FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

This is a discussion on FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Is it odd that the R6 was the bike I felt most comfortable on? Only was on one for a couple of weeks but I ...

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

Member #
    Is it odd that the R6 was the bike I felt most comfortable on? Only was on one for a couple of weeks but I felt really comfortable on it and it never got away from me. Felt least comfortable on a v star 650.

Way too cautious on the FZ 1 to really get myself in trouble. I'll probably be the same on the 9 for a while.

Member #
    Everyone has a different learning curve but for most people I think the 09 should be a second or third street bike at the earliest.

Yes take the MSF course but it's only the beginning of your riding education.
    eolith likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1261 View Post
    take my WR 250. once rolling, you can whack the throttle open as hard as you want in any gear and it won't buck you off. Try that in 1st or 2nd on the FZ and you'll end up on your head.
    You're so correct. My daughter learned to ride on a Suzuki TU250X, which I enjoy riding as well. Despite its relatively low power output, the TU is an unexpectedly gratifying ride since the rider can hold the throttle wide open in many situations without concern for loss of control.
    v2Bob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I came out with minor muscle pain so nothing that won't heal up. Sorry to say the bike didn't do so well. Where I went down it was a minor corner and at low speed but the throttle wasn't reacting the way I thought it should so I think in that instance it would have helped me get control again. All it's going to take is some experience and practice and so I'm better at reacting to different situations.

Member #
    No worries eolith. That's why I got on here. I felt I should clarify what happened in my instance instead of getting bashed for being a noob, which I am but learning. Unfortunately I don't think the bike is going to recover as well as I am. I would still buy it again and not feel uncomfortable on it because I wasn't and had a lot of fun before it went down. It may not be a great bike for beginners but I don't feel intimidated by it and with careful riding felt very good on it. It was one of my first times really riding in traffic and I feel I just need more experience doing it, no matter what bike I'm on.

Member #
    That answers what was going to be my next question: would you buy it again, or another?

Quote Originally Posted by v2Bob View Post
    Yes take the MSF course but it's only the beginning of your riding education.
    I absolutely agree. The one thing I came away with was that I have a LOT to learn, and I've only just begun.

Member #
    This is in no way a "beginner," motorcycle. Anyone who says so is setting someone up to die.

Member #
    I don't think the FZ-09 is the best bike to start with. Way too much torque down low compare to an inline 4 that is very mellow until 7-8K RPM.

I've been riding for many years and after 43K miles on my FZ6R, it took me a week to get use to the low end power and how sensitive the throttle is in the first few gears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Adjuster likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom707 View Post
    I just joined this site but had to respond to this, being that I am the owner of this bike based on what I've read. I was not embarrassed at the dealer for any reason. I was told I should leave it there for the insurance adjustor to take a look at it and because the policy was so new it has taken them a while to get around to it. I am a new rider, and yes as a new rider I am bound to make mistakes on the motorcycle. I just wanted to say that it had nothing to do with the bike being overpowering that caused me to go down on it. I drove it home from Yuba City, 45 miles away with no issues and I'm not a cocky rider or someone who will act like an idiot while riding. I had no issues with the throttle and was riding it in B mode when I went down on it at about 15 miles per hour. Coming out of a 4 way stop I shifted from first to second gear and the bike didn't initially respond when I turned the throttle. Then, when it did respond it did it in a way that was herky jerky while I was taking an easy corner and instead of grabbing the clutch like I should have I tried to keep control and went into the curb. I did make a noob mistake with it but overall riding had not been an issue and I was leaving it in B mode being the noob I am. I just wanted to say that even being a beginner, the power hasn't been an issue as I've been very careful with my right wrist but what happened was unfortunate and could have happened on any bike I would have bought. What matters now is I learned a lesson on how to react since it takes time for all the reactions to different situations to become muscle memory.
    It wasn't overpowered? The Jerkyness is an inherent attribute to the high torque/power output. This would have probably not happened with a ninja 250. Shit happens though. Good luck.
    Crosshairs likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marthy View Post
    I don't think the FZ-09 is the best bike to start with. Way too much torque down low compare to an inline 4 that is very mellow until 7-8K RPM.

I...
    I'm as big a proponent of freedom as anyone, and can't stand the whole nanny state "wear a seat belt, wear a helmet" (even though I do both, without hesitation. I just don't like being told to do so) But there is some wisdom in countries like Australia and the U.K. having graduated rider programs. Start beginners off on a bike small enough to not intimidate, or get them into trouble too fast. let them work their way up, after proving that they can handle larger displacement, heavier, more powerful machines. This practice also ensures high turnover in smaller displacement machines, making them cheap and readily available in the aftermarket. - lowering the cost of entry, and allowing more people to ride.

Anyone who's been around motorcycles long enough has heard horror stories about young, enthusiastic kids rushing out to buy the latest liter bike, only to wad the thing up hours/days/weeks down the road. A graduated license program would ensure that the people riding the high-horsepower bikes have the skill to do so, making it safer for all road users.
    marthy, v2Bob, Willowbilly and 6 others like this.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links