Factory chain lube - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Factory chain lube

This is a discussion on Factory chain lube within the XSR900 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Originally Posted by Crosshairs With an O ring chain.. When you are oiling it, all you are really doing is lubricating the sprockets as the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Factory chain lube

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshairs View Post
    With an O ring chain.. When you are oiling it, all you are really doing is lubricating the sprockets as the chain is lubed internally
    True, but it's also lubricating in inside of the center rollers also which IMO is important to keep a chain in good shape. Keeping lube on the rollers and sprocket teeth cuts down wear quite a bit. I see guys who never lube their chain because they say it's "lubed internally", and the chain rollers look like chrome from all the wear.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiesel View Post
    Ding, ding......winner - 450 miles now.
    The factory chain lube lasted 550 miles on my XSR. I cleaned it with kerosene and lubed it with Maxima chain wax at 550 miles, and that lube lasted to 1000 miles. I've used Maxima chain wax for years on all my chain driven bikes and never had any real mess or dirt attraction and it typically lasts 450~500 miles between lubes.
    Last edited by XSR-900; 01-03-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    The chain that came with my bike is a D.I.D. 525 V10. So I look them up online and go through their info. Under Chain Maintenance, I found it quite funny that D.I.D. says not to use kerosene to clean the chain..... I emailed them what kind of lube they send their chains out with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiesel View Post
    The chain that came with my bike is a D.I.D. 525 V10. So I look them up online and go through their info. Under Chain Maintenance, I found it quite funny that D.I.D. says not to use kerosene to clean the chain..... I emailed them what kind of lube they send their chains out with.
    Yamaha owner's manual & service manual says to use kerosene. In fact, about every cycle manufacture I've seen recommends using kerosene to clean o-ring chains.

Did you ask DID what they recommend to clean their chains with?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by XSR-900 View Post
    Yamaha owner's manual & service manual says to use kerosene. In fact, about every cycle manufacture I've seen recommends using kerosene to clean o-ring chains.

Did you ask DID what they recommend to clean their chains with?
    According to the video on their website: D.I.D Motorcycle Chains and DirtStar® Rims
    They recommend DID Chain Cleaner which they are happy to sell to you at 10-20x the cost of kerosene.
    Desert Rat likes this.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    According to the video on their website: D.I.D Motorcycle Chains and DirtStar® Rims
    They recommend DID Chain Cleaner which they are happy to sell to you at 10-20x the cost of kerosene.
    LoL ... of course they want people to buy their expensive cleaner, which is probably kerosene based.

See the comment to the YouTube video ... it says: "At back side of DID box it stands for cleaning use the kerosene."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by XSR-900 View Post
    LoL ... of course they want people to buy their expensive cleaner, which is probably kerosene based.

See the comment to the YouTube video ... it says: "At back side of DID box it stands for cleaning use the kerosene."
    I have no doubt their cleaner is kerosene based or at least contains petrochemicals similar to kerosene.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    I have no doubt their cleaner is kerosene based or at least contains petrochemicals similar to kerosene.
    Ya I laughed pretty hard when I read that on their site. They show in a screen using D.I.D. spray lube on the chain. I couldn't find it in America. Saw it listed on a few over seas websites, but nothing showing the back of can or 'ingredients' or SDS.

Member #
    Buy a grunge brush to use with your kerosene. Makes it much easier.

Lube, I use yamalube, it works well and isn't to expensive
    2015 FZ-09 - current bike
    2013 KLR 650 - Sold
    1978 KZ 400 - Purple Rain - Sold
    2010 Hyosung gt250 - Sold
    And many off road bikes and 4 wheelers in earlier years

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    D.I.D. just replied:

Thank you for contacting D.I.D. It is just a sticky grease that is put in with each chain in Japan. Sorry, it is not available. I am not familiar with OEM chain, I deal with aftermarket so, if that is an o-ring/x-ring, use something that says it is safe for o-rings/x-rings such as PJ1 or Blue Rey. Otherwise use any kind of sticky grease. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

Have a nice day!

D.I.D USA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links