Progressive International Motorcycle Show
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Progressive International Motorcycle Show within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; After taking 5 years off I decided to visit the Progressive International Motorcycle Show this past Saturday in Columbus and have to say it was ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tvsorgatz
  • 1 Post By Quasi
  • 2 Post By ridetofish

Thread: Progressive International Motorcycle Show

Member #

After taking 5 years off I decided to visit the Progressive International Motorcycle Show this past Saturday in Columbus and have to say it was really disappointing. It seems like major vendors didn't show up, just a bunch of junk vendors selling magic magnetic bracelets and anti fog spray. I didn't see Joe Rocket, Icon, Ural...and so many other. Just wondering if anyone else felt that the shows quality is starting to suffer
    Quasi likes this.

Member #
    I felt the same way about my local motorcycle show this year. I spent more time fending off people trying to demo there products to me then I did looking at bikes. I don't care how good you wax is, F off I'm not interested. They used to sell a lot of last years gear at closeout rates as well, now you barely see anything except maybe from one vendor. I'm not really a fan of the direction the show has been moving probably won't be back for a while.
    Tvsorgatz likes this.

Member #
    I'll probably write a brief review early next week after the Timonium (north of Baltimore, Maryland) Motorcycle Show this weekend.

Another thread has information on this weekend's show:
    2015 Timonium (Maryland) Motorcycle Show

The shows seemed pretty good the last two years, but two shows isn't that much to go on.

A picture from the 2014 show...

2014 FZ-09, 2009 Suzuki TU250X, 2008 Yamaha CP250X
    2004 Honda CRF150F (3 of them!), 2005 Honda CRF100F

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    The show skipped Atlanta this year. No great loss, but really...I probably would have gone just to see old friends.
    I too got tired of hucksters hounding me to buy some crappy shield cleaner or wasting time to get an insurance quote.
    Some manufacturers didn't even show up, which is really sad. The last one I attended had multi-championship winner,
    Scott Russell up on stage speaking to an audience of perhaps 30 people. The best thing I got out of my $12 that year was
    getting fitted for a helmet and learning I was always buying the wrong size. Well, that's not really the best thing I got out of
    my attendance. I did sit on an FZ09, which led to...you know what.
    Tvsorgatz and Steve101 like this.

Member #
    this was the first year i went to a motorcycle show like that. I thought the one in NYC was pretty good and the layout was nice - all the bikes were on one side - the vendors and places where people were trying to sell you things were in the complete opposite direction. You could walk through the whole show and not see one vendor if you didnt want.

As far as bike availability - i recall most of the main brands there - a bit lacking on the euro contingent but Ducati, Triumph and BMW showed up.

I cant base my experience on past bike shows but i thought this one had good coverage of the new bikes ive been reading about over the past few months. Ural was at the NYC show but just had 1 bike (i really dont think their footprint in the states would warrant them showing off too many of their bikes here - they're just not popular) - Royal Enfield was even there which was surprising.

To that point - the US bike market is a fraction of what it is in europe - which is why they get all the good shows - if the demand was here in the states - they would have more models and better shows - but it's simply not. That's just my theory though.

2014 FZ09 sold
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R aPRC

Instagram: @Moto_Beck

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    The last one I went to was in 2007 and I thought it was pretty bad then. I can't imagine how crappy they are now.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvsorgatz View Post
    After taking 5 years off I decided to visit the Progressive International Motorcycle Show this past Saturday in Columbus and have to say it was really disappointing. It seems like major vendors didn't show up, just a bunch of junk vendors selling magic magnetic bracelets and anti fog spray. I didn't see Joe Rocket, Icon, Ural...and so many other. Just wondering if anyone else felt that the shows quality is starting to suffer
    Do you mean Cleveland? I was there on Saturday as well. Never been to any kind of bike show before so I enjoyed it. I had no idea how big the IX Center in Cleveland was. Didn't buy anything, just went for the eye candy. The stunt show was..."interesting". I did get video of both riders dropping their bikes at the same time which was kind of funny. I would definitely go back again.
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Rapid Red

Member #
    The Dallas show was better than it has been in the last few years. Where the manufacturers were bringing out last year bikes to the show. We were also having it in November then also. I was impressed this year it seems to be making a come back or turn around. Kevin Schwantz was at the Dallas show.

KTM was their and they've been out the last few years.

I wonder if it will ever recover to what it use to be in the mid 2000's. I can remember Aprilia & Ural being there in 2007. Buell use to always have a huge booth. It use to be a real event they would even have demo rides.

Member #
    I was at the Cleveland show 3pm Friday, right when it opens. That way I can walk around and see things before the big fat Harley guys show up. It's been like this the past few years. Apparel is limited to helmets and jackets. I need new pants & boots but was out of luck, no one had anything. I saw the bikes what I wanted to see - The new Yamaha R1 with it's funky tail section & LED headlights; the new Kawasaki H2; Aprilia is never there and I didn't see the new street legal Honda RC213V. But they did have Marc Marquez' bike there for pictures:

Name:  IMS2015.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  63.7 KB

Member #
    Prg15e

This discount code gets you $5 off the ticket price.

Sponsored Links