over high speed impacts, my other favorite part of the setup is how the rebound adjustment is corrected in the intermediate setup. You can really feel the rebound difference due to drilling the rebound orifice to 2 mm from 1.5 (OEM).

Cant speak for the stoltec rebuild, others are happy with that as well.
    The compression adjustment also has a surprisingly wide range I found. All the way out is extremely plush and soaks up everything like a bike with way more travel (a little disconnected feeling I found as it was soaking things up so well you don't really get any feedback from the front) but winding it in all the way slows the fork down so much brake dive basically disappears all together and I was only using less than half the travel even riding some pretty rough roads. Even with it set full slow it was still much less harsh than stock on the high speed impacts. I'm currently running it one turn out from full slow (full range is 3 turns) and it's a good balance between front end feedback / feel and comfort
    Crossbar1773 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pattonme View Post
    I'll be happy to send you the valve assemblies and parts to get to 'Intermediate'. Postage is about $17. You should be able to find a domestic source for springs. Sending PM.
    I'm also interested in your 'Intermediate' package. Could you drop me a PM with costs for the valve assemblies and postage to the
    UK

Member #
    Hi everyone,

For what it is worth I was looking at doing the full Nitron cartridge kit when my local shop suggested the best value would be to resprings/ and change the valving. I went with 14+ FZ-09/FJ-09/XSR900 GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit Nick (Stoltecmoto), was very good to work with and arrange shipping to Canada. The one thing I found was that the springs may be on the stiffer side, this was improved by working with my local shop and doing some geometry changes. The reason for the springs perhaps being a little bit too hard is maybe the changes I have made to the bike which reduce the wait. The improvement is ridiculous the preciseness and consistency of steering the feedback and the way it manages bumps is awesome it gives you so much confidence. That being said you don't feel that you're pushing the bike to the limits or on the edge of the abilities of the suspension therefore a little bit of the fun is taken out of it, and you will find yourself running through corners faster than before with the ease. As for just getting your springs done you will see an vast improvement and increase your safety tremendously. I would consider getting the valving, either from Nick or GP Suspension specifically because they have included a feature that seriously improves high-speed compression, when you're riding on less-than-perfect roads this feature makes it more comfortable/safer.

motooctane.com

Member #
    Hi all, Im aware this is a much talked about subject. Does anyone have the fork shim stack configuration for the later model double active forks. I have a 2015 single active fork and been given another active internal to upgrade.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ienujeis View Post
    Hi all, Im aware this is a much talked about subject. Does anyone have the fork shim stack configuration for the later model double active forks. I have a 2015 single active fork and been given another active internal to upgrade.
    I recall 7 shims in the stack, but don't quote me on that. removed a few from both forks when my rebuild was done. first set of forks I used Sonic springs from Stoltec and on the second set don't remember, it's been a few years...
    P6040059.JPG
    P6040063.JPG

Member #
    Many thanks
    thrstrmech likes this.

Member #
    Hi,

The photos you posted are for compression, do you have the rebound stack you built.

Thanks

Member #
    I did front K-Tech cartridges, springs and seals and K-Tech rear shock with reservoir on my 2017 FJ 09. It's pretty amazing. There is way back road about 2 miles length and non stop frost heaves on the complete length. I can now scream my bike down this road and it's perfectly comfortable. Around turns it runs on rails.

I'm not sure but I thought I read that the 2017 were better than the older models. I got the oem stuff if anyone is interested. I bought the bike in November as a leftover and did the forks in February so the was less than 1000 miles on them. I'm not making any claims as to the accuracy of the newer suspension being different or superior to the old but I'm sure people on here know the answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links