Speedo replacement? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Speedo replacement?

This is a discussion on Speedo replacement? within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; so there is some communication going on between the cluster and ecu, this is true...but the FZ-09 does not have traction control (US models), so ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedo replacement?

Member #
    so there is some communication going on between the cluster and ecu, this is true...but the FZ-09 does not have traction control (US models), so it won't be looking for a signal for that since it's not coded in the ecu's logic to complete the loop. simply leaving that pin location vacant will not harm the system when swapping from the FZ-09 to the XSR-900 speedo.

Member #
    Not sure how far any of you have dug through the other sites, but I stopped looking after 20 or so failed sites and just had Tripage do some LED work. I might install the centering bracket from Stoltec, but not 100% about that just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speedo replacement?-img_20151110_164117.jpg  
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Member #
    I saw that on his site, the issue is the speedo itself, shape and location. I created my own bracket that centers and lowers the speedo leaving enough room to fiddle with the key in and out of the ignition. the 09's speedo has a unique shape which I like, it's the ignition switch location that sucks balls!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I have to completely agree with that. Ignition relocation. Project for Stoltec? Hint, hint.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Member #
    old thread update...so I've revisited this idea again to find that the KOSO speedo can be installed on the fz. first had to figure out if the bike ran a CANBUS set up, which it does not...will run without the speedo connected. second, figure out the connector pin out and that of the speedo. third compare to what the KOSO speedo needs for display. check, check, and check...now to wait on Santa to deliver the speedo
    the female connector on the bike is a JAE MX34 series, specifically P/N: MX34024SF1 and the male on the speedo is P/N: MX34024UF1, but is PCB mounted connector. will have to solder the KOSO wires onto it to make it plug n' play.

Member #
    another update on this, received the connector and terminals and got to it. since the male connector already comes populated, had to figure out how to make the terminals work on the back side which normally would be attached to a PCB (printed circuit board). straighten out one pin in the connector and cut the tip off of a terminal, but had to bend the lock inside the terminal down to allow the pin from the connector to fit. and the result, it fits perfectly and snug. once the wires have been crimped, heat shrink will cover the entire terminal to prevent contact between any of the terminals. bought four of the connectors and two strips of terminals for the "ah shit" moment(s)...
    Name:  20181222_151701.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  38.8 KB

Member #
    so, Santa did not leave me the said speedo...no worries, will continue the research on the speedo side as I've found that info is shared between the speedo and ecu. however the bike does not require it to be connected to start (not a CAN Bus) system. still looking for someone who has a damaged unit to chase the said connections to make this work properly.

Member #
    Hi thrstrmech....did you ever make any headway with this? I love my XSR900 but my biggest pet peeve with it is the stock gauge. I would love a KOSO like gauge with an analog tach needle. Wish there was a plug & play option from Koso or the like. If you figure this out you will have a line of people queuing up at your garage door
    1977 Yamaha RD400
    1988 Yamaha FZR400
    2016 Yamaha XSR900 (60th Ann.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links