Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Having Trouble tightening up my clutch cable

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kkilmore89 
#1 ·
So I installed my mad hornets clutch and brake levers last night, love the look of them on the bike in gold but I am having trouble making it spring back. When I pull the clutch lever it just kinda slowly goes back part of the way and doesn't go the whole way back until I press it back. For some reason when I let it go it doesn't just spring back easily. Am I missing something obvious? Any tips? I tightened up the tight adjustment almost all the way out and still loose...

#2 ·
i actually experienced the same thing with installing my pazzo shorty levers last night. I adjusted the clutch cable so that the amount of free play was about the width of my yamaha key (i read this is a good gauge of eyeing clutch free play) but unlike the stock lever that sprung back - this does not.

The clutch full disengages and i've had no issues shifting but that area of free play is visible without any pressure on the lever..

#3 ·
The clutch cable can be adjusted at both ends. If you run out of adjustment on the handle bars or want to change where that adjuster is in it's range you can adjust it at the engine end.

If you already have the top adjuster all the way out from the lever turn it back in half way first, then adjust the engine end.

The bottom end of the cable is on the right hand side behind the cylinders. Loosen the nuts, adjust, tighten the nuts.

(No I didn't take that cable off just to photograph it lol.)

#4 ·
Yeah, same here.

Adjust the bottom cable (like bob said) and check those nuts!

I noticed mine got loose once or twice after making the adjustment.

#5 ·
i can't speak to the OP but for mine (and it sounds like we have the same potential issue) - there is enough slack in the cable (i can fit my key into the free play gap), however where as before the stock lever would spring back all the way - with the new lever (mine are pazzo's) it doesnt spring all the way back. The area of free play is more or less "exposed" for lack of a better term - i can take a picture of it later.

#6 ·
If your clutch was working properly before you installed the new levers, I would say that you have a tightness issue with the new levers....not the clutch cable itself. Did you have to force the new lever into position? Did put the bushing from the original clutch lever into the new clutch lever? Did you overtighten the bolt/nut when you installed?

Reactions: beck and v2Bob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.