New Home - Garage Design Thoughts
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on New Home - Garage Design Thoughts within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Later this month, my wife and I will move to our new home in Georgia. The home does not have a garage, and I am ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New Home - Garage Design Thoughts

Member #

Later this month, my wife and I will move to our new home in Georgia. The home does not have a garage, and I am interested in having a detached garage constructed. The garage doesn't need to be complete by the move in date, but completion may possibly happen. The builder's initial thought is an area of 24 square feet, truly a square of 24' x 24', but other thoughts are welcome.

My question is what to include in the design, more specifically features that would be expensive alterations if done afterward. For example, do you recommend one large garage door or two smaller garage doors, and why? Electricity will be included, but with the garage a 15 second walk to the house, I am leaning against plumbing.

I will greatly appreciate your thoughts, ideas and explanations.
    Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'

Member #
    A fellow riding buddy in Australia has a few of these:
    with the bikes stashed in custom made 'Bike Wardrobes' in his garage.
    Huge open area when stored, and easy to get them in and out for rides.
    Something different :-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfbatt View Post
    A fellow riding buddy in Australia has a few of these:
    with the bikes stashed in custom made 'Bike Wardrobes' in his garage.
    Huge open area when stored, and easy to get them in and out for rides.
    Something different :-)
    Even better are the Paddock stands, you can remove wheels while using them. I love mine for easily moving the bike around the garage.
    Nerfbatt likes this.
    -Akra full exhaust
    -Vcyclenut flash
    -Graves block off plates
    -billet rear sets
    -billet rear reservoir
    -Evotech rad guard
    -Antigravity battery
    -Rizoma bars
    -Gilles adjustable risers
    -LED front signals
    -Motodynamic sequential rear light
    -Yoshi fender eliminator
    -Evotech pillion removal kit
    -Driven Racing Halo gas cap
    -Luimoto seat cover
    -Spiegler front and rear braided brake lines
    -KT Moto HID headlight with Halo.
    -K Tech Razor R shock and Racetech gold fork valve

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Someone once told me, you can never have too much garage space. I added a detached garage that's 24x30. I did 30' to fit an 18' boat, outboard and trailer which ends up being 25' long. You may not have a boat now, but that could change. It's not huge, but I'm happy with the 30' depth. Funny, I passed on rain gutters and added them myself the end of the first year. They are a must have. The epoxy floor is a nice feature that I don't have and wish I did. Minimally, have your cement slab sealed and reseal at least every two years. Overhead lighting is huge. I have 8 recessed overhead spot lights with bright white LED bulbs. After dark with them turned on is like bright sunlight. Way better than standard fluorescents. If you do get fluorescent style, go with the LEDs. You can always add them later, but pre-wired on a switch would be ideal. Windows are nice, but with good overhead lighting, you don't need them. Not having windows is more private and secure. One more feature that I don't have but wish I did is a floor drain. If you work under your cars, a walk-in pit in one of the stalls would be a huge luxury.

To answer your question on doors, one large door is better than two small ones. It's way more flexible with any sized vehicle going in and out. Also, my garage has a side service door, but I never use it. If I did it over, the service door would not be included.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 05-02-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    Camp49 likes this.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    So many variables! You have to think about how much time you're going to spend in there. Are you working in there, or just parking stuff? Will you want a bike lift? (REALLY nice to have if you do your own work) But 24' won't give you room for parking two cars if you have a lift. Will you be doing any welding, because wiring for 220v would be ideal. Air conditioning is nice if it's a true workshop (in Georgia!). As mentioned, LED lighting is fantastic. Don't underestimate the value of a hand-washing sink right there in the garage. How much room will you need for storage? (Vertical space can really boost storage capacity for not much more money...) Do you have an HOA to deal with? A million other questions...

If you haven't already, check out the forum at www.garagejournal.com There are tons of threads there about every garage-related thing you could ever think of...
    Tigershark likes this.
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Lighting is very important
    We have one large tilt door (double garage)
    Roller door at back to take trailers, bobcats etc through to the garden.
    Our garage is deep enough to hav e my bike trailer attached to the car, bonus
    Hang stuff up (push bikes etc)
    I’m firm on “no house junk”
    Only cars, bikes, tools, surf boards & more tools allowed.

Member #
    why do you want to know. I'm not sure I trust you with that information.
    Put in plumbing, at least a shop sink, and I would add a urinal, but if the sink is set low enough the urinal is unnecesarry. It's nice to be able to wash the grease and mess off before going to the house or cleaning off parts and tools. Having a place to pee is nice if the neighbors are too close for using outside.
    Last edited by Harry Balzak; 05-03-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    shamrock likes this.
    2019 Tracer 900GT
    2016 Kawasaki 140L
    2015 Yamaha FZ07
    2013 Honda CRF100 tarded for track use

Member #
    as a do it yourselfer I prefer to fix my own crap. I would say make sure your ceiling may be tall enough for a smaller car lift so you can lift to do exhausts and stuff...thats me....but my 3 car garage is built with engineered trusses and not super tall ... look into modifying one bay and it almost eaiser to just tear roof off and built a new one!!

Just food for thought if your younger and do you own stuff...Ive had to put in some exhausts specifically and boy it would been nice to the damn thing higer off the ground to do it!!!!!

but again...thats me.

only other thing but no alot is maybe a seperate little utility room for a compressor. my 160 gallon compressor can be a bit loud and I will it was in a seperate room with good ventalation vs next to my workbench!!

good luck
    2016 Raven FZ09
    2009 Yellow FZ6R
    1986 Honda Rebel

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Balzak View Post
    Put in plumbing, at least a shop sink, and I would add a urinal, but if the sink is set low enough the urinal is unnecesarry. It's nice to be able to wash the grease and mess off before going to the house or cleaning off parts and tools. Having a place to pee is nice if the neighbors are too close for using outside.
    Good advice Harry.
    My shop has two places!
    After years and years of my wife bitchin about my peeing outside it finally stopped the first time four guys came over to change some tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "There is a grey blur and a green blur so I try to stay on the grey one"-------Joey Dunlop

Member #
    Funnily enough, I'm just going through a garage cull in preparation for our move. But we didn't have a choice of garage layout in the current house or the new one. Just a standard 6m x 6m double.
    I can get both cars and the bike in OK. But I'm thinking wall hung cupboards for tools, chemicals, assorted other crap, in the new place to free up floor space.
    If money was no object I'd have a high stud garage with a car hoist and bike lift installed.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast