FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I was at my dealer today asking about my bike on order (dealer name withheld). No news, but he did say there was graphite one ...

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

Member #

I was at my dealer today asking about my bike on order (dealer name withheld). No news, but he did say there was graphite one in back with 73 miles on it and that it was totaled out. They did not sell the bike originally but got it for the insurance adjustor to review. Seems the owner finished his motorcycle course and wanted his first bike. After looking and asking about different bikes he settled on just weighing what he got for his money (which apparently was his selection criteria) so he got the Fz-09. As the story goes he fell over at 3 miles on the odometer and scratched one side (not real details). Then at 73 miles did not negotiate a turn and hit the curb and flipped (only details I got). Anyway, shop might buy salvage and fix forks as they now make a clicking sound.

The owner clearly embarrassed did not hang around when bike was hauled in (as I was told). I got no pictures just the story from the dealer. It has been said before on this forum that the FZ-09 is not a beginners bike. This example demonstrates that to be true. We both agreed this newbee is very lucky he has all his body parts and he had more money than brains.

so my opinion is this. Never ridden but passed the courses. Get a used Rebel 250, Ninja 250 or comparable small bike (under 40HP) and after 3000 miles with no wrecks step up if motorcycling is for you.
    v2Bob, chris1261, nickv09 and 12 others like this.
    Bill
    Current Bikes: 2014 FZ-09, 89 Honda Hawk GT, Prior Rides: 86 SRX600, 77 RD400, 2014 CTX700N, 88 Super Magna, 79 CB650, 04 VFR800, 88 Hawk GT, 89 Hawk GT, RD400, 1979 750sx triple, SRX600 thumper, 1200C, 883R, Savage 650, VlX600, Nighthawk 450, cb400, CB550F, H1 500, R69US, R5C, Cb160, HD 250 Sprint, 1950 PanHead with sidecar, 1941 Knucklehead 74 (my first bike).

Member #
    Wow. If the owner is only embarrassed, he is fortunate indeed. Each rider is a bit different and I have owned an FZ-09 for just over 24 hours after riding maxi-scooters and 250cc motorcycles for five years. Perhaps I could have handled a motorcycle with the FZ-09's power with less than five years of experience, but certainly not upon completion of the basic course. You're right, and I wouldn't recommend an FZ-09 to any beginner.
    nickv09 likes this.

Member #
    Guy gives a bad name to beginners. Sounds like the didn't know what the f$@& he was doing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    2014 FZ-09 LG #10 - Special thanks to Marthy, Stoltec Moto, AHR, and DangerousDan

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    while that is a compelling story, and it's a warning to folks like me, the logical conclusion is NOT that Beginner + FZ-09 = crash. Sounds like an overconfident idiot to me. He probably didn't even know about the different modes on the bike. Not all beginners are the same.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eolith View Post
    while that is a compelling story, and it's a warning to folks like me, the logical conclusion is NOT that Beginner + FZ-09 = crash. Sounds like an overconfident idiot to me. He probably didn't even know about the different modes on the bike. Not all beginners are the same.
    Not entirely true, an inexperienced or under-confident rider can also get into trouble with an aggressive bike.
    Kyler likes this.

Member #
    well, of course. The point is that's it's not guaranteed. There are far more factors than just "beginner"

Member #
    Before you finish saying "um" you can be saying "oh s***!".
    deadduck357, Adjuster and JohnnyC4 like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by v2Bob View Post
    Before you finish saying "um" you can be saying "oh s***!".
    Exactly.

Member #
    Mode A is not forgiving of poor throttle / clutch work for many, not just beginners. Mode B is a state of ignorant bliss lol

I was nailing it off a light last week was somewhere mid 3rd gear when the most minute clutch ride/release lofted the front WAY UP. If that happens to a beginner and they panic, wonk the bars and snap the throttle shut (as seems to happen unless you have the rear brake covered) then there will be scratches, expensive ones.

Can't make my mind up on this, on the one hand the bike is so dam easy to ride with the confidence inspiring body position and tame throttle mode B - on the other hand press the wrong button or get too happy too fast and you are eating dirt. That said when the fireblade first came out I had no clue how to ride it, didn't stop me :-)
    Like my 09 :-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eolith View Post
    I agree.... Sounds to me that the end result would have been the same, regardless of what he chose for his first motorcycle?
    Desert Rat and Gabefzr6 like this.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links