Power Commander V
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Power Commander V

This is a discussion on Power Commander V within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I am about to pick up a lightly used PCV tomorrow for a good enough deal that it rivals a re-flash. I'm going to be ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gsatterw
  • 1 Post By blkbrd
  • 2 Post By motomania

Thread: Power Commander V

Member #

Power Commander V

I am about to pick up a lightly used PCV tomorrow for a good enough deal that it rivals a re-flash. I'm going to be buying an Akra Carbon over the winter, but I'm reading on the forums that a PCV is not necessarily the best way to go, but not many answers say why. Power Commanders are supposed to be more versatile from what I've learned in general, but is this not the case for the FZ?

Any insight into this? I just want what's best for my ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶̶ bike.
    Current: 2014 FZ-09, 2003 SV-1000S, 2005 ZX-6R (project)

Past: 2007 ZX-6R, 2000 SV-650S

Member #
    Power commander does not fix on/off fueling. Doesn't remove speed limiter, can't disable AIS system, can't apply different throttle maps, can't adjust timing. A good flash is far superior.
    Desert Rat likes this.

Member #
    ... and needs lambda disconnected...

Inviato dal mio NX508J utilizzando Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I have a PCV on mine. I'm happy with it. It may not fix the on/off fueling like a flash would, but it improves it alot. The O2 optimizer that comes with the PCV also greatly improves the light throttle cruising behavior. I may flash mine one day, just to see, but the power commander did make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    myntz likes this.
    2015 Matte Grey FZ-09 --- Oxford Heated Grips --- Spiegler S/S Brake lines --- OES Frame Sliders --- OES Front Axle Sliders --- GYTR Rad Guard --- GYTR Windscreen --- Racetech Gold Valves --- Racetech Fork Springs --- ZX6R Rear Shock --- Rizoma Action LED Turn Signals --- Tripage Gold LED Headlamp --- E-Bay Pazzo Knockoff Levers --- Termignoni Carbon Exhaust --- Power Commander 5 --- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator --- Ivan's ECU Flash --- Shad Comfort Seat -- GYTR Quick Shifter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by blkbrd View Post
    I have a PCV on mine. I'm happy with it. It may not fix the on/off fueling like a flash would, but it improves it alot. The O2 optimizer that comes with the PCV also greatly improves the light throttle cruising behavior. I may flash mine one day, just to see, but the power commander did make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    IMHO - for day to day cruising and commuting, I found that the PCV was much better at handling light throttle/cruising than my current flash from a popular vendor.

I was running M4 exhaust + blockoff plates + PCV + Kevxtx O2 controller.

This setup along with my custom tweaked map had the bike running better at low RPM than post-flash but had a sudden onset of power 4500+ when the bike kicked out of closed fueling.

Member #
    As a street rider, should the PCV + Akra Carbon do the job? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any money.... I'm getting the stock ECU reflash from Yamaha soon since I have a '14. It's manageable now, so it can only be better after the flash.
    Current: 2014 FZ-09, 2003 SV-1000S, 2005 ZX-6R (project)

Past: 2007 ZX-6R, 2000 SV-650S

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Max View Post
    As a street rider, should the PCV + Akra Carbon do the job? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any money.... I'm getting the stock ECU reflash from Yamaha soon since I have a '14. It's manageable now, so it can only be better after the flash.
    1) the 2014 reflash from the factory was not much help. It helped, just not much so don't expect much from it.
    2) PC has a lot of reliability issues mostly related to cheesy, incompetent, amateur installation practices such as using scotchlocks and/or wirenuts and/or improperly crimped splices to tap into the stock wiring and other issues. I have untangled that mess a few times and helped several people troubleshoot their bikes when something went nuts with the piggyback fuel controller (PC and Bazzaz). If you buy the plug in type harness makes a T connection to the ECU the connections are much more reliable.
    3) The PC can only modify the input signals and output signals from the ECU. It cannot fix the actual problem of the fuel cut and related issues.

The PC is great for some situations such as where you cannot reflash the ECU but for the most part, it is way past passe, old tech. The one exception is when you want to be able to fiddle with your mapping yourself. Not too many people really use that capability.

Otherwise, a reflash is much better use of your money and is less prone to failure.
    Desert Rat and myntz like this.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Sponsored Links