Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Standard operating temperature on hot days?

21K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Keef 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

Just curious about what temperature highs you see read out on the display, especially on hotter/less windy days. Trying to get a feel for what I should consider dangerous/too hot, mainly to sensibly set fan cutoff values in my ECU.

#2 ·
This is what I've noticed on my XSR.

When the bike is standing still, the radiator fan comes on when the coolant temperature readout on the instrument pod is showing 220 deg F, and then goes off when the coolant temperature cools down to 212 deg F.

While moving down the road with a light throttle load, the temperature readout is usually between 160 and 170 deg F. That is with air temperatures in the 75~80 deg F range.

Coolant temperature will rise pretty quickly in stop and go traffic, so the only time the radiator cooling fan should run is when the bike isn't moving much at all.

What kind of temperatures are you seeing and in what kind of riding conditions?

#3 ·
This is what I've noticed on my XSR.

When the bike is standing still, the radiator fan comes on when the coolant temperature readout on the instrument pod is showing 220 deg F, and then goes off when the coolant temperature readout cools down to 212 deg F.

While moving down the road with a light throttle load, the temperature readout is usually between 160 and 170 deg F. That is with air temperatures in the 75~80 deg F range.

Coolant temperature will rise pretty quickly in stop and go traffic, so the only time the radiator cooling fan should run is when the bike isn't moving much at all.

What kind of temperatures are you seeing and in what kind of riding conditions?
The highest I ever saw it was yesterday while idling at a light, at 230F. I shut the bike off for a moment until I could get going again.

#5 ·
If I'm in stop and go traffic (and it's not extremely cold outside) my fan will always come on. The fan temps seem to be on at 105C (221F) and off at 99C (194F).
When cruising on the highway it's usually between 60 and 80C (140 - 176 F)

#13 ·
At first my 2014 FZ was showing temps over 230. I removed and reinstalled the radiator cap, as I suspected a improperly tightened cap. There was also the faintest powdery white stain on the radiator near the cap. I haven't seen temps over 195 since.

#9 · (Edited)
If you flash your ecu, i would definitely use the lower fan temp. option.

In an engine it is good to have temps even on the top and bottom of engines. If the fan kicks on, do not turn off the engine. Let the fan and coolant do its job.

un-even heat is an engine killer, period

#10 ·
On stop and go traffic, I see 220 on the xsr (same for my old 08 cbr600 and '14 cbr1000). When it's cool and I'm cruising on the highway, I see 160-170 if I recall correctly

#11 ·
Regarding shutting off the engine briefly instead of letting it idle: If you leave the key on, the fan will run and the coolant will circulate as long as the temp is above where your fan is programmed to come on. I've noticed that when I'm idling, the temperature goes up, which is unsurprising, but it also goes up briefly when I shut the engine off but let the fan and water pump run.

I suspect that if you're just stopped at a light, it's probably best not to shut off the engine, but it may be better to do so if you would otherwise be idling for several minutes. But I'm certainly not an expert, so someone here may know better than I.

When I'm finished with the ride and shut the engine off, I always wait for the fan and water pump to stop running before I remove the key. On my previous bike (Kawasaki), the fan and pump would continue to run even after the key was removed, until the engine cooled sufficiently, so I didn't have to stand there and wait. I wish the FZ-09 did this.

#14 ·
Perhaps a silly question, but why all this concern about coolant temps, does the XSR have a history of over-heating?

Surely Yamaha is capable of designing and building a radiator-cooled motorcycle that can operate at elevated temperatures in stop and go traffic, they've been at it long enough. Granted it isn't as much fun to ride a moto in 100+* temps, but if a motorcycle can't take that, then there's a issue. If not, why worry?

#18 ·
Yet another reason to get a flash on your way. You can choose a lower fan temp range. Mine fan now kicks on at 195 and off at 185 instead of the oem temp. Range.

#19 ·
Yeah guys, don't worry too much about the temp...we are not riding air cooled bikes. And please do not shut off your engine while at a red light,
you should be in first gear ready to get out of the way of the idiot texting and that is about to rear-end you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.