Documenting the progression of my "new" 2014 FZ build
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Documenting the progression of my "new" 2014 FZ build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; So I'm using this thread partly just to document the progression of my bike over time but also to share my build with those of ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GeneralLed
  • 2 Post By GeneralLed
  • 1 Post By GeneralLed
  • 1 Post By GeneralLed

Thread: Documenting the progression of my "new" 2014 FZ build

Member #

So I'm using this thread partly just to document the progression of my bike over time but also to share my build with those of you. It's starting off slow since I just dumped most of the money I've been saving for the bike into purchasing of the bike itself. But come late August, early September, I plan to dump a chunk of change into really making this bike my own. While the Bike did come mostly stock the previous owner did change the stock license plate bracket for a tail tidy, installed a Powerbronze windscreen, and even changed out the stock foam in the seat for what I think is more of a gel foam or memory foam. With that though, I do see a Corbin seat in my future since I do plan on doing a 2-3,000 mile road trip down to Key West next summer.
    Last edited by GeneralLed; 07-07-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Member #
    The same night I purchased the bike, I decided to get some shorty levers. All my previous bikes have had shorties and it threw me quite off using the stock levers. I thought about going with a more name brand lever like CRG, ASV, Puig, etc. but I wasn't really feeling like throwing $150+ on levers, so, I decided to try out some MZS levers I purchased on amazon for ~$40. So far they seem to be performing well, I might upgrade to better ones in the future just to have the name brand, but, that's a future decision for a future me.
    Link to levers: https://amzn.to/2xyQAD1
    Last edited by GeneralLed; 07-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    PaulNYC likes this.

Member #
    Decided that a little protection would be wise so I picked up some Womet-Tech frame sliders that I purchased from TST Industries. In the process I picked up some new front blinkers to replace the stock pumpkins. I haven't replaced the rear indicators yet since I plan to get an integrated tail light. I didn't get a great picture of the sliders on the bike but you can still get an idea of the protection they offer from the picture showing off the turn signal.
    Link to sliders: https://bit.ly/2LFFswj
    Link to indicators: https://bit.ly/2Xz0Ien

PaulNYC and thrstrmech like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    So the previous owner, an older gentleman, put foam grips on the bike that, at the time I didn't realize, slide over the original grips. So, what would any sensible person do? Buy new grips of course. While I did realize the the foam grips could just be taken off to reveal the original grip only a day after I ordered new grips, I'm still glad I got new ones. While the factory grips aren't bad, they're made more for lifetime rather than "stickiness". I purchased a set of Pro Grip 699 sport bike grips from Revzilla. Just to note, with stock bars and bar-ends I did have to cut the throttle side grip a few millimeters since the new grips are longer than stock and the bar end was causing the throttle to stick.
    Link to grips: https://bit.ly/2FZuhL0

thrstrmech likes this.

Member #
    I plan to wrap the whole bike eventually but I wanted to start small just to get an idea of how to manipulate the material. Well, I'd give my self a solid C. I wrapped the faux air intakes in carbon fiber and from a distance it looks good but up close if you're looking for it, you can notice how bad it is. I'm going to leave it as is for now but I'm definitely redoing them in the future when I wrap the whole bike. I bought other sample colors since I'm still trying to decide what color to wrap the bike but I think carbon fiber is a more difficult material to work with compared to 3M's normal 1080 colors.
    Link to wrap vinyl: https://bit.ly/2xOK4b2

chemita likes this.

Member #
    Replaced the air filter today, so I decided to do the air box mod in preparation for the ECU to be tuned. Good thing I decided to change out the filter though, apparently the previous owner used a K&N but didn't even oil it. The air box looked pretty clean so I'm not too concerned but I'm glad I caught it. Also, spent 3.5 hours detailing the bike, not a mod but I believe how a rider maintains the bike says a lot about the rider themself.

Sponsored Links