Exhaust leak sc project
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Exhaust leak sc project

This is a discussion on Exhaust leak sc project within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Hello. I installed an sc project full exhaust on my 2017 fz 09 and I can’t seem to get a proper seal around the headers. ...

Thread: Exhaust leak sc project

Member #

Exhaust leak sc project

Hello. I installed an sc project full exhaust on my 2017 fz 09 and I can’t seem to get a proper seal around the headers. I ordered new copper seals and installed them. It helped quite a bit however there is still a minor leak. Any suggestions?

Member #
    why do you want to know. I'm not sure I trust you with that information.
    This is just a drunkards advice, but I'd loosen all the bolts and shake everything down side to side and retighten things a little at a time across the headers
    2019 Tracer 900GT
    2016 Kawasaki 140L
    2015 Yamaha FZ07
    2013 Honda CRF100 tarded for track use

Member #
    Mine had a leak at the #1 cylinder ..removed everything behind the collector and having all the pipes in the collector and loosing the flanges at the exhaust head..do not remove them and make sure all pipes are slid in as far as they can go then re tighten the flanges add just a bit more torque like 2lb. to the nuts so the gaskets seal again no need to get new ones... the SC does not have a flange on the pipes at the head side ..so the trick is to keep the flanges a bit loose then shove the pipes in...I did have to use a dremmel with a sand paper disc to clean up some ridges on the pipe and flange to get them to go in all the way ,Just make sure the flange you match with the pipe for a good fit once you do this stay with that pipe/flange don't mix them up... worked for me now I have zero popping noise on decel .....
    King-Of-Bee's

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by abe57 View Post
    Mine had a leak at the #1 cylinder ..removed everything behind the collector and having all the pipes in the collector and loosing the flanges at the exhaust head..do not remove them and make sure all pipes are slid in as far as they can go then re tighten the flanges add just a bit more torque like 2lb. to the nuts so the gaskets seal again no need to get new ones... the SC does not have a flange on the pipes at the head side ..so the trick is to keep the flanges a bit loose then shove the pipes in...I did have to use a dremmel with a sand paper disc to clean up some ridges on the pipe and flange to get them to go in all the way ,Just make sure the flange you match with the pipe for a good fit once you do this stay with that pipe/flange don't mix them up... worked for me now I have zero popping noise on decel .....
    Thanks for the advise. I’ll try to loosen everything and try to get a seal without taking it apart. But, If I do have to take it all apart to sand down the flanges will I need new seals?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Barberino View Post
    Thanks for the advise. I’ll try to loosen everything and try to get a seal without taking it apart. But, If I do have to take it all apart to sand down the flanges will I need new seals?
    I did not the flanges bolt straight up to the cylinder head all I did was turn the bolts in about 1/4 turn more than the torque specs. And mine does not leak at all.... You can also when the flanges are off the bike push the pipes in and mark it in some way " painters tape,marker "so you know you have the pipe all the way into the flange..
    Last edited by abe57; Today at 04:22 AM.
    King-Of-Bee's

Sponsored Links