Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

FZ-08 vs FZ-09 :-)

This is a discussion on FZ-08 vs FZ-09 :-) within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; A customer in my local dealership was asking the sales guy who happened to be standing next to me what the differences were between the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bodypilot
  • 1 Post By pigdog

Thread: FZ-08 vs FZ-09 :-)

Member #

Talking FZ-08 vs FZ-09 :-)

A customer in my local dealership was asking the sales guy who happened to be standing next to me what the differences were between the FZ-08 and 09 were. This was in context of the dealer saying (accurately) that the only 09 they had seen was already sold earlier in the week and that the only bikes available now were the two heavily discounted 08s. He said "minor styling and geometry differences". I guess that was his job, try to sell what they have in stock.

For anyone reading this I will give my opinion having time on both and a long list of 600>1L sport bikes which give me just enough judgement to spot the difference.

The 8 and 9 are completely different bikes. There is really very little to call comparable other than perhaps some portion of the target market and the cosmetic resemblance. When it comes to ride they are chalk and cheese.

The 9 as everyones reviews concur has a dreamy motor which allows complete incompetent pilots to feel like track stars. The bike is setup well enough to enter and exit corners using the power of mind control alone and the bike looks like it wants to bite you. Yes I agree that there is a little lacking at the nose end for feel and the A-mode mapping is tiresome in traffic but f me those are hard to find gripes.

The 8 has a motor that has to be asswhipped to be barley interesting. The handling is muted out of the box but can be improved with wasted money and has the appearance of the strange looking kid at school who no one really knew or talked to.

Don't be deceived. If you have an $8k (+rape) budget then DO NOT listen to the dealer and buy a '13 FZ8.

You have been warned :-)
    Last edited by bodypilot; 10-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Lynchy803 likes this.
    Like my 09 :-)

W8andC
    But won't the FZ8 go 142 mph? LOL!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by W8andC View Post
    But won't the FZ8 go 142 mph? LOL!
    He he I honestly liked the styling on the FZ8 better. And with a little motor work, it's a screamer, I know some people who did little more than an exhaust & tune and brought it up to 135-140 HP at the wheel. I sure wouldn't mind owning one.

W8andC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellmon View Post
    He he I honestly liked the styling on the FZ8 better. And with a little motor work, it's a screamer, I know some people who did little more than an exhaust & tune and brought it up to 135-140 HP at the wheel. I sure wouldn't mind owning one.
    The inline four has a lot of potential. It's pretty easy to make up the HP difference at the rear wheel between the 8 and 9 if someone wants to do that. An air filter alone is probably worth 5 HP. Get a slip-on, Power Commander, and K&N and you can get some pretty good power there. However you are probably looking at $1500 to do it. Still 50 pounds heavier but after all it's a street bike.
    FZ-08 vs FZ-09   :-)-11_234_shootout-66.jpg

Member #
    i own a 2013 fz8 with less than 1,000mi on the odometer & am perfectly happy. no glitches. the shock is less than perfect ( very little rebound adjustment) but that is remedied with a better shock. well the dealer called me yesterday & said that the fz-09 that i ordered was here. i didn't order a fz-09. what the hell? then i asked what i could get on a trade in & he said my bike & $1,000 would do the trick. now im totally confused about what to do

Member #
    Were you on the RSW forum? Honestly, if you're happy with the FZ8 I wouldn't feel the need to trade. Seems kind of messed up to pay $1,000 more, for a bike that MSRP's for $1,000 less. I know there's depreciation and all obviously, but it rubs me the wrong way.

W8andC
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    i own a 2013 fz8 with less than 1,000mi on the odometer & am perfectly happy. no glitches. the shock is less than perfect ( very little rebound adjustment) but that is remedied with a better shock. well the dealer called me yesterday & said that the fz-09 that i ordered was here. i didn't order a fz-09. what the hell? then i asked what i could get on a trade in & he said my bike & $1,000 would do the trick. now im totally confused about what to do
    That seems very strange; based on what some people were saying about the FZ8 being old news and having no resale value, this deal seems not to support that. The guy obviously seems to believe he can get top dollar for your FZ8.

I don't think anyone will be too upset if I suggest you hold onto your FZ8 for now; the supply of FZ9's is extremely limited and I am sure someone will snap it up and it'll go to a good home. Meanwhile, they are both Yamahas so you're good to go there.

Full disclosure: I am a very, very happy FZ8 owner with about 5,300 miles on the clock. Ohlins shock and fork oil change fixed it right up for my riding style. Put a few thousand more miles on it, and when the next batch of FZ9's show up you'll know more about what you want to do. If you get the Nine you will certainly have to fix the suspension, anyway, so upgrades are a given along those lines.

I was considering the Nine for a second bike but am holding off for now until I see what can be done with it to meet my needs. No hurry.

Member #
    Along those same lines, it's probably not a bad idea to wait a bit and give Yamaha a chance to sort all the bugs out. There will probably be some, being a completely new design.

Member #
    i saw it, i liked it, i bought it with nary a bitter word from the wife so its all good.
    W8andC likes this.

Links