Trailer hitch options - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Trailer hitch options

This is a discussion on Trailer hitch options within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I wonder if Marquez could still win the title pulling one of those? Originally Posted by Paul G The 09 luggage mount points would be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Trailer hitch options

Member #
    I wonder if Marquez could still win the title pulling one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    The 09 luggage mount points would be excellent and easy to mount a hitch to.See how I have used them for this custom GIVI frame I made.

Attachment 13486Attachment 13487

A Unigo trailer would be ideal Texas Motorcycle Trailers Plus
    ridetofish likes this.

Member #
    Holy crap! I need a drink. Serious.

Senior Member Harry S Lanechange's Avatar
    Member #
    Seriously the FZ09 is a lite weight bike with suspension and brakes that are pretty easy to find the limits of. It's also short and can get twitchy. It's not a safe platform for hauling a trailer. Think tail wagging the dog.

Just because you CAN hook a race horse to a plow doesn't make it a good idea.
    Soylent Green is People

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    FedEx the stuff you want to carry to your destination and forget the trailer.

Seriously.

There are devices for people who have the chronic desire to put trailers on motorcycles to carry more stuff than they actually need - these devices are call "cars".

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry S Lanechange View Post
    Seriously the FZ09 is a lite weight bike with suspension and brakes that are pretty easy to find the limits of. It's also short and can get twitchy. It's not a safe platform for hauling a trailer. Think tail wagging the dog.

Just because you CAN hook a race horse to a plow doesn't make it a good idea.
    I agree.

If you want to haul more stuff than will fit on the bike, maybe the FZ09 is not the right bike for you. Maybe you a big touring bike or adventure bike would be a better, SAFER fit for your intended use.

Member #
    River,

I admire your adventurous spirit, but Have you priced any of those trailers? I bet for what you spend buying a trailer and setting it up, you could buy a 10 year old sport touring bike that you could pile as much gear into it as you wanted (and it would probably be more comfortable going cross country than an 09). I picked up a '04 aprilia futura last year for $3,250, i can load up the bags and topcase with enough clothes and camping gear for two weeks and the thing still carves corners and pulls wheelies (118 hp at the crank). make sure you pick the right tool for the job.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by daufcguy View Post
    River,

I admire your adventurous spirit, but Have you priced any of those trailers? I bet for what you spend buying a trailer and setting it up, you could buy a 10 year old sport touring bike that you could pile as much gear into it as you wanted (and it would probably be more comfortable going cross country than an 09). I picked up a '04 aprilia futura last year for $3,250, i can load up the bags and topcase with enough clothes and camping gear for two weeks and the thing still carves corners and pulls wheelies (118 hp at the crank). make sure you pick the right tool for the job.
    I have been seriously considering trading in my FZ for a used Super Tenere. I love my FZ but for my size, the type of riding I want to do & the cheaper insurance the super tenere is the right tool for the job. My problem is as soon as I ride my FZ I change my mind and have to keep it. Ideally I would own both but cant swing that right now.

Member #
    Cb024,
    Believe me, if I could have both an fz09 and a super10, I would. My problem is I can never settle on one bike and I do a lot of different types of riding, im of the mentality that its better to have three $5000 bikes than one $15,000 bike. Does that mean that I'm never gonna own a super10? Not if I can help it! Im just going to wait a few years and buy it cash when these new 2014 models get down to around $7 or $8 grand.

Getting back to this trailer discussion, the guy who owns sharkskinz did a 6 month long tour of the u.s. and canada on his super10, he covered the whole story in his blog, its a fascinating read if your into that sort of thing, I will try to track down the link if I can. because of how long his trip was, he built a trailer hitch and pulled a harley style touring trailer with his s10, he even outfitted it with special wheels and bearings to deal with rough terrain. Now, this is a 1200 cc liquid cooled monster of a machine built for touring and rough terrain, and you know what the guy says everytime he removes the trailer "i cant believe how much faster and better this thing performs with out the rig on back", this is a bike that guys ride to the arctic circle and back with zero problems, and this guy is saying that adding the trailer on dogs the thing to the point that its worth comment every time he removes it, what would a similar set up do a 900 triple?

Keep your sport bike for sporting, if you want to haul a bunch of gear, you dont have to buy a truck, just buy a ural!
    CB024 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by daufcguy View Post
    River,

I have a dog that as a pup rode with me on my sv. he is now too big to rig up a box on the pillion seat. also have a second dog that loves rides in 4 wheelers, but doesn't enjoy the bike leaning. a small utility trailer with a dog create bolted to it and some form of a cage around it just incase.......this bike makes more than enough torque to do so.

Trailer hitch options-slash-doggles.jpg

in short because this little guy (who loves to ride and gets excited every time I start my bike) is now 4' long and 65lbs

Trailer hitch options-slash-tennis-ball.jpg
    Last edited by River; 11-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the roads from me.
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back
    Burn the land and boil the sea, You can't take the roads from me.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the fz09 / mt09? I used the search feature but got endless responces about towing the bike not the bike towing a trailer
    Just consider buying a Miata.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links