FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

This is a discussion on FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I just joined this site but had to respond to this, being that I am the owner of this bike based on what I've read. ...

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

Member #
    I just joined this site but had to respond to this, being that I am the owner of this bike based on what I've read. I was not embarrassed at the dealer for any reason. I was told I should leave it there for the insurance adjustor to take a look at it and because the policy was so new it has taken them a while to get around to it. I am a new rider, and yes as a new rider I am bound to make mistakes on the motorcycle. I just wanted to say that it had nothing to do with the bike being overpowering that caused me to go down on it. I drove it home from Yuba City, 45 miles away with no issues and I'm not a cocky rider or someone who will act like an idiot while riding. I had no issues with the throttle and was riding it in B mode when I went down on it at about 15 miles per hour. Coming out of a 4 way stop I shifted from first to second gear and the bike didn't initially respond when I turned the throttle. Then, when it did respond it did it in a way that was herky jerky while I was taking an easy corner and instead of grabbing the clutch like I should have I tried to keep control and went into the curb. I did make a noob mistake with it but overall riding had not been an issue and I was leaving it in B mode being the noob I am. I just wanted to say that even being a beginner, the power hasn't been an issue as I've been very careful with my right wrist but what happened was unfortunate and could have happened on any bike I would have bought. What matters now is I learned a lesson on how to react since it takes time for all the reactions to different situations to become muscle memory.

Member #
    Welcome Venom707, I'm glad you're ok. Yep, takes practice, good if you can find a place without much activity and plenty of room. I was lucky to learn as a kid on the farm with a 150 pound 6HP SL-70. Lots of "oops" but no real harm.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bodypilot View Post
    Mode A is not forgiving of poor throttle / clutch work for many, not just beginners. Mode B is a state of ignorant bliss lol
    Perhaps, but I haven't used anything but mode B yet. I'll use Standard and Mode A only when confident that all of my other control inputs are appropriate to the FZ-09's handling characteristics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhorton View Post
    Guy gives a bad name to beginners. Sounds like the didn't know what the f$@& he was doing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I have learned that some people have no business riding motorcycles. They will never get it. They just don't have the balance, coordination, mental timing, etc.. I have an adventure touring friend that totaled a bike before my very eyes panicking in a turn, falls over in slow tight stuff, and drops his bike. He loves motorcycles, but I don't have the heart to tell him that he will never, ever get it. I just encourage him to take more courses and riding schools because he loves the sport. Luckily he rides slow.
    rob5006, cjhorton, CD599 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Thank you for the clarification, Venom. It's helpful to have another beginner's perspective. I apologize for my premature and condescending remark.

...from my phone...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DNFDOUG View Post
    I have learned that some people have no business riding motorcycles. They will never get it. They just don't have the balance, coordination, mental timing, etc.. I have an adventure touring friend that totaled a bike before my very eyes panicking in a turn, falls over in slow tight stuff, and drops his bike. He loves motorcycles, but I don't have the heart to tell him that he will never, ever get it. I just encourage him to take more courses and riding schools because he loves the sport. Luckily he rides slow.
    That was clear with the one person that dropped out of the class. At least she had the wisdom to recognize it.

I plan on utilizing a large nearby vacant lot for a lot of practice of different sorts.

...from my phone...

Member #
    So how many people here think that the horsepower of a motorcycle makes absolutely no difference when you make a mistake with the inputs?
    Brvt1000 likes this.

Member #
    Foot in mouth. I gave my wife a CBR600F2 after completing her MSF. Not a beginners bike. I gave her an accelerated speed course, had her follow me, mimick my lines, body position, braking points, look through corners, etc. Each ride I would go faster. She is an athlete, never waivered. Runs with the boys now. What took her long was slow parking lot maneuvers , etc. I tend to forget that I was thrashing minibikes when I was 10 and racing by 11, some 43 years of riding experience. My first street bikes were hyper fast 2-strokes, so I am not in a position to talk.
    eolith likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post
    So how many people here think that the horsepower of a motorcycle makes absolutely no difference when you make a mistake with the inputs?
    It makes a difference. a huge difference. take my WR 250. once rolling, you can whack the throttle open as hard as you want in any gear and it won't buck you off. Try that in 1st or 2nd on the FZ and you'll end up on your head.

Venom: Welcome to the forum, Sorry to hear about your accident - hope you weren't hurt. I'd rethink the grabbing the clutch in a turn thing though. I have found that typically, you'll want power engaged while you're turning instead of coasting through turns.

Member #
    Glad you OK,I have been riding for over 40 years and this bike has scared me a couple of times ! but is is soooooooo much fun !

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links