Jon's Mild Turbo Build
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Jon's Mild Turbo Build

This is a discussion on Jon's Mild Turbo Build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I just finished a turbo FZ-09 build, but can't post the pictures that document everything. It may be because my I-phone 8 camera has too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jon's Mild Turbo Build

Member #

Jon's Mild Turbo Build

I just finished a turbo FZ-09 build, but can't post the pictures that document everything. It may be because my I-phone 8 camera has too much resolution. After uploading, a message appears saying a 2.4 M byte picture exceeds the 97.7 K byte limit for the forum. Not sure how to get around this limit, but would like to share my experiences. The intent of this build was to see if a GT-15 sized turbo rated at a relatively mild 150 hp could be front mounted. It took 30 days of work and $800 for the turbo, header, intercooler, oil lines, Dobeck fuel controller and ancillaries. All components weigh in at 15.6 lbs. which is about a pound lighter than the stock exhaust. Because this mass is centered up front, the bike turns/steers better and has a nice slimmer look on the right side without a regular exhaust system. The turbine exhaust consists of a 9" long 2" diameter stainless steel long radius elbow with an insert and fiberglass packing. It sounds exactly like my old Ixil full system at idle, but goes quiet at speed and only weighs 1.5 lbs. I modified the existing air box with a check valve that allows natural aspiration without boost but goes pressurized with boost. Because the relatively small turbo spins up quickly, I'm seeing boost build right off idle and it runs especially good up to 6000 rpm and about 5 psig of boost. I'm finding it a bit lacking at higher boost pressures and it may be because of the limited range of the stock air pressure sensor. When I fully open the throttle, it won't fully respond and it actually accelerates better at smaller throttle inputs. I'm thinking the butterfly valves don't fully open with sudden large inputs and higher boost pressures. Although a cable throttle wouldn't do this, the ECU is simply trying to figure things out from the data it gets. I'm in the process of sorting this out now.

Member #
    You can use Imgur to upload and then share the link.

Member #
    I dont know anything about turbos but from what ive read your probably running out of fuel the stock pump cant keep up
    Last edited by Cw09; 01-18-2018 at 10:10 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I'd say you're running out of fuel too, keep a very close eye on your AFRs or you'll be up for a new engine. The extreme creations kit runs a walbro in tank pump more appropriately sized for a car, along with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure proportional to boost pressure. What are you using to control fueling? I've got a power commander 5 with activetune kit that was running my extreme creations kit for sale if you're interested

I'd love to feel how it rides with the GT15 as the GT2530 I'm running is a little laggy (to keep it off boost when you're cruising on the highway)

Once you sort your fueling you should be safe to up the boost some more. 5 pounds is fun but it really comes alive above about 7, and with 10 when the boost comes in even at 60mph it feels like you're gonna loop it

Member #
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm very aware of the AFR, EGT and detonation limits. The compressor map for GT15 turbos requires higher boost pressures in order to deliver enough air volume to achieve 150 hp. You can still get enough air for maximum hp at lower pressures, however, it pushes the operating line (which would be an operating point if it were not also influenced by turbine speed) towards the region of inefficiency. Even at maximum efficiency (which is only 76% anyway) a lot of rotational energy gets converted to heat. Most people think intercoolers are needed only because of the heat of compression, however, heat of inefficiency is also very important. Fortunately, FZ-09's come from the factory with airbox temperature indication accessible from the speedo unit so it can be monitored and those temperatures show I have excess intercooler area. I'm actually going to try going in the opposite direction and deliver more air at lower boost by decreasing the pressure drop in the intercooler and see what that does. It may be small turbo's simply need more engineering, but the benefits are obvious.

This whole project started as a dare one night with a buddy of mine. He actually put it in writing that if I could build a turbo for an FZ-09 for under $3000 that he would pay for it. By doing all the design and welding myself, the total cost came to only $794.06 for materials and I'm very happy with it now. The hardest decision was whether to take a perfectly good running FZ-09 and potentially screw it up, so I made everything completely reversible. Now I'm just having fun with it.
    Morten likes this.

Member #
    I hope you can figure out how to post pics this is an interesting project !

Member #
    ANy turbo setup on a bike shouldn't be called mild =P
    Dainese Stripes EVO tobacco jacket for sale!! See classifieds ad. Brand new and perfect match for the XSR900!!

WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/HALOHALOS for FZ09/XSR900 diy related vids (with a dash of drone, tech gear) on the side

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cw09 View Post
    I hope you can figure out how to post pics this is an interesting project !
    https://www.fz09.org/forum/8-fz-09-pi...ng-photos.html

Member #
    How are you seeing IAT's on the cluster? Mine only shows ambient temp.
    14 FZ-09 turbo
    07 GSXR 750 turbo [email protected]
    220 whp

Member #
    On page 4-9 of the owner's manual it states," The air intake temperature may vary from the ambient temperature". I assume that's because the sensor is located inside the airbox.

It may be that someone on the forum, who knows how to do it, could take one or several of my pictures and post them up. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll scan them back to you.

Meanwhile, I found out why the bike wouldn't run cleanly at higher boost pressures. It was being fed too much fuel by the Dobeck controller which I had programed for additional fuel. The first clue was how much extra gasoline I was going through during the testing. The instruments showed about the same mpg's as before the project, but it dawned on me that the ECU calculations used for figuring mpg are based on the calculated injector signal. By "piggy-backing" this with a modified Dobeck signal, the actual injector duration will be completely different. So I gradually started leaning out the acceleration and full throttle settings which progressively made it run better until I got down to the stock settings. Probably wasted money on the Dobeck, but better to be safe than sorry. It now runs right up to full throttle cleanly and 15 psig of boost. With this small turbo, a waste gate is... a waste, so I took it off and saved 0.6 lbs. of weight too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links