FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

This is a discussion on FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Originally Posted by CD599 Answer> all the ones on this forum crashed. And after the crash, they STILL think HP had nothing to do with ...

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CD599 View Post
    Answer> all the ones on this forum crashed. And after the crash, they STILL think HP had nothing to do with it. You can't teach a pig to sing. All you end up doing is annoying the pig.
    Just because it's a powerful bike and some noobs have crashed it doesn't mean the two were related. They probably all drank coffee that same day also. There are many mistakes you can make on any bike.

That said, FZ-09 is my first bike, though I have ridden 50cc scooters for over 10 years (why I waited so long is unclear). I love it. I've had Stoltec's reflash which was an huge improvement and always ride in B-Mode except for twice that I've sampled STD. The fact that there is torque/power available at any moment I think isn't bad at all for two reasons:

1) You don't get a feeling that it's taking off on you as the revs build - it's nice even, and
    2) If you've forgotten to switch down a gear in time you still have the power you need to pull you through or get you out of trouble.

3000km so far (vacation took away from my riding time) and the more I ride it the more I like it.
    redrider and MoFZio like this.

Member #
    I'm a firm believer people oughta start with like 45 or so HP.

Member #
    This guy may have been one of those accidents waiting to happen even on a vespa. Some people just don't have what it takes to ride well ,like good balance eyesight strength smooth on gas and brakes scanning ahead just a few things on a long list. The one thing I know about the 09 is it will only go as fast as you want it to and the b mode is very smooth. RR
    Steve101 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Just because it's a powerful bike and some noobs have crashed it doesn't mean the two were related. They probably all drank coffee that same day also. There are many mistakes you can make on any bike.

That said, FZ-09 is my first bike, though I have ridden 50cc scooters for over 10 years (why I waited so long is unclear). I love it. I've had Stoltec's reflash which was an huge improvement and always ride in B-Mode except for twice that I've sampled STD. The fact that there is torque/power available at any moment I think isn't bad at all for two reasons:

1) You don't get a feeling that it's taking off on you as the revs build - it's nice even, and
    2) If you've forgotten to switch down a gear in time you still have the power you need to pull you through or get you out of trouble.

3000km so far (vacation took away from my riding time) and the more I ride it the more I like it.
    Since you replied to me....your case is very different than a guy who never rode before. HP does matter. A person gets in trouble waaayyy faster on a 100hp motorcycle than it does on a 9 hp scooter. ,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    It's not about the HP, it's about the torque. 600 supersports have nothing until 8k or 10k RPM. The FZ has everything starting from something like 3k RPM. It's a much better street bike because of that. On the street you're not typically winding it out to red line, so something like the FZ really suits street riding with its torque always on tap. Because of that, it's not great for beginners because coupled with the upright seating position it'll punch you in the face and put you on your ass. LOL
    Yea...I know all that. Guess it did not come across, the way I wanted it too.

Thought it was amusing that the 600, was underpowered for the rookie motorcyclist. He needed more so soon.
    Carry on.

Member #
    Personally I feel that they should offer a motorcycle course that encompasses the basic dynamics of a motorcycle for beginner riders. Not so much how to ride it - but simply how two wheels and an engine works together.
    I am in no way saying I'm an expert rider, but when I was young I always enjoyed learning how things worked and that has helped my progression tremendously. Keith Code's 'Twist of the Wrist' does a great job of explaining what the motorcycle is doing at any given time.

If you better understand how things work, you will discover that harmony between man and machine - Isn't that why we ride?

I learned to ride street on a track-day built GSXR-750. If you respect the power and have an understanding on what's going on between your legs you will not only have more fun, but also create the addiction we have to keep on learning more and gaining skill every ride!
    The FZ-09 has an abundance of power for sure, but is certainly something that is manageable and controllable.. With the right mindset.
    Steve101 likes this.

Member #
    Shinysideup you never tried A mode -ha,ha,ha,ha! The dark side awaits you.
    And hi .

Member #
    Now to discuss the first newbie thing. If you are big or if you are not in any hurry to learn motorcycles this is a great bike to begin on.
    Cleaning it is great compared with cruisers. It weight shifts around manhole covers or you can crisp throttle the front up to smooth out the ride.
    Sex appeal , I never had any motorcycle get the stares and conversation started by others like this. A is something unusual , really , the bmw that got naked is 1000 and somewhere near 160hp . Yamaha got me figured out mostly except for the sprocket sizes 47t and 15t on a 425 chain , the hp and torque was right. I am an 850 rider. Many of you just found out that you are too.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    CD599........I agree wholeheartedly with most of what you said....especially about the new riders and the "re-entry" riders. I do think though that it still somewhat depends on the new rider's attitude and ego regarding the bike.
    "Born-Again Rider" = Me (19yr sabbatical)

"Re-entry" = Burst forth on FZ09.

"Rider's attitude" = One's manner of walk thru life... often incompatible with riding MC's. Too many have little or no situational awareness, context.
    Steve101 likes this.
    Machine: Red '14 FZ09

WARNING: This bike will put a permanent smile on your face!

Member #
    The salesman needed to tell new owners to start in B mode, even for experienced riders. This was a major oversight by Yamaha.

I bought my bike in April. Sure I rode it a good 100 miles that first day in STD, but it wasn't until I was home that evening and read my owners manual that I learned about the different modes. New bikes with the 2015 map will not have this problem.

During that first day I mistakenly stopped at a Harley group's rally ride. After very rudely being told, This is private! I pulled away and stalled it because I wasn't used to it yet. I quickly restarted and got out of there. But I heard a belly laugh from one of the fat ass bikers. Jerks, this is why I don't wave. So Yamaha caused me some embarrassment.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links