Seat
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Seat

This is a discussion on Seat within the XSR900 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Has anyone come up with an easy way of leveling off their XSR stock seat, or making it more comfortable? *ALSO - would anyone be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Seat

Member #

Seat

Has anyone come up with an easy way of leveling off their XSR stock seat, or making it more comfortable?

*ALSO - would anyone be interested in trading an all black stock seat for a black and maroon stock? I've got the brushed silver model (which I love) I'm just not super hip on the seat color or comfort.

Member #
    What do you mean leveling off the seat?

I shaved off my seat to lower it but stupid me put a gel insert which raised it back up lol.

Member #
    I assume they mean the fact that it slides you forward. It does for me anyway. I had the seat shaved to get me a bit lower, but really could use another attempt to stop me from sliding forward, too. Shaving the seat may be your answer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Instead of messing with the seat, ever think about getting really good tank pads for grip? That is if your ok with the seat other than the slide forward, this could be a cheaper and easier option.

Just a thought i am pondering. I like the Techspec gripsters myself.
    2015 FZ-09 - Puig screen, APE CCT, Vcyclenut Flash, Termi Exhaust, T-rex engine and axle sliders, TST lights all around - etc.....

Member #
    I did it (shaving and adding gel pad) and new upholstery with great results. Note the height loss it is not dramatic but better...

Enviado desde mi FRD-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Member #
    Thanks so much for the input here. I will look into the shaving and adding gel pad option. I don't have a problem with the height of the seat, it's just that slight slant in toward the tank drives me crazy on longer rides. I'm constantly re-adjusting myself and pulling my pants out of my crotch from sliding in on the tank all day.

Honestly, the lines on the xsr700 are so much better, or at least more to my personal preference. However nothing can really beat this triple engine. I'd love to stick the triple 900 engine in that frame - then we'd have a bike!

I actually had a 2014 Fz-09 and that stock seat was AWFUL! So, I ordered the stock MT-09 Street Tracer seat from Europe and it made that thing a completely different bike - I LOVED it. I will never understand why they didn't just put that seat on all of them from the beginning? Now I'm actually really missing that seat. Although, this xsr stock is leaps and bounds better than that one. In a perfect world Yamaha would make their shit with a few more options for people - either that or just figure out how to make a proper comfortable seat in the first place and put it on the bike from the start. It should not be an aftermarket thing.
    Last edited by njon; 01-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Member #
    It must be a personal comfort thing. I have four bikes in the stable, and have comfy and crap seat experience on bikes in my past. I find this seat to be reasonably comfortable and I don't get that sliding forward feeling. Maybe bagging out Yamaha is not the answer. We're all different is the reality. Find what works for you, but Yamaha is not the enemy. My opinion only, so whatever.
    buecyb3r likes this.
    1983 CB1100F
    1985 RZ350
    2007 CB1300S
    2016 XSR900 - Garage Metal plus custom vinyl on tank. Right side engine cover jettisoned. So far, so good!

Member #
    Sorry, I'm honestly not trying to bag out Yamaha. This is my second Yamaha now and my second stock seat 'issue' or gripe - that's all. I've had several bikes over the years and haven't really had this issue with any of them? So, for me it is kinda Yamaha specific - but its the exact same sub frame so... yes, it's just personal preference at the end of the day. Do I love the bike? YES. Would I design and put a better seat on it? Yes.
    dorset xsr rider likes this.

Member #
    njon, no apologies necessary.

I love this bike too, but I've experienced the same thing. I remember one ride I did with friends, about 200 miles, and I was adjusting myself and attempting to pull my shorts out of my crotch ever 5 minutes. Was quite painful at times.

That's the only time I've had that bad of an issue in the 4000 miles I've ridden my bike, but the seat does slide me forward and it can get uncomfortable sometimes.

In in the process of planning a 3,000ish mile round trip from TX to VA in June (if I don't ride my bicycle) and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do something about leveling the seat.

Member #
    Lowering my rear suspension made a world of difference for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links