Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Unhappy owner

14K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  ChuckP 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I bought my fz09 last april and I added a m4 exhaust as soon as I got the chance to do it. To fix the fire popping out of the exhaust, I did a block off plates modification and it worked out perfectly.

The bike was really aggressive and I was enjoying the ride. Therefore, Yamaha did a recall to fix the throttle issue and I though it was a great idea to just do it. Since I got back my bike from them, I find it has lost some lower end power. I can't even pop third gear wheelies anymore. To be honest, I am very disappointed and the reason I am posting this thread wondering if their is anything I can do to add some power to my bike? Is there any airbox modifications we can do? I CAN'T WAIT FOR PERFORMANCE PARTS. I might go buy a R1 if they don't start doing them.

Hopefully there is someone out there with great knowledge to help out a brother from another mother.

#5 ·
Send your ECU to Ivan...when you get it back you will fall in love with the bike all over again ..he is not the cheapest option, but you get what you pay for and then some .

Ivan's Performance Products

#15 ·
They lied. Smoother = less power-more drivability.

Reactions: Dpak
#10 ·
Agree with the above... Also I understand that Yamaha have removed some timing on the first few gears on the stock flash, so make sure your tuner knows you don't want that.

Dave at VCYCLENUT.com is a supporting vendor here so that's who I recommend, and that's who I have used to flash my ECU, and very happy with his service and response. I like supporting people who have a small business based on excellent support and delivering a great product for 1/3 the cost.

#11 ·
This is why I stayed away from the Yamaha flash.. I have also ridden an aftermarket flashed FZ 09 (not sure on who did the flash) but it felt like a dog compared to mine which is stock. Idk why.

#16 ·
I don't understand his pricing... I have looked at it numerous times. So what is my TOTAL for a no downtime flash?

#18 ·
All Yamaha did was changed the throttle rate (low end of it) but fueling remained the same. That should not have any effect per total power. But you need to twist more to get the same power compared to previous setting up to mid throttle. Upper mid & and high throttle positioning has not changed at all based on what was said..

#26 ·
So after coaching my soccer game and having a lot of fun yesterday, I came back home late to see all of your responses. PERFECT. THANK YOU. I will send a coupon and get my ECU flashed by IVAN.

Who in the hell told me my M4 exhaust is like a fart can? That m4 exhaust is quality. I have never seen an exhaust on a 4 stroke that looks like a two stroke.

I have found out that pretty much any exhaust that you add on the fz09, it will sound the same. I bought this motorcycle CASH so I didn't have much money after that and I needed LOUD. I have to drive with the silencer out of the M4 as it doesn't sound loud enough with the silencer in it. It feels like power robbing.

Other than the ECU tuned, anything else? did anyone change their gearing? I am about to buy a brand new front and read sprocket that includes a brand new chain.

#29 ·
I was wondering the same thing.... Thought the price went up to $200 also. Might be something I am missing though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 520FZ09
#30 ·
I think its $200 but with a coupon its $75....with $200 you get top speed limiter (off) and quick shifter (on) ....I was hesitant about getting mine flashed and bought a power commander....EVERYONE on here that had got Vcyclenuts tune and others stated how it was a waste so I sold it got his tune and never looked back....money well spent...Bike is so much more rideable now with it and kevs 02 eliminator...

#31 ·
So it costs me an extra 125 if I want the top speed limiter off? lol

#34 ·
So it's 275 total then.... ouch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.