Factory chain lube
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Factory chain lube

This is a discussion on Factory chain lube within the XSR900 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Anyone know what the factory uses for chain lube? It is some type of black grease that stains. I was going to put on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Factory chain lube

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #

Factory chain lube

Anyone know what the factory uses for chain lube? It is some type of black grease that stains. I was going to put on the typical 'stuff' and was thinking whatever they used lasts a long time.

Member #
    Use whatever chain lube you believe works and use it properly.

Beyond those two points, it does not matter what chain lube you use.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    One question first, have you lubed your chain yet? or is it still the chain lube that was on the chain when you got your bike?

I ask because the original chain lube is actually the chain lube that comes with the chain. The stuff that comes with most new chains is extremely thick and sticky stuff. If it is black, it is because the factory chain lube, being so sticky, is bad for attracting dirt and dust. Which is why I wouldn't recommend using a chain lube that attracts dirt.

The best thing to do is thoroughly clean the chain and get that factory chain lube off the chain. If you don't, it will keep attracting dirt until it is all gone. Then start using something like Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube, I find this stuff works great and doesn't make a mess. Some people prefer using chain wax style chain lubes, that all comes down to personal preference. It kind of depends how dry and dusty it is, or hot and hummid it is where you ride. If you ride a lot in the rain, then an auto chain lube system might be best.

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube - RevZilla
    Desert Rat likes this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    With an O ring chain.. When you are oiling it, all you are really doing is lubricating the sprockets as the chain is lubed internally
    Desert Rat likes this.
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Member #
    I don't know what the OEM uses but this is my suggestion.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFZU25S/

The chain cleaner is really good at removing oil and oil residue.
    The penetrating lube will lube up your o-rings.
    The chain wax will lube everything else.

Member #
    Fyi - best and cheapest way too clean your chain is to use kerosene and a grunge brush. I don't mean to tell you something you might already know, just trying to help.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_MTN_FZ09 View Post
    One question first, have you lubed your chain yet? or is it still the chain lube that was on the chain when you got your bike?
    Ding, ding......winner - 450 miles now.

On all my off-road bikes I use wax. I don't ride my street bikes in the rain or on gravel roads. The last three street bikes I have always lubed with WD. Just my personal choice, not standing on a soapbox or anything. It's like part of the whole experience for me. Ride the bejesus out of her, bring her in the garage and wipe her down, inspect the bike and lube the chain. Except, this one is different. Each time I look at the chain I'm not seeing any dirt, and wiping a finger on the rollers still brings sticky black grease that doesn't feel gritty.

I ordered spools yesterday and am still crunching on what rear stand to buy. I have helped a couple of buddies change their chain. The new chains came sealed in a baggie with what looked like tacky white grease. It would really be interesting to see them assembling the new bikes on their assembly lines.....

Member #
    WD40 stands for water displacement, 40th attempt. It's not a lube. There is a whole backstory where people used to steal it home from NASA. Not sure how true it is though. It's great at cleaning chains, but some people think it prematurely kills the o-rings. Anyway, kerosene and whatever chain lube that fits your need works wonders. I tried teflon based chain saver stuff. All gone after 10-20 miles in the rain. I just stick to the sticky stuff (motorex white lube), let it set, and wipe off the excess afterwards. If you're on a trip and got no time to let it set, just go eat something instead. The castrol one is ok too, but if you hit some rain, it's gone in a jiffy.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Here is a good video on WD-40 and O-Ring motorcycle chains.

Here is one example of someone who uses WD-40 to lube his chain. One thing to note is that he cleans his chain often and makes sure it is adjusted properly all the time.

On the dirt bikes I use to use Maxima Chain Wax and it worked great, but found it made a mess on my street bikes. Which is why I switched over to Bel-Ray Super Clean. It is dry and dusty here most of the time, and I found the Wax chain lubes turned black right away from all the dust.

If you ride a lot in the rain, I'd suggest checking out and auto oiler like a Scottoiler or TUTORO Automatic Motorcycle Chain Oiler. They are standard on a lot of bikes in the UK, for guys who ride rain or shine.
    Last edited by Rocky_MTN_FZ09; 01-02-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    Rinterstate likes this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    WD40 lubes and removes lube at the same time? I think it's ok at door hinges and light stuff, but even then i'd prefer sewing machine oil and other thin oils. I'd never use WD40 as a lubricant on something that gets exposed to 115hp. If you want simple chain lube, just use transmission oil (80w/90 or something). My friends africa twin has been lubed at regular intervals exclusively with transmission oil with that and have changed exactly 1 chain. The kicker? He has driven around the odometer. The bad part? It flings, and it takes a load of time to apply since he's adding a drop to each end of each link, once or twice a day of riding.

Maybe my joints might benefit from WD40 though? Can WD-40 cure arthritis? Wacky home remedies put to the test by panel of doctors in new TV show Health Freaks ... with surprising results | Daily Mail Online
    meinschaft likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links