Riding Experience Poll - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Riding Experience Poll

This is a discussion on Riding Experience Poll within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Make sure that if/when you make it over here, let me know in advance....I'd be happy to give you a guided tour of some of ...

View Poll Results: How long have you been riding?

Voters
679. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Year

55 8.10%
  • 1 - 2 Years

42 6.19%
  • 2 - 5 Years

99 14.58%
  • 5 - 10 Years

106 15.61%
  • 10 - 15 Years

83 12.22%
  • 15 - 25 Years

75 11.05%
  • 25 - 65 Years

218 32.11%
  • 65 + Years

1 0.15%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Riding Experience Poll

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    Make sure that if/when you make it over here, let me know in advance....I'd be happy to give you a guided tour of some of the great roads of E. TN
    4Nines likes this.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Member #
    Now if I could just get my R1 powered race car out there and an FZ-09 we'd be talking

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    That is awesome....I'd love to get behind the wheel of that and make a run through the gap

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Here's a tease

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    That is just too cool.....I like it!

Member #
    Yeah now I just need to figure out how to get it street legal

Member #
    do bmx and mountain bikes count? I just started really getting into motorcycles. picked up an 1982 honda cm450 and made it into a bobber/ street fighter bike. nothing legal about it but it was a blast. that is what drew me to this bike. has that street fighter look and it will be legal and faster. as for two wheels. Ive been riding bmx for 10 years. a few years spent at woodward camp and in the woods riding trails so i feel right at home on 2 wheels.

Member #
    I can tell you from experience that cycling does help with moto skills. Cycling skills helps with balance and lean angles. What you don't get from cycling is the specific hand eye coordination skills needed for braking, shifting and more importantly throttle control.
    If you can drive a car with manual transmission, then you can apply those same hand eye coordination skills to learning how to ride a motorcycle.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as kmonster. Been mtn biking and road cycling for years, but just started with motorcycles. If a car with manual transmission counts though, I've got about 120k miles under my belt in the last 4 years. When I took the MSF class I had no trouble whatsoever, it felt like second nature for all of it. My 2 biggest concerns for this new bike are 1) the weight - its going to be a bunch more than the 250cc from the class (not to mention my 22lb mtn bike!) and 2) everything else around me. Other cars, animals, bad road conditions and especially deer.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonstermash View Post
    do bmx and mountain bikes count? I just started really getting into motorcycles. picked up an 1982 honda cm450 and made it into a bobber/ street fighter bike. nothing legal about it but it was a blast. that is what drew me to this bike. has that street fighter look and it will be legal and faster. as for two wheels. Ive been riding bmx for 10 years. a few years spent at woodward camp and in the woods riding trails so i feel right at home on 2 wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccope View Post
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as kmonster. Been mtn biking and road cycling for years, but just started with motorcycles. If a car with manual transmission counts though, I've got about 120k miles under my belt in the last 4 years. When I took the MSF class I had no trouble whatsoever, it felt like second nature for all of it. My 2 biggest concerns for this new bike are 1) the weight - its going to be a bunch more than the 250cc from the class (not to mention my 22lb mtn bike!) and 2) everything else around me. Other cars, animals, bad road conditions and especially deer.
    Welcome to the site guys! Nice to have some other mtn bikers on the site! I used to BMX when I was a kid, and just got back on two wheels sans motor with a Cannondale for the single tracks here in central TX. Where are you guys located? ccope, you mentioned deer. Leads me to think you are in a mountainous area.

For the weight, I would not worry about it too much. Manufacturers go through a lot to make sure the bikes are balanced. Obviously I have not ridden one just yet, but I imagine it is going to wear it's weight well. All of the mass in down low, between the wheels, not much up top. You will just have to be careful your first couple hundred miles on the thing, but you will get a feel for it pretty quickly. Carrying some skills over from cycling, you will take to it like a fish to water.

The second concern is really the one that is all on you. There are innumerable obstacles and hazards out there for a motorbike rider. No one can make you safe, but you. That is the beauty of motorcycling for me. It is constant attention that you have to pay the bike, and the roads. You cannot let yourself do anything else while you are on the bike. As soon as you become complacent and stop paying attention, someone will merge into your lane without noticing you at all, and it is up to you to be in a situation where you can escape. If you are somewhere else in your mind, and cannot react soon enough, that is on you. The car will have a dented fender, and you will have a dented body. On a bike you have to be alert all the time, and unfortunately, assume that every car is going to merge into you, pull out in front of you, and act accordingly.

I don't mean to be a downer at all, because it is totally worth it! A bike on a beautiful day is just about as good as it gets.
    Janx101 and KoolAid like this.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links