Engine Light Came On (XSR)
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Engine Light Came On (XSR) within the XSR900 Common Problems/Issues forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; I went camping this weekend and took the bike. The ride out was totally uneventful and awesome! I got to the site, parked the bike, ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Engine Light Came On (XSR)

Member #

I went camping this weekend and took the bike. The ride out was totally uneventful and awesome! I got to the site, parked the bike, set up camp and had a great time.

The next morning, the bike would not start! Cranked it 3 or 4 times, just turned over and over and over, but would not fire. I finally turned the ignition off, waited a couple seconds, turned it back on, waiting till the fuel system stopped charging (whatever that noise is), and then tried cranking it again. The bike fired up. The only issue is the check engine light is now on.

I really had no choice but to ride the 130 miles back home with it like that, so I checked all the fluid levels (they were perfect), I checked the electrical under the seat (as best I could) as I had been using a cigarette lighter adapter pluged into the SAE battery tender cable. Everything looked perfect and the bike ran perfect the entire way home.

My only thought is that I had parked the bike on an incline (pointed uphill) overnight. I searched the forums (and internet), but really couldn't find anything other than some people with the CA catch box getting vapor locked. I'm in TX, so I don't think that was my issue and I didn't read where anyone had a CEL afterwards.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow when they open (they're closed Sun and Mon) and setting up a time to get it in. But, I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas (XSR or otherwise).

Member #
    if the xsr had a diagnosis mode, this would be easy, but instead you have to pay a stealer to hook up their tool
    so you are sol

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ForumSensei View Post
    if the xsr had a diagnosis mode, this would be easy, but instead you have to pay a stealer to hook up their tool
    so you are sol
    Ya, I read that thread. Good thing it's a new bike. Shouldn't have to pay a thing. All I did was park it and try to start it up the next day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Keep us informed of what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Ouch, I've been there for the last few weeks with this bike. I urge you to follow up with Yamaha Headquarters in CA to file a complaint like I did. This is unacceptable IMO. The check engine light can come on for something as simple as putting the kick stand down while in gear too many times. Having no way to clear that or even know what it is, is in a sense a safety issue. Running the risk of driving a motorcycle with a mechanical error for 20+ miles just to get the check engine light code read could cause more damage to the bike.

Also I find it extremely interesting that we have essentially the exact same problem. I drove my bike to a restaurant, went in ate, came back out & the bike wouldn't start. The bike was about 150 degrees so it wasn't cold and it was an 80 degree sunny day outside. Multiple attempts to turn over the engine turned on the check engine light with a "stall error". Please post back your findings after going to the dealership.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kneepuck View Post
    Keep us informed of what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by extra_throttle View Post
    Ouch, I've been there for the last few weeks with this bike. I urge you to follow up with Yamaha Headquarters in CA to file a complaint like I did. This is unacceptable IMO. The check engine light can come on for something as simple as putting the kick stand down while in gear too many times. Having no way to clear that or even know what it is, is in a sense a safety issue. Running the risk of driving a motorcycle with a mechanical error for 20+ miles just to get the check engine light code read could cause more damage to the bike.

Also I find it extremely interesting that we have essentially the exact same problem. I drove my bike to a restaurant, went in ate, came back out & the bike wouldn't start. The bike was about 150 degrees so it wasn't cold and it was an 80 degree sunny day outside. Multiple attempts to turn over the engine turned on the check engine light with a "stall error". Please post back your findings after going to the dealership.
    Definitely will let y'all know what they find.

I wonder if it's something that simple/stupid. I don't know how many times I've accidentally tried to start this bike while in gear with the kickstand down. I never did that with my FJ-09.

Member #
    The engine light came on for me, because I put the kick stand down while in gear. I'm told there's no way to clear the alert except to take it to the dealer.

Now, a service guy at the dealer told me that there's no real engine problem if the light _doesn't_ flash. There's only an engine issue when the light flashes. Don't know if it's true. Anyone hear that too?

Member #
    Sensai is full of chit.. This will certianly be a warranty issue. Good luck

Member #
    It was probably nothing more than battery voltage error due to cranking too long.

Is damned annoying that it can't be read or cleared without the dealer tool!
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Member #
    I picked up my new bike on Saturday, got 1k down the road, engine light. I parked straight up and after a quick read of the manual decided to call the dealer who promptly picked me up. Turned out to be faulty connection on the ABS sensor on the front wheel. Sensor cleaned, reinstalled and no problems since. Hopefully just a blip.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links