Good riding pants? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Good riding pants?

This is a discussion on Good riding pants? within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Originally Posted by 2thdr 57 yo here. The photos looks like a super low rise/short crotch and no ass...like skinny jeans. Maybe I'm just not ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good riding pants?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
    57 yo here. The photos looks like a super low rise/short crotch and no ass...like skinny jeans. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right. Anyway placed an order for some Knox Richmond in a 34 and 36 waist (all are 33 long). I'll report back on fit, etc. I'm short and have gotten fat. 5'7" 175-180 lbs depending on the day, just went up to 35-36" waist jeans.
    I forgot about something...oops

I did have to get them hemmed since I'm no giant either. I brought them in to be done professionally.
    First place I brought them didn't want to touch them when I told them about the liner...LOL
    Current ride: '15 Silver FZ09
    Past rides: '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80

Member #
    I have Bull-it brand SR 6 riding jeans. They have tons of coverage, with protection pockets for knees and hip pads. They can bee a bit warm n super hot days but are pretty damn comfortable.
    2016 FZ09
    Armor grey/hi viz
    Graves FE
    Tripage flush out LEDs fronts
    Custom LED taillight with switch and sequencer
    Evotech radiator guard
    Chinese shorty levers
    Chinese steering damper (on top)
    USB mod
    TST rear stealth plate light
    Forks by Matt
    Stoltec Penske 8900E
    Ivan's flash
    Termignoni stainless headers and Carbon can
    USB mod
    Horn relocated
    Opt7 led headlight bulb
    LED Aux lights (amber)

Member #
    I've been wanting some better protection ever since I got the FZ. For a while I thought I wanted draggin jeans long johns so I could wear any old jeans over them. But considering the price I wanted to try them on before I buy, but they have practically zero retail support. I think there is a shop in LA that sells them. But nothing up here in the Sacramento area, as far as I recall. So I've been putting of purchasing them for a long time. I've also had some ScorpionExo Covert Pro Jeans on my amazon wish list for over 2 years. And here again I just cant get myself to pull the trigger. The Scorpion's seem to have better kevlar coverage than most of the other offerings.
    FYI, I also own a pair of Cycle Gear iron worker jeans. They have kevlar woven into the denim so they are a bit more breathable than the ones with a kevlar liner (because of the two layers). However the woven material isn't going to be as abrasion resistant. I don't wear these on the street bike anymore. Mostly wear them for dirt bike riding in the summer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yeah, I can't get myself to buy a pair of riding jeans that have the kevlar liner. That second layer is just too hot and bulky for my taste. I'm pretty comfortable with my Dainese jeans that have the kevlar woven into the denim, but I'm really skeptical of anything from the Cycle Gear knock off brands... I can't really speak to their quality, I just don't like the idea of supporting knock offs.

Those Klim K52s though... Those I'm really curious about.

Member #
    I got the Klim K Fifty 2 jeans in the other day. Unfortunately I threw my back out over the weekend, so I have not been able to mess with them much. I tried the jeans on briefly and I thought they were very baggy for a "straight leg" jean. My wife actually laughed at how they looked. IMO they are heavier than snow pants and even baggier. As far as build and quality they appear to be very good. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I will definitely be returning them to try something else.

I will need to try the Joe Rocket Phoenix ION pants on again, but initial thought was I feel the same about them, very thick and cumbersome.

I used to have a Dainese leather pants/jacket suit and it was not thick and baggy. Maybe I am just expecting to much from textile and Kevlar jeans? I would go with leather pants again, but I just think they are over-kill for the riding I do now. Not dragging my knees anymore, so don't really need the sliders and don't want to look like a poser. ;-)

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Sarg33; 04-10-2019 at 06:46 AM.
    Current Bike: 2019 MT09 Team Yamaha Blue

Member #
    Hood jeans, out of UK, are fully Kevlar lined with CE level 2 armor. Not Skinny Jeans...They fit kinda high-waisted, and not tight on the legs, but they “disappear” while riding, which tells me they are designed right. I wear my Gaerne GP1 boots under them and the cuff at the hem does not bind or ride up. Awesome family-run small company with stellar service. I got my jeans three days after placing the order! I’m short with a 28 inch inseam, and they had a size to fit on the shelf.
    2thdr likes this.
    Live every day like it’s your last.

Member #
    I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix ION Pants and love them. Great for hot weather. I bought some CE-2 pads for the knees from revzilla. A upgrade from the CE-1 obviously. Still considering doing to hip pads.

Member #
    Well I received the two pair of Knox Richmond jeans I ordered and both are going back. 34" is too tight and the 36" are too loose and baggy and the armor pockets are non-adjustable. 33" inseam could be hemmed of course, but the armor pockets are way too low for my short legs. These would be good for a six footer. They appear very well made, come with CE level 1 hip and knee armor that is non-bulky, with completely full Kevlar lining except for last 3" of leg and it's flannel-like comfy. Too bad I'm such a squaty body.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes: 2015 V-Strom 1000 ADV, 2017 FZ-09 Candy Red, 2014 CRF250L
    Past bikes: 2004 VFR800, 2006 ST1300, 1993 CBR600 F2 (track), 2011 CB1000R, 2013 700GS, 2008 DR650, 2007 VFR800, 2014 Husqvarna TE310R

Member #
    My dealer is going to start carrying Rev'it products, so I'm waiting for them to bring their first order into stock.

I'm looking at the Philly 2 jeans for daily wear, and either the Airwave 2 or Tornado 2 for longer rides. (If anyone has experience with any of these, let me know).

I'm 6', 200-something, with a 32" inseam, and large in the leg, so the Philly jeans sound like my cut ("loose" fit). So we'll see...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    I use the Dainese Drake Super Air Tex Pants and really like them so far but have only ridden in them a handful of times but very comfortable if you get the right size. I had to send back the first pair and order next size up but the exchange was really easy with revzilla.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links